[net.politics.theory] Logic, fact, preference, and social

nrh@inmet.UUCP (09/24/85)

>/* Written  3:49 pm  Sep 17, 1985 by torek@umich in inmet:net.politics.t */
>/* ---------- "Logic, fact, preference, and social" ---------- */
>
>Nat Howard (nrh@inmet.UUCP) writes:
>>>... you might personally experience coercion as so galling as to
>>>negate in your own mind any positive result it might bring about, but there
>>>is no *logic* in such a perspective.  Just preference.
>>>						Baba
>
>>Agreed. ...
>>...  I know of no postulates, anywhere, that have any basis in logic or fact.
>
>>As you say, and as I said, "logic" cannot be the basis for what you
>>prefer.  I'm real curious to see if Paul Torek can come up with any
>>social order that has a basis in "logic or fact".
>
>Logic can't be the basis for what you prefer, but fact can.  Facts about
>what's good for you can be a basis for non-moral preferences ("moral" used
>here in the narrow sense of evaluations of ways of treating others).  More
>generally (it gets fun now):  whether a particular, conrete action is right
>or wrong is an empirical fact about it, as are how much time it takes and
>how many calories it expends.  For example (an example very much to the point),
>whether it is right for me to support a given "social order" comes to
>whether I would do so if I considered it rationally and with knowledge of
>relevant information.

The idea that a "particular action" is right or wrong according to
some objective metric comparable to calories consumed or how long it
takes strikes me as suspect.  The idea that such a thing could be
empirical is ludicrous, unless you consider yourself able either to
discount potential completely, or evaluate it accurately.  For
example, how could one know empirically whether it was right to abort
a particular fetus?  Suppose it were the fetus of a new Einstein?  A
new Hitler?  In one case the abortion may be (according to some
irrationally-chosen metric) a bad idea.  In the other case, by the
same metric, it was a good idea.  But one doesn't know how a
particular fetus would turn out, so one cannot experience empirical
rightness or wrongness to such an act (because one doesn't have the
information available to evaluate it against the metric). [PRO/ANTI
ABORTIONISTS: SEE NOTE BELOW BEFORE RESPONDING]

>Relevant information includes (and as far as I can tell only includes) facts
>about benefits/harms to myself and others flowing from the social system
>under consideration.  Effects on others will be weighted, relative to effects
>on myself, according as I have reasons for considering them similarly or
>differently.  Some assignments of weights would be rationally indefensible;
>for examples, giving no weight to others, or giving no weight to oneself.

Bingo!  You've agreed with me.  So long as the assignments of weights are
indefensible (and I doubt very much if you can find any that don't have
some indefensible basis), there can be no "rational basis" for evaluating
a social system -- any such basis itself depends on what weights you
choose, which in turn (at least partially, according to your statement)
depends upon irrational criteria.

>(Either assignment would be self-defeating, given that caring about others
>improves one's own life and vice versa.  Furthermore, neither position could
>be agreed on by a rational community, for reasons which I hope are not hard
>to see.)
>
>A moral viewpoint is downright irrational if (I do not say iff) it fulfills
>both of the following conditions:  it has no basis in logic or fact; a
>principle that does have such basis can conflict with it.  "Prisoners-
>Dilemma" type situations show that when two or more people have different
>objectives, coercion can sometimes make all parties better off.  Since it is
>compellingly rational that something should be done when it benefits
>everyone and harms no one, any principle that would rule out coercion in
>all such "Prisoners-Dilemma" situations MUST be incorrect.  UNLESS of course,
>it has some independent basis in logic or fact -- and if you think so,
>then dammit, SUPPLY IT!

Let's consider the "prisoner's dilemma" problem.  By adding the element
of coercion, you've added a second factor to be figured in with the
ostensible payoff.  Instead of "years in prison" being the only basis
for choosing a particular cell in the payoff matrix, one must now
choose "years in prison AND accept/deny coercive input".  In other
words, some folks would rather spend the additional years in prison
rather than have a military type tell them how to get out of it.  Is
this rational? Why certainly NOT, but the point is that ALL such
weighting decisions are at base, irrational.

In short, your assumption is that the years spent in prison are
absolutely more important than the degree of interference from outside.
That's YOUR rationally-indefensible weighting.  If people acted
rationally in such situations, why aren't Clarke taxes widespread?
If they DON'T act rationally, is it right to seize power (violently) and
impose Clarke taxes?  Why not?

>One more point and then I'll rest.  If Nat Howard thinks it all comes down
>to subjective, nonrational preferences, and knows (as he ought, in outline)
>my values, why is he bothering trying to convince me to favor his favored
>social order?

You've mistaken my purpose in posting.  I'm not trying to convince you
and you alone.  I'm trying to make a position clear to whoever cares to
listen.

>Is he engaging in ideological mystification -- pretending
>that I have *reason* to change my mind, in hopes I won't catch on?

I'm pointing out holes in your logic where I see them -- if Daniel
McK. can convince you of the wrongness of public schools, perhaps I
can convince you of the danger of imposing "rational" weightings on
people who must choose their own weightings on irrational grounds.
Besides, that preferences are irrational does not imply that they
cannot be changed by logic.  Irrational preferences may RESPOND to
logic, but may not be shaped entirely by them.  For example, I prefer
the evolutionist argument to the creationist.  Why? Because I believe
one to be more closely corresponding to reality than the other.  Why
should I prefer evolution? Because the irrational opinion-generator in
my head says that while neither one can be absolutely verified or
discounted, one of them is nicely-formed and the other is full of
kludges.  Either one MIGHT be correct, but I prefer the well-formed to
the poorly-formed.  That is an irrational preference, so far as I
know.

>When
>someone says there is no rational support for one set of values or another,
>yet expects me to accept his thesis for reasons, why should I take the trouble
>of concentrating on the issue and testing my opinions?

Excuse me, but it seems to me that you tried to argue this about
the non-coercion principle: that it had no basis in fact or reason.
My point was that such principles tend to be chosen on irrational grounds,
and that I didn't know of ANY such principles that followed purely from
reason, or history, so that such a criticism applies to all such principles,
and therefore the statement was nugatory.  Why should I bother to point
this out?  For irrational reasons of my own, I prefer that pointless
criticisms of ANY viewpoint be exposed as such.

