[net.politics.theory] Expenditure of Effort

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (09/15/85)

In article <3551@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> josh@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (J Storrs Hall) writes:
{ >> = Mike Huybenez }
>>Guess what: we already have most of that.  I've seen quite a number of
>>reports from many sources evaluating the relative merits of the 50 states
>>(and numerous nations) in all the categories above.  Moving between
>>states is as effortless as you wish.
>
>The point is *exactly* that it is *not* as effortless as I wish.  Can't
>you even *conceive* of the idea of changing providers of government
>services without being forced to change all of the other arrangements
>of your life?
>
>--JoSH

This is an aside to the original point, but my experience has been that
the most inconvenient part about changing residences is the neccessity of
acquiring a new drivers license, new registration and title, new bank,
etc. because these things are not done on a national ( or even international )
level. I have no objection to being licensed to drive, or having my car
titled, or having my bank regulated, but here it seems
to me that greater national control would improve the "quality of life".
It also seems that in Libertaria these things would be done on an even
smaller scale, and make moving even more inconvenient. JoSH can explain
why this is not so.

Bob Weiler.

josh@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (J Storrs Hall) (09/20/85)

In article <270@pedsgd.UUCP> bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) writes:
>...the most inconvenient part about changing residences is the neccessity of
>acquiring a new drivers license, new registration and title, new bank,
>etc. because these things are not done on a national ( or even international )
>level. I have no objection to being licensed to drive, or having my car
>titled, or having my bank regulated, but here it seems
>to me that greater national control would improve the "quality of life".
>It also seems that in Libertaria these things would be done on an even
>smaller scale, and make moving even more inconvenient. JoSH can explain
>why this is not so.
>Bob Weiler.

Love to.
Driver's license:
What's a driver's license?  (an artifact of the State)
Registration:
(ditto)
New Bank:
You may not be aware of this, but federal law currently prohibits
interstate banks.  And the hodgepodge of national regulations
rules out international banks.  In Libertaria *none* of the things you
mention would get in your way when you moved: they are all artifacts
of the State.  As are visas, passports, laws limiting the amount of
money you can take out of the country,  immigration quotas, etc. ad nauseum.

--JoSH

In article <3707@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> josh@topaz.UUCP (J Storrs Hall) writes:
>New Bank:
>You may not be aware of this, but federal law currently prohibits
>interstate banks.

	Hmm, well I think 1st Interstate Bank and Bank of America
would be very interested to learn that they are breaking the law!
(And they are not the only interstate banks, only the largest)
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa