[net.politics.theory] The Principle of Non-interference

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (08/23/85)

In article <588@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>Ultimately, it is impossible to "not interfere" with our neighbors.  It
>is in the nature of the universe that everything we do affects everyone
>else, if only slightly.  And many of the things we do, or want to do,
>have very significant effects -- if we eliminate all such, there is very
>little left which can be done.
>
>For example, every power plant, of whatever type, generates pollution.
>Pollution undeniably interferes with others.  Should we then prohibit
>all power plants?  Obviously not [...]

You hit the nail right on the head, Frank!  There is no such thing as a
libertarian-compatible solution to pollution short of the ridiculous
idea of banning all pollution -- despite flimsy libertarian arguments to
the contrary.

That is one of the prime reasons I have been such a persistent anti-
libertarian, though I haven't discussed the issue since the Tom Craver era.
Please post your original article to net.politics.theory, where it definitely
also belongs.

--Paul V Torek, Iconbuster-In-Chief