>Why should I not
>say, "I don't feel like thinking very hard, and I don't like the noises this
>two-legged animal is making -- I think I'll walk away"?!

Feel free!  I doubt one can discover a rational reason for participating
in net.politics.* -- for my part, I do it because I enjoy it.

[NOTE: I'm using abortion here merely as an illustration of a situation
in which it is impossible to evaluate the rightness of something against
a certain set of rules.   This is an ENTIRELY theoretical exercise, and
any comment on this article from the pro/anti abortion stance
(it would never be right to abort a fetus/it's always up to the mother
no matter if a child would turn out to be Einstein) should be
directed to net.abortion, or better yet, not posted at all -- NRH]

nrh@inmet.UUCP (09/24/85)

Oops!  Spoke too soon.....

>/* Written  3:07 am  Sep 24, 1985 by nrh@inmet.UUCP in inmet:net.politics.t */
>>/* Written  3:49 pm  Sep 17, 1985 by torek@umich in inmet:net.politics.t */
>>/* ---------- "Logic, fact, preference, and social" ---------- */
>>....  Effects on others will be weighted, relative to effects
>>on myself, according as I have reasons for considering them similarly or
>>differently.  Some assignments of weights would be rationally indefensible;
>>for examples, giving no weight to others, or giving no weight to oneself.
>
>Bingo!  You've agreed with me.  So long as the assignments of weights are
>indefensible (and I doubt very much if you can find any that don't have
>some indefensible basis), there can be no "rational basis" for evaluating
>a social system -- any such basis itself depends on what weights you
>choose, which in turn (at least partially, according to your statement)
>depends upon irrational criteria.

Paul was clearly talking about "some systems of assigning weights", and
I was clearly off-base in taking that to mean "some assignments of weights",
especially as he gives examples.  My mistake.  Paul has not implicitly
agreed with me at this point.

He's still making irrational assumptions, though, most importantly that
the degree of caring about others may be turned into some rational assignment
of weights.

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/25/85)

[Nat Howard]
> >...  I know of no postulates, anywhere, that have any basis in logic or fact.

> >As you say, and as I said, "logic" cannot be the basis for what you
> >prefer.  I'm real curious to see if Paul Torek can come up with any
> >social order that has a basis in "logic or fact".

[Paul Torek]
> Logic can't be the basis for what you prefer, but fact can.

*Both* logic and fact can. Either can *falsify* one choice, and by
so doing, dictate another.

Consider two persons, Alpha and Beta. Alpha favors social order
(a), based on (irrationally chosen) criterion A. Beta favors so-
cial order (b), based on criterion B. Now suppose Beta has been
able to show Alpha an unknown fact F, or an unexpected logical
connection L between known facts, that proves, to Alpha's satisfac-
tion, that A is better served by (b) than by (a). Alpha is now a
convert; his new preferred social order is (b), and the basis
for his preference is *both A and L, or both A and F*.

 E.g., a creationist is shown that evolution is really in the Bible.

 Now you might say: Alpha and Beta have become allies, but that is
superficial.  Their basic postulates are still A and B, respec-
tively: *they* can't be changed by logic or fact.

 In a way, effectively, they can: by *reduction*.  Suppose I max-
imize health, while you maximize wealth.  Now suppose you show me
that the more wealth, the more health.  Then I  can effectively
substitute your criterion for mine everywhere: I can *forget* all
about health and concentrate on making money.

 Consider a less implausible example: our biblical creationist is
persuaded to make science his criterion of truth.  The argument
runs thus: according to the Bible (his original criterion), God
made all of nature directly, while for the Bible  human
co-authors were used. Nature is therefore his (OK, His, to be con-
sistent) great book, greater than the Bible.  (Galileo, I recol-
lect, said something to this effect).  Whatever you read in this
book - by observation, experiment and other scientific methods  -
is true. Now our ex-creationist is more than a casual ally of the
evolutionist - not for one occasion only. They go hand in hand
indefinitely, except for such disagreements as arise between
scientists. The basic postulate is effectively changed.

 The same scheme can be followed in a libertarian-statist argument.
If the statist demonstrates that individual freedom (in the li-
bertarian sense)  is maximized by meeting so-called  "social
goals", *and* that these can only be achieved by a strong government;
while a weak government inevitably leads to a stronger and more
tyrannical one - he meets the libertarian on his own  ground  and
wins. "Liberty  through  taxes" becomes the libertarian battle-cry.
 Conversely, if the libertarian proves, by facts or  logic,  that
"social goals"  can best be obtained  by  individuals  free  from
government  coercion  -  he  wins, by converting his opponent. At
least he should.

(I've just noticed that I keep using 'he' as a generic pronoun.
Please don't be distracted by it. I'm a feminist in many ways,
but newspeak doubleplus ungood).

                Jan Wasilewsky

nrh@inmet.UUCP (09/25/85)

>/* Written  6:07 pm  Sep 24, 1985 by janw@inmet.UUCP in inmet:net.politics.t */
>[Nat Howard]
>> >...  I know of no postulates, anywhere, that have any basis in logic or fact.
>

>> >As you say, and as I said, "logic" cannot be the basis for what you
>> >prefer.  I'm real curious to see if Paul Torek can come up with any
>> >social order that has a basis in "logic or fact".
>
>[Paul Torek]
>> Logic can't be the basis for what you prefer, but fact can.
>
>*Both* logic and fact can. Either can *falsify* one choice, and by
>so doing, dictate another.
>
>Consider two persons, Alpha and Beta. Alpha favors social order
>(a), based on (irrationally chosen) criterion A. Beta favors so-
>cial order (b), based on criterion B. Now suppose Beta has been
>able to show Alpha an unknown fact F, or an unexpected logical
>connection L between known facts, that proves, to Alpha's satisfac-
>tion, that A is better served by (b) than by (a). Alpha is now a
>convert; his new preferred social order is (b), and the basis
>for his preference is *both A and L, or both A and F*.
>
> E.g., a creationist is shown that evolution is really in the Bible.
>
> Now you might say: Alpha and Beta have become allies, but that is
>superficial.  Their basic postulates are still A and B, respec-
>tively: *they* can't be changed by logic or fact.
>
> In a way, effectively, they can: by *reduction*.  Suppose I max-
>imize health, while you maximize wealth.  Now suppose you show me
>that the more wealth, the more health.  Then I  can effectively
>substitute your criterion for mine everywhere: I can *forget* all
>about health and concentrate on making money.

