[net.politics.theory] Listen here, Paul V Torek!

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V Torek) (08/28/85)

fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin) writes:

>(Insert (:-) wherever necessary)
>
>Okay, Mr. Torek: enough's enough.  I've been watching you post your
>centrist drivel for the past few months, and I've had it.  As a
>self-proclaimed iconoclast, you have taken pleasure in punching
>holes in libertarian arguments wherever you can find them (although
>to your credit you admit it when you cannot).  Well I've
>got news for you: there is *no* philosophical doctrine that is
>without flaw.

Methinks some flaws are worse than others.  Libertarianism applied to
pollution would result in a tyranny of the risk-averse (if applied
consistently, with no fudging like your idea that the risk-averse
would pay extra for it (which we discussed in mail, electronic &
otherwise)).  I still think it implies (taken as a morality which
individuals must follow) that it's not OK to piss.

>Libertarianism seems to me infinitely better than any of the
>alternatives, so I support it.

If you mean libertarianism as a plan for a government, I might on
blue moons come dangerously close to agreeing.  But as a philosophical/
ethical position, it's at best groundless.

>However, as a committed wimp, (excuse me, centrist), you get to
>survey the intellectual frontier, picking and choosing the ideas you
>like.  So let me put this to you: which of the following doctrines,
>in your opinion, should we draw the most of our ideas from if we're
>going to solve as many problems of the world as possible?
>
>	1) conservativism
>	2) liberalism
>	3) libertarianism
>	4) populism
>	5) other (*NOT* centrism, please.  Centrism has no ideas of
>		 its own)

I suppose I'm closest to liberals out of the above; tho I do often agree
with libertarian conclusions on government policies (e.g.: oil and gas
price controls.  Comparable worth.  Social Security...).

A political viewpoint can be analyzed as a set of assumptions about "values"
and another set of assumptions about "facts".  It is the "values" area that
I disagree most severely with libertarianism on.  Non-interference is
called for most of the time (due to the *consequences*), but I just don't
see putting such an overriding emphasis on it.

--Paul V Torek, umcp-cs!flink

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (08/30/85)

In article <1412@umcp-cs.UUCP> flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V Torek) writes:
>fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin) writes:
>
>>	1) conservativism
>>	2) liberalism
>>	3) libertarianism
>>	4) populism
>>	5) other (*NOT* centrism, please.  Centrism has no ideas of
>>		 its own)
>
>I suppose I'm closest to liberals out of the above; tho I do often agree
>with libertarian conclusions on government policies (e.g.: oil and gas
>price controls.  Comparable worth.  Social Security...).
>
>A political viewpoint can be analyzed as a set of assumptions about "values"
>and another set of assumptions about "facts".  It is the "values" area that
>I disagree most severely with libertarianism on.  Non-interference is
>called for most of the time (due to the *consequences*), but I just don't
>see putting such an overriding emphasis on it.

I tend to agree with this. I was going to reply to the original posting,
but since it was directed at Mr Torek, I thought he ought to have first
shot. It seems to me that and 'ism' that is left out above is pragmatism.
Surely it must be possible to construct a political system which intervenes
when it is profitable to do so, and leaves well enough alone otherwise.
To this end, I am going to begin work on the constitution of Pragmataria.
If anybody wants to contribute their ideas by mail, I will try to work
them in. Should be ready with a first draft in a couple of weeks. At least
it should provide lots of net traffic.
>--Paul V Torek, umcp-cs!flink

Bob Weiler.