[net.politics.theory] Reply to R. Caley

kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ken Montgomery) (03/01/85)

[]
From: orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER)
>> Yes being human entails obligations but It's wrong for someone to **FORCE**
>> his Idea of those obligations on me.
>
>This deals with one of my primary points: YES, being human implies certain
>*obligations* to one's fellow humans and particularly children.

Why is that?

>I think Libertarians if they consider it, will have to agree that there is
>some sort of positive *duty* to care for the next generation. It is
>not just a "nice idea", it is essential to maintaining humanity!

I'm not a [Ll]ibertarian, per se, but I still disagree with the idea
that I have a "*duty*" to care for the next generation.  Why is it
my duty to maintain the continuity of the species?

--
The above viewpoints are mine.  They are unrelated to
those of anyone else, including my cats and my employer.

Ken Montgomery  "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm  [Usenet, when working]
kjm@ut-ngp.ARPA  [for Arpanauts only]