But the REASON the health-maximizer is after money is to
make himself more healthy.  Agreed that their actions would
be (as in your later example of the scientific creationist) very
similar -- their motives would not.  In particular, a refutation
of the notion that wealth leads to health would cause one person
to change his behavior but not the other.

At this point, the logic is pretty far removed from behavior, but I
point out that the preferences of the health-maximizer have not
changed, that his preference for health has simply found a new outlet
that leads him to actions similar to someone whose goal is wealth.
Convincing the health-maximizer to become wealthy IN ORDER THAT HE BE
HEALTHY doesn't change how he chooses his goals, nor what goals are
pursued -- merely how he pursues them.

> Consider a less implausible example: our biblical creationist is
>persuaded to make science his criterion of truth.  The argument
>runs thus: according to the Bible (his original criterion), God
>made all of nature directly, while for the Bible  human
>co-authors were used. Nature is therefore his (OK, His, to be con-
>sistent) great book, greater than the Bible.  (Galileo, I recol-
>lect, said something to this effect).  Whatever you read in this
>book - by observation, experiment and other scientific methods  -
>is true. Now our ex-creationist is more than a casual ally of the
>evolutionist - not for one occasion only. They go hand in hand
>indefinitely, except for such disagreements as arise between
>scientists. The basic postulate is effectively changed.

The postulate is changed, and changed by the presence of "logic", but
as I've pointed out, this doesn't mean the choice of postulate is
rational.  That a rational argument may cause one's position to shift
merely means that a person has chosen new postulates in the light of
the facts or logic you've given him.  Why does this not mean that the
preferences are logical?  Because an irrational argument might
accomplish the same thing (for example, if the person is shown a
chapter of the bible that says "believe whatever people with the
initials "NRH" tell you), or a beautifully phrased (but not rigorous)
speech convinces him to re-evaluate (irrationally, of course) his
postulates.  In other words, arguments need not make SENSE to  cause a
shift -- they need merely have impact.

I do agree with you though that a flaw in the logic of a position
can lead someone to drop that position, but consider what that implies --
that the person believes in logic to the extent that it influences
his other positions.  Why believe in logic?  I do because I think
it gives me a good lever on things, but that doesn't mean that
I could defend the proposition that "the universe is logical" in
a rigorous sense -- I believe the universe is logical, and therefore
logic worth following, but I can't PROVE it by logic, nor (given
the limits of our knowledge) marshall anything on the fact
side but a list of the successes of the application of logic.  Not
rigorous at all.

Why all this in net.politics.theory?  Because *WHY* people believe
what they believe, and how to change their beliefs are probably the
most interesting political questions, with profound implications
for practicing politicians.

I'm about done with this topic (I hope).  As Bastiat said:

	Good Lord!  What a lot of trouble to prove in political
	economy that two and two make four; and if you succeed in
	doing so, people cry, "It is so clear that it is boring." Then
	they vote as if you had never proved anything at all.

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (09/28/85)

In article <28200105@inmet.UUCP> nrh@inmet.UUCP writes:
>>[...] (it gets fun now):  whether a particular, conrete action is right
>>or wrong is an empirical fact about it, as are how much time it takes and
>>how many calories it expends.  For example ([one] very much to the point),
>>whether it is right for me to support a given "social order" comes to
>>whether I would do so if I considered it rationally and with knowledge of
>>relevant information. [TOREK]
>
>The idea that a "particular action" is right or wrong according to
>some objective metric comparable to calories consumed or how long it
>takes strikes me as suspect.  The idea that such a thing could be
>empirical is ludicrous, unless you consider yourself able either to
>discount potential completely, or evaluate it accurately.  For
>example, how could one know empirically whether it was right to abort
>a particular fetus?  [NAT HOWARD]

If the person would have aborted it had she considered it rationally and with
relevant information, then her act was right.  We know what rational consider-
ation of an issue means, namely consideration free of irrational mistakes.
"Relevant information" is that information which tends to motivate the woman
in question -- and the question of what information tends to motivate her
is an *empirical* question.  Finally, though we (and she) might not know
the facts on some of the relevant issues -- for example, suppose that whether
the fetus has a nervous system is relevant information for her, but due to
insufficient scientific investigation we don't know whether it has one --
still, the information is *empircally discoverable in principle*.

I conclude that whether a particular act is right or wrong turns on several
questions, each one of which is empirical.  Therefore, whether the act is
right is also an empirical question.

>>[...]  Effects on others will be weighted, relative to effects
>>on myself, according as I have reasons for considering them similarly or
>>differently.  Some assignments of weights would be rationally indefensible;
>>for examples, giving no weight to others, or giving no weight to oneself.
>
>Bingo!  You've agreed with me.  So long as the assignments of weights are
>indefensible (and I doubt very much if you can find any that don't have
>some indefensible basis), there can be no "rational basis" for evaluating
>a social system [...]

I said *SOME* assignments are rationally indefensible.  Not all.  Some.
Here's an assignment that isn't:  my assignment of equal weights.

>>A moral viewpoint is downright irrational if (I do not say iff) it fulfills
>>both of the following conditions:  it has no basis in logic or fact; a
>>principle that does have such basis can conflict with it.  "Prisoners-
>>Dilemma" type situations show that when two or more people have different
>>objectives, coercion can sometimes make all parties better off.  Since it is
>>compellingly rational that something should be done when it benefits
>>everyone and harms no one, any principle that would rule out coercion in
>>all such "Prisoners-Dilemma" situations MUST be incorrect.  [...]
>
>Let's consider the "prisoner's dilemma" problem.  By adding the element
>of coercion, you've added a second factor to be figured in with the
>ostensible payoff.

Yes, that's exactly why coercion should be used.

>[... but] some folks would rather spend the additional years in prison
>rather than have a military type tell them how to get out of it. [...]
> your assumption is that the years spent in prison are
>absolutely more important than the degree of interference from outside.

No.  You misunderstand my point.  My point is that libertarianism is
unacceptable to any rational person.  The reason for this is that sometimes
libertarianism would bar coercion in "free-rider" (= N-person prisoner's
dilemma, for game-theory-ignorant people like Nat) situations even when
everyone in the situation DOES prefer the outcome that results when coercion
is used, and nobody's preference is irrational.

