[net.politics.theory] Seatbelts for passengers

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/20/85)

Mitch Marks writes:

>All the same, I'd like to propose another rationale in favor of the law, one
>which isn't respectable enough to make it as an official reason, but which
>is ultimately the real reason why I'm fer the law more than agin it.  All in
>all, I would rather wear a belt and be safe.  But (before the law) I would
>often feel silly -- like a nerdo wimp, you might say  -- or else, when a
>passenger, feel like I'm insulting the driver.  "I'd better get this belt
>on quick, 'cause I know you're gonna crash us."  Okay, so with the law
>in place all these second thoughts and strange projections can just
>evaporate.

Actually, this is a nontrivial reason in favor of such laws.  A law
can help change a collective behavior pattern in which all the
individual agents act rationally, yet the total result is far from
optimal.  For example:  everyone slows down to stare at an accident
on the freeway, and the result is a traffic jam in which every driver
spends ten extra minutes driving just to see an accident that each
driver individually would only want to spend ten extra *seconds* to
see.  Such patterns are common in interactions among people (they are
often called Prisoner's Dilemma or Free Rider situations), and in
general, individual rationality does not lead to a collectively
optimal situation.  The free market is a special case: the market
"works" (in the sense it may be said to work) because each agent
enters the marketplace *voluntarily*.  But this is not the general
case with social interactions.

In the case of a passenger (or driver, for that matter) who feels it
is "wimpy" or discourteous to use a seat belt in the absence of a
law, a law may change the situation as Mitch describes above, so that
for him using a belt is now the rational choice.  The result is that
at virtually no cost (since he is not being perceived as rude or a
wimp, and it takes ?1.5 sec to buckle up), he gets in return an large
increase in safety (50% reduction in chances of death or injury).
Multiply this by all drivers and passengers so affected, and the net
benefit to society would be large.  Furthermore, the same result
could obtain if a person is largely motivated by *habit* (which I
suspect is often the case WRT seat-belt usage) rather than social
norms that forbid wimpiness or discourtesy:  a law could provide the
situation that would change a person's habitual behavior at little
cost but great benefit to the individual.  But I'm speculating now.

An excellent book on this topic is Thomas Schelling's *Micromotives
and Macrobehavior*.

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (08/23/85)

In article <160@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>...  Such patterns are common in interactions among people (they are
>often called Prisoner's Dilemma or Free Rider situations), and in
>general, individual rationality does not lead to a collectively
>optimal situation.  The free market is a special case: the market
>"works" (in the sense it may be said to work) because each agent
>enters the marketplace *voluntarily*.  But this is not the general
>case with social interactions.

Indeed, Free Rider situations are a systematic problem for libertarianism,
which can at best take care of negative impacts inadvertantly inflicted
by everyone on others (e.g. pollution), not positive impacts (e.g. the
benefits one gives others by contributing to national defense).  It
cannot even handle all the negative impact situations adequately.  Liber-
tarian arguments on such issues falter and must ultimately fall back on
a fanatic insistence on the non-initiation principle, which, unfortunately,
is completely without ground in logic or fact.

--Paul V Torek, Iconoclast for all seasons
(coming soon to this theater near you: torek%umich-ciprnet@csnet-relay.arpa)

verdeyen@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (08/25/85)

Your point of view is interesting.  I have never considered it from that
viewpoint.  I have one problem with your argument, if it really mattered
to a person what other people thought of him, then that is his fault, and
it is not government's responsibility to relieve him of that syndrome.
For if government takes that responsibility, we could all be wearing uniforms
in a few years.   Clothing certainly reflects a person's personality, and
someone might be afraid people would consider him "wimpy" if he wore the wrong
color of shoes.
   My biggest problem, however, with the seatbelt law is the reason why it
was passed.  Here, in Illinois, there were no significant groups lobbying for
the law with public safety in mind.  The main lobby groups were affiliated
with car maufacturers whose sole interest was economic.  (If enough states
pass such seatbelt laws, auto makers won't have to install airbags in their
new line of cars; a costly operation.)  So my gripe is this: who exactly is
the government?  In regard to the seatbelt law, the people of Illinois sure
weren't.  One of the 'representatives' was quoted as saying, 'I've had a lot
of negative response to the proposed law, but I'm not going to let that change
my mind'... and she is "representing" her constituents???????
   At any rate, the precedent has been set in Illinois.  Big business has
stepped into government to protect its economic interest.  That isn't a
democracy, that's a corporation.  If big business is allowed to step in
the legislative process on a whim, what's next?  A law that requires
participation in a physical fitness program would benefit those in that
industry, and it sure would make America healthy.  So the next time the
governor signs a bill, and passes it off on the pretense that he's doing
it for the good of the public, you can bet it won't be a ban on alcohol or
tobacco.
			  Mike Verdeyen

josh@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (J Storrs Hall) (08/27/85)

In article <160@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
> ... A law
>can help change a collective behavior pattern in which all the
>individual agents act rationally, yet the total result is far from
>optimal. ...  Such patterns are common in interactions among people (they are
>often called Prisoner's Dilemma or Free Rider situations), and in
>general, individual rationality does not lead to a collectively
>optimal situation.  The free market is a special case: the market
>"works" (in the sense it may be said to work) because each agent
>enters the marketplace *voluntarily*.  But this is not the general
>case with social interactions.
>Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

Richard is teetering dangerously close to a valuable insight.
Namely, that there are some systems in which the rational behavior
of all the participants "sums" to the good of all (as in the market)
but that many systems work the opposite way.  In particular, political
systems work the opposite way:  it is impossible for everybody to
get rich by stealing from everybody else.

--JoSH

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (08/28/85)

> In article <160@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
> > ... A law
> >can help change a collective behavior pattern in which all the
> >individual agents act rationally, yet the total result is far from
> >optimal. ...  Such patterns are common in interactions among people (they are
> >often called Prisoner's Dilemma or Free Rider situations), and in
> >general, individual rationality does not lead to a collectively
> >optimal situation.  The free market is a special case: the market
> >"works" (in the sense it may be said to work) because each agent
> >enters the marketplace *voluntarily*.  But this is not the general
> >case with social interactions.
> >Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes
>
> Richard is teetering dangerously close to a valuable insight.
> Namely, that there are some systems in which the rational behavior
> of all the participants "sums" to the good of all (as in the market)
> but that many systems work the opposite way.  In particular, political
> systems work the opposite way:  it is impossible for everybody to
> get rich by stealing from everybody else.
>
> --JoSH

JoSH, what do you want to have in the absence of a political system?
When I deduced that a dictatorship, you were offended.  I am still
guessing.  My second guess: a theocracy, with the priests educated
in the Chicago shool of economy.

Perhaps I am offending you, but I want you to be more specific.

Piotr Berman