[net.politics.theory] The Myth of Robinson Crusoe : reply to Sykora

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (07/01/85)

> >From me:
> >Not even Communist societies prevent
> >individuals from producing all the widgets they want in their own
> >homes.
>
> From Michael Sykora:
> You've GOT to be joking  --  not even Communist societies?
> Our own society has passed numerous laws against working at home.

Our society has created numerous laws against working at home
*for profit or exchange* NOT for one's own use.
My point was that no society, including
Communist societies have laws against  creating products for *one's
own use* (unless such products themselves are banned e.g. guns and drugs).
This is the Robinson Crusoe model of society and the economy: the
rugged individualist producing all her/his own goods.
But this hardly covers any of our actual economic life, particularly
in our increasingly interdependent society.

Almost all current economic life involves *relations of exchange with others*.
Therefore it is not simply one individual involved but a social relation
between individuals.
As a social relation between individuals the members of society have
the right to decide that certain relations should be regulated to insure
*protection of all individuals rights*.
Most people would agree that murder is an unacceptable social relation.
Most people would also agree that people should not be exposed to
potentially fatal risks at their job unless they are very clear about
such risks.
Most people would agree that workers should not be subject to arbitrary
punishment at work without the possibility of lodging greivances.
The capability to lodge grievances against the caprice of managers
who simply take a personal dislike to somebody is an important
*protection* of individual rights made possible by the labor union
movement.
These advances were hardly an infringement of freedom but an
advance towards protecting individual's rights in the very important
social relation of employer-employee.
The irony is that Libertarians wish to remove these rights in the
name of freedom and liberty!

      tim sevener  whuxl!orb

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (07/04/85)

>/* orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) / 11:24 am  Jul  1, 1985 */

>Our society has created numerous laws against working at home
>*for profit or exchange* NOT for one's own use.
>My point was that no society, including
>Communist societies have laws against  creating products for *one's
>own use* (unless such products themselves are banned e.g. guns and drugs).

Why the differentiation between products for one's own use and products
to sell, give away, destroy or whatever?  In no case can the individual
be considered to be harming anyone.

>As a social relation between individuals the members of society have
>the right to decide that certain relations should be regulated to insure
>*protection of all individuals rights*.

Let us say that X is engaged in voluntary trade relations with Y.  Let us
suppose that there is no dishonesty involved (yes, such transactions do
take place).  What business has anyone else of forcefully or frudulently
interfering in such relations?

>Most people would agree that murder is an unacceptable social relation.

Murder is not a relation, but an action.

>Most people would agree that workers should not be subject to arbitrary
>punishment at work without the possibility of lodging greivances.
>The capability to lodge grievances against the caprice of managers
>who simply take a personal dislike to somebody is an important
>*protection* of individual rights made possible by the labor union
>movement.

The only basis for judging such punishments and grievances is whether
or not they violate the contract of employment.  To consider anything
else is tantamount to changing the rules in the middle of the game and
blatantly unfair.

>These advances were hardly an infringement of freedom but an
>advance towards protecting individual's rights in the very important
>social relation of employer-employee.

Except of course when the worker had grievances with the union and the
government said that the union is in charge and he has to listen to it.
And when the government said that X had to join the union if he wanted
to work in factory Y, even tho the manager of factory Y was willing to hire
him anyway (or because he wasn't a union member).

>The irony is that Libertarians wish to remove these rights in the
>name of freedom and liberty!

No, we wish to remove theses special priveliges in the name of freedom and
liberty.

>      tim sevener  whuxl!orb

						Mike Sykora

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (07/08/85)

> >Most people would agree that workers should not be subject to arbitrary
> >punishment at work without the possibility of lodging greivances.
> >The capability to lodge grievances against the caprice of managers
> >who simply take a personal dislike to somebody is an important
> >*protection* of individual rights made possible by the labor union
> >movement.
>
> The only basis for judging such punishments and grievances is whether
> or not they violate the contract of employment.  To consider anything
> else is tantamount to changing the rules in the middle of the game and
> blatantly unfair.

I see. So in other words, it would be perfectly acceptable to flog one's
workers if this was in the contract? Or to blacklist workers who try
to begin unions?
Shall we return to indentured servitude?  I had thought human rights
and decency made quite a bit of progress by *eliminating* indentured
servitude. (which is why almost all states have laws regulating any
garnishments of wages)  Apparently such protections of the individual's
rights vs the employer are moot in the Libertarian utopia.

> >These advances were hardly an infringement of freedom but an
> >advance towards protecting individual's rights in the very important
> >social relation of employer-employee.
>
> Except of course when the worker had grievances with the union and the
> government said that the union is in charge and he has to listen to it.
> And when the government said that X had to join the union if he wanted
> to work in factory Y, even tho the manager of factory Y was willing to hire
> him anyway (or because he wasn't a union member).