>>One more point and then I'll rest.  If Nat Howard thinks it all comes down
>>to subjective, nonrational preferences, and knows (as he ought, in outline)
>>my values, why is he bothering trying to convince me to favor his favored
>>social order?
>
>You've mistaken my purpose in posting.  I'm not trying to convince you
>and you alone.  I'm trying to make a position clear to whoever cares to
>listen.

Fine, but nobody else is going to listen to you either, except the "already
converted", so to speak.

>>Is he engaging in ideological mystification -- pretending
>>that I have *reason* to change my mind, in hopes I won't catch on?
>
>[...] that preferences are irrational does not imply that they
>cannot be changed by logic.  Irrational preferences may RESPOND to
>logic, but may not be shaped entirely by them.

You are confusing "irrational" with "nonrational".  Love is nonrational,
in that it is not evoked by reason, but it is not irrational, because it
is not *contrary to reason*.  When I argue that libertarianism is
irrational, I am arguing that it is *contrary to* reason.

I take the above to mean that nonrational preferences may respond to
logic.  Thus, in arguing with me, Huybensz, etc., you hope to get us
to "respond" to logic.  I'm sorry, but this is still ideological
mystification:  if our preferences are nonrational, then we have no
compelling reason to have them "respond" to logic; and it is uncomfortable
to change one's preferences, especially one's politics.

>Excuse me, but it seems to me that you tried to argue this about
>the non-coercion principle: that it had no basis in fact or reason.
>My point was that such principles tend to be chosen on irrational grounds,
>and that I didn't know of ANY such principles that followed purely from
>reason, or history, so that such a criticism applies to all such principles,
>and therefore the statement was nugatory.

That is indeed what one of my points was, and your reply would be a good
one, if it were true that all such principles must be chosen on nonrational
grounds.  That, however, is not the case.  Moreover, even if it were the
case, my point about "ideological mystification" would still have bite.

--Paul V Torek, trying to cure my habit of "dense-pack" arguments

walker@oberon.UUCP (Mike Walker) (10/05/85)

> [Nat Howard]
> > >...  I know of no postulates, anywhere, that have any basis in logic or fact.
>

> > >As you say, and as I said, "logic" cannot be the basis for what you
> > >prefer.  I'm real curious to see if Paul Torek can come up with any
> > >social order that has a basis in "logic or fact".
>
> [Paul Torek]
> > Logic can't be the basis for what you prefer, but fact can.
>
> *Both* logic and fact can. Either can *falsify* one choice, and by
> so doing, dictate another.
>
> Consider two persons, Alpha and Beta. Alpha favors social order
> (a), based on (irrationally chosen) criterion A. Beta favors so-
> cial order (b), based on criterion B. Now suppose Beta has been
> able to show Alpha an unknown fact F, or an unexpected logical
> connection L between known facts, that proves, to Alpha's satisfac-
> tion, that A is better served by (b) than by (a). Alpha is now a
> convert; his new preferred social order is (b), and the basis
> for his preference is *both A and L, or both A and F*.
>
>  E.g., a creationist is shown that evolution is really in the Bible.
>
>                 Jan Wasilewsky

Jan has just explained how the free market place of ideas operates.
An excellent explanation.
But a prerequisite to this is free speech (and hopefully free from
external control thought).  If the government is so powerful as to
control a man's life (food etc) then free speech is dead.  The idea
that a weak government leads to tyranny is not correct.  There must be
a power vacuum.  If other private social institutions took up where
government left off then no such vacumm would exist.  For a good example
look at the USSR.  Lenin and (at the time) associates took over while
the royalty was in decline.  The was no modern market place or even a
weak parliment (sic?) to expand into the gap.  They were gonna build
an anarchist society but they were gonna have to have an all powerfull
government to do it :-) uhuh!

--
Michael D. Walker (Mike)
Arpa: walker@oberon.ARPA

janw@inmet.UUCP (10/09/85)

> [torek@umich]
> ... My point is that libertarianism is
> unacceptable to any rational person.  The reason for this is that sometimes
> libertarianism would bar coercion in "free-rider" (= N-person prisoner's
> dilemma, for game-theory-ignorant people like Nat) situations even when
> everyone in the situation DOES prefer the outcome that results when coercion
> is used, and nobody's preference is irrational.

No, given the premise, conclusion does not follow. The fact  that
following  a  principle  (in  this  case  non-coercion) sometimes
yields a sub-optimal solution in particular situations does *not*
make  that  principle  unacceptable to any rational person. A ra-
tional person would  consider  the  alternatives:  (1)  following
another  principle - which might sometimes yield even worse solu-
tions or (2)  calculating  benefits  case  by  case  -  which  is
uneconomical,  and also (very important) makes one susceptible to
irrational biases and temptations of the moment; a principle  em-
bodied in habit is a safeguard.

E.g., an alcoholic forgoes a sip of wine that could do him
good, sticking to a larger determination to stop drinking.
His principle is momentarily suboptimal but not irrational.

Now substitute coercion for alcohol and society for the
alcoholic.

In particular, some rational people support the First Amendment,
which could not stand your kind of test.

		Jan Wasilewsky

nrh@inmet.UUCP (10/09/85)

>/* Written  3:33 pm  Sep 28, 1985 by torek@umich in inmet:net.politics.t */
>In article <28200105@inmet.UUCP> nrh@inmet.UUCP writes:
>>>[...] (it gets fun now):  whether a particular, conrete action is right
>>>or wrong is an empirical fact about it, as are how much time it takes and
>>>how many calories it expends.  For example ([one] very much to the point),
>>>whether it is right for me to support a given "social order" comes to
>>>whether I would do so if I considered it rationally and with knowledge of
>>>relevant information. [TOREK]
>>
>>The idea that a "particular action" is right or wrong according to
>>some objective metric comparable to calories consumed or how long it
>>takes strikes me as suspect.  The idea that such a thing could be
>>empirical is ludicrous, unless you consider yourself able either to
>>discount potential completely, or evaluate it accurately.  For
>>example, how could one know empirically whether it was right to abort
>>a particular fetus?  [NAT HOWARD]
>
>If the person would have aborted it had she considered it rationally and with
>relevant information, then her act was right.  We know what rational consider-
>ation of an issue means, namely consideration free of irrational mistakes.
>"Relevant information" is that information which tends to motivate the woman
>in question -- and the question of what information tends to motivate her
>is an *empirical* question.  Finally, though we (and she) might not know
>the facts on some of the relevant issues -- for example, suppose that whether
>the fetus has a nervous system is relevant information for her, but due to
>insufficient scientific investigation we don't know whether it has one --
>still, the information is *empircally discoverable in principle*.

