[net.politics.theory] Who deserves what?

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (03/15/85)

Laura Creighton says:

> I assume that *everybody* deserves what they get until I can see
> some evidence of coercion -- fraud included.

That doesn't seem like a good assumption.  I was born into a good
home in an affluent country -- how did I deserve that more than
those who were not so fortunate?  And if everyone deserves the
same start that I got, then those who didn't get it have been
defrauded in some way, so that forced redistribution of wealth
would be a proper thing to do.  And if I didn't deserve it, then
by what right can I withhold the benefits thereof from others?

Gary Samuelson

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (03/18/85)

In article <754@bunker.UUCP> garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:
>Laura Creighton says:
>> I assume that *everybody* deserves what they get until I can see
>> some evidence of coercion -- fraud included.
>That doesn't seem like a good assumption.  I was born into a good
>home in an affluent country -- how did I deserve that more than
>those who were not so fortunate?  And if everyone deserves the
>same start that I got, then those who didn't get it have been
>defrauded in some way, so that forced redistribution of wealth
>would be a proper thing to do.  And if I didn't deserve it, then
>by what right can I withhold the benefits thereof from others?

Depends on your religious beliefs. Some will claim that you had a load of
good karma left over from your last life. Others will claim that it was
God's will (which is by definition just). Still others will claim that
putting you there then was the thing the Gods thought would be most
humorous. (1/2 :-)

The problem here, like so many other cases ignored by liberals, is that
there isn't any reasonable way to flatten out the differences.  As an
experiment, let's pick a thousand random children, born at roughly the same
time, into nearly identical circumstances.

Right off the bat, the kids are different. They have different sexes, hair
color, eye color, coordination, intelligence, etc. Any or all of these
things could affect how well they will do in the future. They also have
different parents, who will treat them differently. Some will be spoiled,
some may be abandoned. Some will be encouraged to read, and otherwise
taught to seek an education. Others will be allowed to do as they want, and
learn to see self-gratification. All of this will probably affect how they
do in the future.

And there isn't a lot you can do about it. The physical differences are
(currently) unfixable. The environmental differences can be fixed, by
taking the kids away from their parents and raising them in groups. This
would also fix the disparity in economic circumstances. At the same time,
you can insure that the kids don't grow up to be libertarians - or anything
else foolish enough to question the state. Thanks, but no thanks.

In other words, you won the luck of the draw (or the will of the Gods, or
the turn of the wheel). Forced redistribution of wealth is a partial
correction, but leaves the other - far more important - things broken. I
don't think the partial fix is worth giving others that much control of our
lives.

	<mike

[Just to prevent some useless flaming, I *do not* think children deserve
the rewards garnered by the labor of their parents after their parents are
dead.]

gwhawkins@watrose.UUCP (gwhawkins) (03/18/85)

> ...  I was born into a good
> home in an affluent country -- how did I deserve that more than
> those who were not so fortunate?  ...
> Gary Samuelson

According to Hindu and Buddhist theology, your birth is actually a
rebirth (reincarnation).  Therefore the status of the being that is
you is based upon your actions in past lives.
		larry fast (University of Waterloo)
		broadcasting from exile
PS I know this should be in religions but I couldn't resist.

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/18/85)

My definition of ``deserve'' is not founded on equality. It makes sense
to look at poor people and ask ``did they deserve this?''. Generally, the
answer is ``No.''. However, when you want to find out what injustice has
occurred, it is better to find certain people who have made terrible
choices than to say that in some magic way it is all ``the rich'''s fault.
Since I am a firm non-beliver in ``the White Man's burden'' that I am
wealthier than the third world inhabitants does not automatically make
me think that in some way I do not deserve what I have. If you go back to
a pre-industrial society, everybody in the world can be seen as being
relatively equally wealthy (except for feudal barons, kings and the like).
Everybody has a >75% infant mortality rate and starvation is common
everywhere. Now we are all equal -- this seems to be the natural state of
mankind.

