[net.politics.theory] National Defense

baba@spar.UUCP (Baba ROM DOS) (09/24/85)

Laura Creighton writes:
> What i do not want is full time (career) civil servants.  There undoubtably
> are people who would make good full time Judges, policemen and law makers
> but there are far too many who are not.  Therefore I propose limiting how
> long one can work for the state to 2 terms of (say) 5 years each. This will
> mean that there is a need for a great turnover of state employees.  There
> is no such thing as a free lunch, folks, so I think that the price that
> citizens of libertaria will have to pay to have their rights respected and
> a small state is compulsory work for the state for one term.  This does
> not mean that one must work as an infantry soldier, of course -- you can be
> a judge or a mayor or an elected official or a secretary or a programmer.
> Do not expect the salary to be good, however.

I find this strangely reminiscent of Jacksonian democracy.  There too,
the nominal objective was to prevent the coagulation of a bureaucracy by
institutionalizing a high turnover rate in public office, and there was
an egalitarian assumption that anyone should be able to assume a public
official's duties.

But I have to wonder:  If most people would make poor full-time judges and
generals, ought we not to spend some energy to find men of rare wisdom and
justice, imagination and energy, for such positions, rather than rotating
through a succession of functionaries statistically doomed to incompetence?
And just how impartial can a judge afford to be if he *knows* he's going to
have to hunt for work in the private sector within a few years?

						Baba