Excuse me.  Time to open the dictionary:

Empirical adj.... 1. Relying or based solely
on experiment and observation rather than theory (the empirical method)
2. relying or based on practical experience without reference to scientific
principles (an empirical remedy)

I'm assuming that the reason you cite (for example) the idea that a fetus
might have a nervous system as important is because it determines something
of how human a fetus is.  Without venturing too far into the grounds
of net.abortion, consider: the REASON a pregnant woman would like to know
that is to avoid killing what she might define as a person.

One might find out empirically that a fetus has a nervous system, but
finding out whether it is a person must be forever beyond empiricism (just
like finding out whether a person is good must be forever beyond
physics).

>I conclude that whether a particular act is right or wrong turns on several
>questions, each one of which is empirical.  Therefore, whether the act is
>right is also an empirical question.

I think you've confused "empirical questions" with "empirical answers".
There pregnant woman cannot learn empirically (that is, by experiment)
if her fetus is a person.  She certainly cannot learn empirically
whether (say) the fetus would have been a good person if allowed to
develop UNLESS DEVELOPMENT IS ALLOWED.  Hence there is NO empirical ANSWER
to her question (should she abort) possible unless she does not abort.
Catch-22, and thus there is (assuming that she wishes to have the
baby only if it would be a good person) NO empirical basis for judgement.
Why?  Because crucial questions (to her) may not be answered by
empirical means.  Is this so hard to accept?  I do not argue that
there are no grounds for wrestling with her conscience here, merely
that no experiment she can perform will give answers to the questions
I have put in this (hypothetical) woman's head.

>>>[...]  Effects on others will be weighted, relative to effects
>>>on myself, according as I have reasons for considering them similarly or
>>>differently.  Some assignments of weights would be rationally indefensible;
>>>for examples, giving no weight to others, or giving no weight to oneself.
>>
>>Bingo!  You've agreed with me.  So long as the assignments of weights are
>>indefensible (and I doubt very much if you can find any that don't have
>>some indefensible basis), there can be no "rational basis" for evaluating
>>a social system [...]
>
>I said *SOME* assignments are rationally indefensible.  Not all.  Some.
>Here's an assignment that isn't:  my assignment of equal weights.

Excuse me, but are you assigning equal weights to the effects an action
has on others and to yourself?  If so, what rational or factual basis
do you have for such an assignment? (In short, defend your assignment
of equal weights on rational grounds, particularly in light of
your (presumed) inability to know the impacts on others as well as you
know the impacts on yourself).  Come to think of it, you might post that
to net.philosophy with a pointer here.

>>>A moral viewpoint is downright irrational if (I do not say iff) it fulfills
>>>both of the following conditions:  it has no basis in logic or fact; a
>>>principle that does have such basis can conflict with it.  "Prisoners-
>>>Dilemma" type situations show that when two or more people have different
>>>objectives, coercion can sometimes make all parties better off.  Since it is
>>>compellingly rational that something should be done when it benefits
>>>everyone and harms no one, any principle that would rule out coercion in
>>>all such "Prisoners-Dilemma" situations MUST be incorrect.  [...]
>>
>>Let's consider the "prisoner's dilemma" problem.  By adding the element
>>of coercion, you've added a second factor to be figured in with the
>>ostensible payoff.
>
>Yes, that's exactly why coercion should be used.
>
>>[... but] some folks would rather spend the additional years in prison
>>rather than have a military type tell them how to get out of it. [...]
>> your assumption is that the years spent in prison are
>>absolutely more important than the degree of interference from outside.
>
>No.  You misunderstand my point.  My point is that libertarianism is
>unacceptable to any rational person.  The reason for this is that sometimes
>libertarianism would bar coercion in "free-rider" (= N-person prisoner's
>dilemma, for game-theory-ignorant people like Nat) situations even when
>everyone in the situation DOES prefer the outcome that results when coercion
>is used, and nobody's preference is irrational.

Excuse me, we've agreed that the weightings of things can be
non-rationally chosen, so this point is nothing new -- the libertarian
prefers no coercion to himself or others to the avoidance of the
negative effects of the free-rider situation.  Is this rational?
It need not be -- it is an expression of HIS choice of weightings, which,
like yours, need have no rational basis to be valid.

>>>One more point and then I'll rest.  If Nat Howard thinks it all comes down
>>>to subjective, nonrational preferences, and knows (as he ought, in outline)
>>>my values, why is he bothering trying to convince me to favor his favored
>>>social order?
>>
>>You've mistaken my purpose in posting.  I'm not trying to convince you
>>and you alone.  I'm trying to make a position clear to whoever cares to
>>listen.
>
>Fine, but nobody else is going to listen to you either, except the "already
>converted", so to speak.

Gosh!  I'm devastated! :-)

>>>Is he engaging in ideological mystification -- pretending
>>>that I have *reason* to change my mind, in hopes I won't catch on?
>>
>>[...] that preferences are irrational does not imply that they
>>cannot be changed by logic.  Irrational preferences may RESPOND to
>>logic, but may not be shaped entirely by them.
>
>You are confusing "irrational" with "nonrational".  Love is nonrational,
>in that it is not evoked by reason, but it is not irrational, because it
>is not *contrary to reason*.

That a Montague should love a Capulet was surely contrary to reason, but
it's also one of the great love stories of all time.  That one should
kill oneself WITHOUT CHECKING to see if one's love is dead is scarcely
reasonable, but here we have Paul Torek, ruler in hand, telling us that
"love is not *contrary to reason*".

>When I argue that libertarianism is
>irrational, I am arguing that it is *contrary to* reason.
>
>I take the above to mean that nonrational preferences may respond to
>logic.  Thus, in arguing with me, Huybensz, etc., you hope to get us
>to "respond" to logic.  I'm sorry, but this is still ideological
>mystification:  if our preferences are nonrational, then we have no
>compelling reason to have them "respond" to logic; and it is uncomfortable
>to change one's preferences, especially one's politics.