Several points:
  1)Unions must be approved by 70% of the workers who vote in union
    qualifying elections.  It is possible to hold new elections and
    some unions have been eliminated from workplaces by such elections, for
    ill or good.
    (Most unions are approved by  votes of over 90% )
  2)the worker *votes* for his Union leaders and shop stewards.  If
    these leaders do not do their job then the worker can also vote
    them out of office.  While most unions have become quite stodgy
    a number of unions have changed with the election of reform leaders
    like Trumka in the United MineWorkers.
  3)the owners and managers of factory Y are not elected by *anybody*
    the worker has absolutely no control over their autocratic rule:
    *unless* they band together democratically to form a union
  4)the *government* says nothing about whether worker X must join
    the union in factory Y - the workers themselves determine that
    when they vote to qualify a union to represent them.
  5)I find it laughable that you are so concerned about the worker
    (who has voted for the Union) being forced to join a Union but
    you are totally unconcerned if the worker is forced by managers
    to put her/his life at risk every day, to stifle her/his own
    free expression of opinions at work, and is given no control
    over how her/his work is done.

> >The irony is that Libertarians wish to remove these rights in the
> >name of freedom and liberty!
>
> No, we wish to remove theses special priveliges in the name of freedom and
> liberty.
> 						Mike Sykora

I see. It is a "special privilege" to be eliminated to allow workers to
band together and democratically vote for an organization to represent
and defend their interests and individual rights against autocratic management.
As I say, I certainly find this view of "freedom" most curious!!
                      tim sevener  whuxl!orb

wfl@maxvax.UUCP (w linke) (07/10/85)

>> >From: orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER)
>> >Not even Communist societies prevent
>> >individuals from producing all the widgets they want in their own
>> >homes.
>>
>> From Michael Sykora:
>> You've GOT to be joking  --  not even Communist societies?
>> Our own society has passed numerous laws against working at home.

>Our society has created numerous laws against working at home
>*for profit or exchange* NOT for one's own use.
>My point was that no society, including
>Communist societies have laws against  creating products for *one's
>own use* (unless such products themselves are banned e.g. guns and drugs).
>This is the Robinson Crusoe model of society and the economy: the
>rugged individualist producing all her/his own goods.

Whether or not a Communist government forbids private production per se
is irrelevant, because individuals are denied the fundamental right
of private property.  With resources owned by the state, private
production of any significance must be viewed as depriving the
state factories of raw materials, thereby injuring "the people"
for the benefit of an individual.  Furthermore, if by chance
someone did create something useful, he has no right to control
its use (which is the essence of property rights).  For example,
if a serf on a collective farm wants to build a tractor, by what means
could the necessary steel and tools be obtained?  And if he somehow did
manage to produce a tractor, will he have the right to claim it for
*his own use* while his neighbors still use oxen?

>But this hardly covers any of our actual economic life, particularly
>in our increasingly interdependent society.

True, but this interdependence is in large part the *result* of the fact
that we are still in a large measure free to take care of ourselves.
There is a direct relationship from the fact that farmers in this
country are free to build their own tractors to the fact that most don't
do so because lots of good quality tractors are manufactured and sold.

If this is not clear, remember that our interdependence (i.e., "division of
labor") is *voluntary* at its core; a farmer depends on the manufacturer
not because he has no alternatives, but because he thinks he will make
more profit and/or enjoy life more than if he builds his own tractors.
The less voluntary the economic system, the more incompatible it is
with a division of labor - other than between masters and slaves.
Examine the division of labor in any Marxist country, and find the
the majority of the population scraping away at the most basic
job in civilization: raising food.  (And they still starve!)

>Almost all current economic life involves *relations of exchange with others*.
>Therefore it is not simply one individual involved but a social relation
>between individuals.
>As a social relation between individuals the members of society have
>the right to decide that certain relations should be regulated to insure
>*protection of all individuals rights*.
>Most people would agree that murder is an unacceptable social relation.
>Most people would also agree that people should not be exposed to
>potentially fatal risks at their job unless they are very clear about
>such risks.
>Most people would agree that workers should not be subject to arbitrary
>punishment at work without the possibility of lodging greivances.
>The capability to lodge grievances against the caprice of managers
>who simply take a personal dislike to somebody is an important
>*protection* of individual rights made possible by the labor union
>movement.
>These advances were hardly an infringement of freedom but an
>advance towards protecting individual's rights in the very important
>social relation of employer-employee.

The end of this line of thought is that being murdered is "an unacceptable
social relation", just like working in a non-union shop!

You may be correct in your estimation of what most people would agree with.
But what does that have to do with rights?  If the majority felt that
murder was acceptable, would we lose our right to life?  Man's Rights,
as understood by the people who signed the Declaration of Independence,
are the political implementations of moral principles and as such are
inalienable - my life can be taken, but not my right to it.  This is the
canonical philosophical definition of "rights" (at least in the U.S.);
if you disagree with it then say so explicitly before using the term.

The social view of rights as being whatever the majority wants is
actually an attack on the concept of rights (and on morality).  You state
"the members of society have the *right* to decide ... to regulate ..."
(italics mine).  What gives them this right?  The fact that the majority
thinks they should have it?  A circular definition is a dirty weapon.

>The irony is that Libertarians wish to remove these rights in the
>name of freedom and liberty!
>
>	tim sevener  whuxl!orb

P.S. I am not a Libertarian.

	W. F. Linke