[net.politics.theory] Defense in Libertaria, and other Amazing Stories

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (09/19/85)

In article <567@x.UUCP> wjr@x.UUCP (STella Calvert) writes:
>[In Libertaria, I'd] know that my neighbors, likewise free, would be
>ready to defend our common condition of non-coercion by killing the coercers.

Not unless there is a very strong community spirit and you have very brave
neighbors.  Otherwise many neighbors will cop out, either fleeing or hoping
that the rest of the community will succeed while she (the cop-out-er)
covers her ass.  Before the war, the cop-out-ers also don't contribute to
the town's (or region's) Buy-a-tank-and-some-antitank-missiles Fund.

>But (I think I hear a voice crying) how are you going to defend yourself
>against a rival group with nuclear weapons?  Simple.  I'm not. [...] So nuke
>me!  <no smiley -- nuclear terrorism only works if there are organizations
>that can be blackmailed into surrendering for the individual.>

How incredibly naive.  As if nuclear terrorism couldn't work by making an
example out of a few libertarian towns and then warning the rest not to
resist -- or else.

--Paul V Torek, busting them simplistic icons over and over and over...

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (09/26/85)

<>
Note: This is STella Calvert, a guest on ...decvax!frog!wjr.

In article <239@umich.UUCP> torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) writes:
>In article <567@x.UUCP> wjr@x.UUCP (STella Calvert) writes:
>>[In Libertaria, I'd] know that my neighbors, likewise free, would be
>>ready to defend our common condition of non-coercion by killing the coercers.
>Not unless there is a very strong community spirit and you have very brave
>neighbors.  Otherwise many neighbors will cop out, either fleeing or hoping
>that the rest of the community will succeed while she (the cop-out-er)
>covers her ass.  Before the war, the cop-out-ers also don't contribute to
>the town's (or region's) Buy-a-tank-and-some-antitank-missiles Fund.

I wouldn't contribute to the Tanks for the Invasion Fund either.  But if I've
armed my neighborhood defenses, tanks would not be a major problem.  Landscape
repair might be, though.  What percentage of the population is militarily
effective in the United Statist Army?  Someone, perhaps in this
newsgroup, pointed out that an army that is 3% effective will beat one that is
2% effective.  And even though I am not a martial arts wiz I can provide hot
meals and covering fire, and subscribe to a security service in advance.

And I assume that there will be what _you_ call cop outs.  I accept that there
are people who think killing is wrong under any circumstances.  I don't agree
with them, but I'll kill or die for their right to be left peacefully in their
folly.  I further accept that I am pigheadedly stubborn, and would rather be a
dead freewoman than a live slave.  This may be stupid enough to get me killed
someday.  Other people may doubt the value of dying for their rights.  But
all fall in the same category as sick, old, young, and pregnant
folks.  It's in my interest to protect them, because a threat against one
of us is a threat against us all.  And I may someday fall into the
non-combatant class myself.

>How incredibly naive.  As if nuclear terrorism couldn't work by making an
>example out of a few libertarian towns and then warning the rest not to
>resist -- or else.

How incredibly naive.

I've discussed this in another article, but the nut is this.  I will not live
in a libertaria unless I succeed in selling the idea that coercion must be
resisted.  That it is both stupid and dangerous to surrender to blackmail.
Unless individual responsibility for safety becomes a widely distributed
value, there will not be a libertaria to resist nuclear blackmail.  And if
individual responsibility within a community of interest permits a libertaria,
I doubt that nuclear terrorism will work.

If you think I'm hand-waving this one, give me help -- the nastiest questions
you can ask.  It's a lot too important to be wrong on.  Thank you.

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (10/02/85)

In article <779@x.UUCP> wjr@x.UUCP (STella Calvert) writes:
>>Not unless there is a very strong community spirit and you have very brave
>>neighbors.  Otherwise many neighbors will cop out, either fleeing or hoping
>>that the rest of the community will succeed while she (the cop-out-er)
>>covers her ass.  Before the war, the cop-out-ers also don't contribute to
>>the town's (or region's) Buy-a-tank-and-some-antitank-missiles Fund.
>
>I wouldn't contribute to the Tanks for the Invasion Fund either.  But if I've
>armed my neighborhood defenses, tanks would not be a major problem.  Landscape
>repair might be, though.  What percentage of the population is militarily
>effective in the United Statist Army?

Mines aren't going to be a very cost-effective idea without some more mobile
defenses, but let the experts debate that one.  In a war, virtually the whole
working population of USA is militarily effective.  Of course, chickenhearted
Libertaria-ns could man the factories too, I suppose, but the problem is
liable to be that they won't stick around to do so.

>And I assume that there will be what _you_ call cop outs.  I accept that there
>are people who think killing is wrong under any circumstances. [...] Other
>people may doubt the value of dying for their rights.

Or rather, the value of dying for *other people's* rights:  my fighting for
Libertaria spreads benefits thinly to many Libertaria-ns, only one of whom
is myself.

>...  It's in my interest to protect them, because a threat against one
>of us is a threat against us all.

Yes if you count altruistic concern among your "interests" (the sense of
"interest" being "things you're interested in" rather than "self-interest").
A narrowly selfish person would think, however, that it was in his interest
to be a free rider: the small chance that *his* support would make the diff-
erence of which side won being outweighed by the sizable chance that
he'd get his ass blown off.

>I've discussed this in another article, but the nut is this.  I will not live
>in a libertaria unless I succeed in selling the idea that coercion must be
>resisted.  That it is both stupid and dangerous to surrender to blackmail.
>Unless individual responsibility for safety becomes a widely distributed
>value, there will not be a libertaria to resist nuclear blackmail.

You assert: 1) Libertaria will not arrive unless people come to have these
attitudes you describe.  2) If people have these attitudes nuclear blackmail
will not work, so it won't be used.  You hint: 3) these attitudes make
perfect sense.

3) is far from obvious; I think many people would have to become a lot
less selfish before they could ever accept 3).  2) I'll grant you, though
I wonder if aggressive states will *realize* the futility of nuclear
blackmail even if it *is* futile.  1) is false:  I would accept Libertaria
if I thought that govt was as dangerous and inefficient as most libertarians
think, even though I would never accept the irrational base values most
libertarians take as axioms.

--Paul V. Torek						torek@umich