Back to you: if your preferences are nonrational, you do not *NEED* any
compelling reason to have them "respond" to logic.  To need such a
reason would imply that your basis for preferences *IS* rational, which
contradicts the hypothesis.  There may be ideological mist around here,
but little mystification (at least at my end).

On the other hand, if your preferences ARE rational, then rational
arguments should suffice to change them regardless of your irrational
choices, and again, there is a point to my posting.

>>Excuse me, but it seems to me that you tried to argue this about
>>the non-coercion principle: that it had no basis in fact or reason.
>>My point was that such principles tend to be chosen on irrational grounds,
>>and that I didn't know of ANY such principles that followed purely from
>>reason, or history, so that such a criticism applies to all such principles,
>>and therefore the statement was nugatory.
>
>That is indeed what one of my points was, and your reply would be a good
>one, if it were true that all such principles must be chosen on nonrational
>grounds.  That, however, is not the case.  Moreover, even if it were the
>case, my point about "ideological mystification" would still have bite.

Okay, Paul.  I invite you here to publish the rational justification of
just one of the fundamental rules you live by.  Your choice of weights
would not be a bad one.

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (10/11/85)

In article <28200162@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
>...The fact  that
>following  a  principle  (in  this  case  non-coercion) sometimes
>yields a sub-optimal solution in particular situations does *not*
>make  that  principle  unacceptable to any rational person. A ra-
>tional person would  consider  the  alternatives:  (1)  following
>another  principle - which might sometimes yield even worse solu-
>tions or (2)  calculating  benefits  case  by  case  -  which  is
>uneconomical,  and also (very important) makes one susceptible to
>irrational biases and temptations of the moment; a principle  em-
>bodied in habit is a safeguard.

That's a fair point, but it only applies to "low-level" principles,
the criteria directly used in acting, and not to "high-level" ones
like SOME libertarians say the principle of non-coercion is.  Some
libertarians would argue that (2) should not even be considered, and
it was them I was concerned to argue against.

In any case, (2) is the superior choice in this case because the
benefits to be gotten by abandoning the non-coercion principle in
free rider situations are enormous.  But also, on a more abstract level,
the problems that libertarian principles generate in free-rider situations
are *symptomatic* of a deeper flaw, namely that they are divorced from
considerations of human benefit and harm in an unhealthy way.  (I know
that's vague, but I think anyone not firmly in the grip of an ideology
will see what I'm getting at.)

--Iconbusters, Inc. "We make flames the old-fashioned way -- we EARN it"

nrh@inmet.UUCP (10/16/85)

>>  Time to open the dictionary:
>>Empirical adj.... 1. Relying or based solely
>>on experiment and observation rather than theory (the empirical method)
>>2. relying or based on practical experience without reference to
>>scientific principles (an empirical remedy) [NAT HOWARD]
>
>My usage may be incorrect, but I meant "empirical" to mean based on obser-
>vation, however indirectly (thus one *would* be able to appeal to a
>scientific theory and still have an "empirical" answer).

Shall I take it that we agree that your choice of words was wrong?

>> [...]  Without venturing too far into the grounds of net.abortion,
>>consider: the REASON a pregnant woman would like to know [whether a fetus
>>has a nervous system] is to avoid killing what she might define as a person.
>
>I don't like the word "person" here, it's too slippery.  The point to grasp
>here is that she has to come up with some directly applicable criterion.  In
>mentioning a nervous system I imagined that the woman in question is motivated
>to avoid killing a living thing that has sensations, and that she knows the
>empirical evidence linking minds with nervous systems.
>
>>One might find out empirically that a fetus has a nervous system, but
>>finding out whether it is a person must be forever beyond empiricism ...
>
>Perhaps, but that just shows that asking "is it a person" is asking the
>wrong question.  (See some of my net.abortion stuff on this point.)

My point was that it's silly to talk about empirical answers to questions
beyond empiricism.  Such questions INCLUDE but are not limited to
considerations of the potential goodness or badness of a choice of
action, or adoption of a principle, such as reason, for the
judgement of principles.

>>I think you've confused "empirical questions" with "empirical answers".
>>There pregnant woman cannot learn empirically (that is, by experiment)
>>if her fetus is a person.  She certainly cannot learn empirically
>>whether (say) the fetus would have been a good person if allowed to
>>develop UNLESS DEVELOPMENT IS ALLOWED.  Catch-22 [...]
>
>It's true that there may be catch-22's in such decisions.  What can one
>say -- life's tough.  If she worries whether her baby would be a Mozart
>or a Hitler (a la the silly abortion arguments that go "what if Mozart
>had been aborted?" "Oh yeah, well what if Hitler had been?" etc.), then
>I suppose she has to rely on sketchy evidence such as the releative
>frequencies of heroes and villains in the past.

Right!  But these only give her theoretical grounds for making HER
decision, not empirical ones.

>>Because crucial questions (to her) may not be answered by
>>empirical means.  Is this so hard to accept?
>
>Taking "empirical" as your dictionary defines it, I'll accept that.
>
>>>I said *SOME* assignments are rationally indefensible.  Not all.  Some.
>>>Here's an assignment that isn't:  my assignment of equal weights.
>
>>Excuse me, but are you assigning equal weights to the effects an action
>>has on others and to yourself?  If so, what rational or factual basis
>>do you have for such an assignment?
>
>You're excused.  :-> :->
>I think you're shifting the burden of argument here -- it's on the one who
>claims that a set of weightings is contrary to reason.  I met that burden
>regarding the weighting schemes I criticized.

I didn't claim that it was "contrary to reason", or, if I did,  I did
so wrongly and here apologize: what I meant was that no such set of
weightings can have a basis in  reason, because they precede reason.
Just for example, once one chooses to be reasonable, FURTHER
weightings may be considered on the basis of reason, but the CHOICE to
be reasonable (as opposed to  being guided by emotion or by zen-like
inner awareness) has itself no basis in reason.

I make no claim that libertarianism, or any other "ism" has a "basis"
in fact or reason, merely that no other set of fundamental beliefs
did, so that criticizing libertarianism on this ground is uninteresting,
as any position my be criticized on this grounds.  Let me add, however,
that I find libertarianism quite appealing to reason (but acknowledge that
many do not).

