[net.politics.theory] What is a libertarian goverment?

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (02/19/85)

In article <4852@ukc.UUCP> ncg@ukc.UUCP writes:
>Is murder punishable by a fine, then, the profit from which goes to
>the family of the victim?

Yes. If the person murdered were supporting a family, the fine should be
sufficient to cover for the loss of the victims income for a minimum of
several years.

>Presuming that no other country wants the murderer, that is.

No - compensating the victims comes *first*. If the criminal can't pay,
then he gets thrown out of the society. Certain crimes (murder and rape
being first on the list) have being thrown out of the society as an
automatic fine, regardless of whether the criminal can pay the
compensation.

>And presuming that you meant nothing more sinister when you said
>'thrown out of the society' than deportation.

Killing a criminal is a last resort, and my perfect libertarian government
doesn't do such things. 'Thrown out of society' means just that: you lose
all privileges associated with being a member of society, that is, you lose
your citizenship in Communitaria (Leftern Liberteria :-). The criminal gets
air fare out of Cummunitaria, and citizenship papers with an expiration
date.  After that date, you can't (in the eyes of the government) be the
victim of a crime, including murder.

>Honest enquiry.
>-Nigel Gale

Honest answer,