If you say ``nobody deserves to live that way'' then you have a complaint
against God, perhaps, but hardly the current rich. It is also interesting
that if you decided to kill 1/3rd of the population of the globe, killing
the poorest (no, people, I do not advocate this, never have, and never
will) you will see that we still have more people than existed in the
middle ages, and the standard of living is much higher. This implies that
people fill nitches where they can starve and live in misery and poverty
whenever they can. Poverty may be an unending struggle unless you can
sterilize, or otherwise convince the poor to stop breeding more poor
people while you are trying to help them to raise their standard of living.
They may breed faster than you can industrialise.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

ncg@ukc.UUCP (N.C.Gale) (03/21/85)

The word 'deserve' inevitably brings the arguement to Death Duties:

Does an unproductive ne'er-do-well deserve the benefits of his
father's hard work?
Does an Etheopian child deserve a life measured in days rather than
years?

The problem is that no-one deserves to inherit anything, as they
haven't lived long enough at birth to have shown great worth.
The word 'deserve' is as vague as 'justice', and no two people
will have an identical opinion as to who deserves what.

What is the Libertarian view on death duties?
Surely in a system based on competition, it is unfair if one man
starts out better equipped to compete than another?
Death duties encourage a rich (wo)man to spend while (s)he is still
alive. (And what about gift tax... we don't want Mr E Scrooge giving
all his worldly to his son 20mins before he is due to snuff it -
or death duties would be 'unexpected death' duties).

I can see no solution to the death duties problem, so I am
interested to hear a Libertarian point of view, which would
doubtless be based on a system of logic entirely alien to
my own. I am always caused to think from a different slant by
the arguements of the libertarians. Some day I will grace you all
with my conclusions.

-Nigel Gale

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (03/27/85)

In article <4993@ukc.UUCP> ncg@ukc.UUCP (Nigel Gale) writes:
>Does an unproductive ne'er-do-well deserve the benefits of his
>father's hard work?

No.

>Does an Etheopian child deserve a life measured in days rather than
>years?

Why should an Etheopian child be notably different from the norm for humanity?

>The problem is that no-one deserves to inherit anything, as they
>haven't lived long enough at birth to have shown great worth.

And here we have a basic mistake that everybody is making in the
question of inheritance. More often than not, by the time anyone gets an
inheritance, they are *well* past birth, and half way to retirement
themselves. Inheritance usually has little, if anything, to do with
how well a person is going to do in life.

>Surely in a system based on competition, it is unfair if one man
>starts out better equipped to compete than another?

As previously pointed out, inheritance has little or nothing to do with
this. More important will be the environment provided by your parents,
in the form of books, encouragement and schooling. Most important will
be the set of attitudes your parents give you: are you responsible,
hardworking, thrifty, trustworthy, brave, loyal etc.

Of course, even if you flatten out these differences by bundling up
everybodies kids at birth and sending them to a creche to be raised (at
which point, I'm leaving - even if it involves dying trying to get
around the emigration restrictions.) you still haven't made everybody
equally well equipped to compete. I would do much better moving
furniture than my boss. She'd make a much better jockey than I would. It
behooves us to avoid fields we aren't well equipped to compete in.

	<mike

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (04/06/85)

> In article <754@bunker.UUCP> garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:
> The problem here, like so many other cases ignored by liberals, is that
> there isn't any reasonable way to flatten out the differences.  As an
> experiment, let's pick a thousand random children, born at roughly the same
> time, into nearly identical circumstances.
>
> Right off the bat, the kids are different. They have different sexes, hair
> color, eye color, coordination, intelligence, etc. Any or all of these
> things could affect how well they will do in the future. They also have
> different parents, who will treat them differently. Some will be spoiled,
> some may be abandoned. Some will be encouraged to read, and otherwise
> taught to seek an education. Others will be allowed to do as they want, and
> learn to see self-gratification. All of this will probably affect how they
> do in the future.....

Don't forget that the decisions that the kids make will have an
enourmous impact upon how well they do.  Environment isn't the only
factor.  Some will learn to be lazy, others will learn how to deal with
the world intelligently.  Random chance will operate as well.  It has
been said that lifes are changed because someone misses the bus (or
something like that).

No matter how much you try to even out the differences, SOMEONE will
screw it up or find a way to compromise the system.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"And he made the stars, too, and the world is one of the stars"