As for shifting the burden of proof: you've made the claim that
libertarianism has no basis in fact or reason.  I've agreed, pointing
out that NO philosophy can have a "basis" in such things.
If you argue that YOUR philosophy DOES have a basis in such things,
let's hear it, but I'd rather not attempt to prove negatives, except
by counterexample.

Let's have no wriggling here:  you state above:
>>>I said *SOME* assignments are rationally indefensible.  Not all.  Some.
>>>Here's an assignment that isn't:  my assignment of equal weights.

Well?  Defend it!  I would argue that you are not allowed to use such
concepts as "other people's lives have importance" without establishing
them BY REASON.

>>>libertarianism would bar coercion in "free-rider" (= N-person prisoner's
>>>dilemma, for game-theory-ignorant people like Nat) situations even when
>>>everyone in the situation DOES prefer the outcome that results when coercion
>>>is used, and nobody's preference is irrational.
>> we've agreed that the weightings of things can be non-rationally chosen,
>> so this point is nothing new -- the libertarian prefers no coercion to
>> himself or others to the avoidance of the negative effects of the
>>free-rider situation.  Is this rational?  It need not be -- [...]
>
>I haven't agreed about that.  I think such a preference is not just
>nonrational, but irrational:  it has no basis in observable harm to the
>libertarian or anyone else, *and conflicts with preferences that DO*.

What "observable harm" is done to someone who is shown a swastika? A
parade of Nazis? A mutilated corpse? A retouched photo purporting to show
his mother having sex with an elephant?  None at all, of course!

Certainly they may pale, they may react violently, but no wounds
are in evidence and no force is applied.  You might ask such a person:
Would you prefer prison (for say) a day to being (gently) forced to see such
a thing?  Some folks would answer "yes".  Is this contrary to reason? No.
Why?  Because the postulates behind their lives, their not-rationally-chosen
postulates determine that they would rather be confined for a day under
one set of circumstances than for a minute under another.  To argue
that their choice is "contrary to reason" misses the point: among their
*POSTULATES* are elements which make them prefer the "non-rational"
choice, and for you to dismiss their right to their preference as
irrational (as in "and nobody's preference is irrational")  is to
ignore half the game -- the set of preferences which are irrational
but inescapable, which are as firmly rooted as reason itself in someone's
mind.

>Remember the situation is as described above; i.e. everyone
>prefers the outcome that results when coercion is applied in the
>free-rider situation, except that the libertarian disapproves of the
>means used.  But why is it any more sensible to categorically disapprove
>of coercive means than to categorically disapprove of any means that
>involves the use of (say) screwdrivers?

Let us instead use an example of (not chosen at random) milk with
meat, instead of screwdrivers. Does it make sense for some people
to refuse to use such a combination in their cuisine (the combination
is non-kosher, and forbidden by religious law to some Jews).

It may make no sense to an observer who may not communicate with these
people, but must not their preference be respected, even though there
is no obvious material benefit to them?  And perhaps a loss, due to
the higher prices of other meats with respect to (another non-kosher
thing) pork?

>If I understand Nat he would answer: "it isn't, but one doesn't need any
>reason for such preferences, one just has them or not; it's all subjective."
>I don't agree.  If a person categorically disapproves of the use of
>screwdrivers, he will miss out (and/or cause others to miss out) on some of
>the genuinely good things in life.  The absence of screwdriver-use is, in
>contrast, not a genuinely good thing.  In other words, I am saying that some
>preferences are more rational than others -- not just in relation to other
>preferences (cf. preference transitivity in decision theory), but on
>their own account.

So should Jews eat pork?  Is the eschewing of pork "not a genuinely
good thing"?  In a situation in which everyone would benefit if they
ate pork, (say that everyone were starving and it were the only
high-energy food available, and their strength was desirable), should
they be forced to eat it even if they'd rather eat (say) millet and be
weak?

>>>Fine, but nobody else is going to listen to you either, except the "already
>>>converted", so to speak.
>
>>Gosh!  I'm devastated! :-)
>
>Really now.  I suppose one might argue for the hell of it, but I for one
>would rather hold up agreement among participants as an ideal.

I was "devastated" because I don't believe you, and because of what
sounded to me like a "Oh yeah?" tone to your sentence.
I like the idea of ultimate agreement, but it's not the ultimate good.
By participants, do you count the people who do NOT speak as well?

>>>You are confusing "irrational" with "nonrational".  Love is nonrational,
>>>in that it is not evoked by reason, but it is not irrational, because it
>>>is not *contrary to reason*.
>
>>That a Montague should love a Capulet was surely contrary to reason, but
>>it's also one of the great love stories of all time.  That one should
>>kill oneself WITHOUT CHECKING to see if one's love is dead is scarcely
>>reasonable, but here we have Paul Torek, ruler in hand, telling us that
>>"love is not *contrary to reason*".
>
>Gimme a break.  Obviously love played a role in such errors, but wiser
>people could have made wiser choices -- even while feeling just as power-
>ful feelings.  To make an analogy, consider the definition of courage not
>as absence of fear, but as keeping one's head in the face of fear.

Let's consider Romeo and Juliet as being strangers (with but mild good
intentions towards each other).  Can you imagine Romeo taking any
important step that was predicated on Juliet being dead without
examining the "corpse"?  Possible I suppose, but so unlikely.....

Take it one level up.  It was surely contrary to reason for Romeo and
Juliet to love one another.  Their families were enemies.  The situation
was not practical, and thus for them to love each other was surely not
in their best (material, obvious, "empirical") interest.

>>Back to you: if your preferences are nonrational, you do not *NEED* any
>>compelling reason to have them "respond" to logic.  To need such a
>>reason would imply that your basis for preferences *IS* rational, which
>>contradicts the hypothesis.
>
>True, but, as I pointed out before, changing one's preferences is
>uncomfortable.  So while you may not NEED a reason to have them respond to
>logic, you HAVE one to have your preferences NOT respond to logic -- on the
>(hypothetical) hypothesis that preferences are by nature nonrational.

My point was that my arguing with you is a rational act even if I believe
your preferences have no ultimate basis in logic.  Especially if you
BELIEVE your beliefs to be grounded in reason, reason may have an impact.
If I wish, (for reasons of my own) to convince you of something, I may
employ reason fruitfully to do this.

That your irrational preference for your own beliefs (if your beliefs
are truly irrational) will work against me doesn't mean that some other
force (perhaps a desire to have an open mind and to stick with reason
where possible) will more than overcome it.

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (10/18/85)

In article <28200162@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
>The fact that
>following  a  principle  (in  this  case  non-coercion) sometimes
>yields a sub-optimal solution in particular situations does *not*
>make  that  principle  unacceptable to any rational person. A ra-
>tional person would  consider  the  alternatives:  (1)  following
>another  principle - which might sometimes yield even worse solu-
>tions or (2)  calculating  benefits  case  by  case  -  which  is
>uneconomical,  and also (very important) makes one susceptible to
>irrational biases and temptations of the moment; a principle  em-
>bodied in habit is a safeguard.

What is this -- the two options of rationality are blind adherence
to principle or paranoiac treat-everything-as-a-special-case?  So
choose blind adherence to principle?  I'd accept neither.

A "common-sense" approach is to establish principles of normal
behavior (such as non-coercion), and perception of situations to
discriminate normal from exceptional situations, for instance by
setting up thresholds within which normality is perceived to
be operating and outside of which normality has disappeared and
new rules should come into play.

Coming up with practical boundaries for normality and unusualness
is consistent with rational behavior.

>E.g., an alcoholic forgoes a sip of wine that could do him
>good, sticking to a larger determination to stop drinking.
>His principle is momentarily suboptimal but not irrational.
>
>Now substitute coercion for alcohol and society for the
>alcoholic.

But a particular condition distinguishes the alcoholic from the
regular mass of humanity -- the irrational inability to refuse a
second drink.  Unless we share this inability to set up degrees
of judgment, we need not avoid pragmatic judgments by hard-coding
principles.

>In particular, some rational people support the First Amendment,
>which could not stand your kind of test.
>
>		Jan Wasilewsky

This matches the alcoholic case:  the state has too many bureaucrats
who find it rational to censor expression, even though censorship is
destructive to the public sphere.  So the inability of the state
to refuse an opportunity to censor when it comes around requires
that it restrict its freedom via the First Amendment or similar
statutes.

But there are many cases not like First Amendment questions, where
what the bureaucrats find to be rational is also what citizens and
the public see to be rational, for instance, social welfare to keep
beggars off the street, or certification-regulation of medical degrees.

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

janw@inmet.UUCP (10/22/85)

[Tony Wuersch : tonyw@ubvax]
> In article <28200162@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
> >The fact that
> >following  a  principle  (in  this  case  non-coercion) sometimes
> >yields a sub-optimal solution in particular situations does *not*
> >make  that  principle  unacceptable to any rational person. A ra-
> >tional person would  consider  the  alternatives:  (1)  following
> >another  principle - which might sometimes yield even worse solu-
> >tions or (2)  calculating  benefits  case  by  case  -  which  is
> >uneconomical,  and also (very important) makes one susceptible to
> >irrational biases and temptations of the moment; a principle  em-
> >bodied in habit is a safeguard.
>
> What is this -- the two options of rationality are blind adherence
> to principle or paranoiac treat-everything-as-a-special-case?  So
> choose blind adherence to principle?  I'd accept neither.

Why blind ?

> A "common-sense" approach is to establish principles of normal
> behavior (such as non-coercion), and perception of situations to
> discriminate normal from exceptional situations, for instance by
> setting up thresholds within which normality is perceived to
> be operating and outside of which normality has disappeared and
> new rules should come into play.

I agree that every constraint has its  threshold.  E.g.,  someone
who normally doesn't steal, passes that threshold when starvation
is the alternative. Or one initiates  violence  under  unbearable
provocation.  I  wouldn't  necessarily  attempt, however, to make
rules for outside the threshold, a *norm*  for  a  situation  where
"normality  has  disappeared".  What about the threshold for this
new norm, any norms for para-para-normality ? A system cannot
predict,  and  needn't  try, what happens when you jump out of the
system.  One tries to stick to the rules, one fails,  one  shrugs
and tries again.

> >E.g., an alcoholic forgoes a sip of wine that could do him
> >good, sticking to a larger determination to stop drinking.
> >His principle is momentarily suboptimal but not irrational.
> >
> >Now substitute coercion for alcohol and society for the
> >alcoholic.
>
> But a particular condition distinguishes the alcoholic from the
> regular mass of humanity -- the irrational inability to refuse a
> second drink.

You summed up the whole point of this example. Human societies
*are* addicted to coercion. Just look at history, almost any page.
The irrational inability to refuse a  second drink of blood.
Cold turkey may be our best chance,
> Unless we share this inability to set up degrees
> of judgment, we need not avoid pragmatic judgments by hard-coding
> principles.

Individually, we may or may not share it, collectively we do.

> >In particular, some rational people support the First Amendment,
> >which could not stand your kind of test.
> >
> >		Jan Wasilewsky
>
> This matches the alcoholic case:  the state has too many bureaucrats
> who find it rational to censor expression, even though censorship is
> destructive to the public sphere.  So the inability of the state
> to refuse an opportunity to censor when it comes around requires
> that it restrict its freedom via the First Amendment or similar
> statutes.

You must see that the *logical* parallel with coercion in general
is exact. The bureaucrats appetite for control does not stop with
verbal expression. And exactly the same arguments apply  pro  and
con.  If only safe medicines should be allowed, why not only safe
opinions? Therefore, if they licence doctors, why  not  teachers,
too ? (Oh, I forgot, they do licence teachers...  OK, now for the
journalists and writers).  Coercion, in the nature of  things,  is
destructive  whereever  it is applied (in proportion: absolute
control is absolutely destructive, limited control is  damaging).
So the whole question is: are  there  overriding considerations?

> But there are many cases not like First Amendment questions, where
> what the bureaucrats find to be rational is also what citizens and
> the public see to be rational, for instance, social welfare to keep
> beggars off the street, or certification-regulation of medical degrees.

As long as citizens and public see these things to  be  rational,
and  don't  see a better alternative, they will continue.  No one
is trying to take their coercion from them by force.  But histor-
ically,  citizens and public saw many kinds of coercion as neces-
sary and rational until they tried doing without them. It works
both ways: status quo exists because it is seen as rational
and it is rationalized because it exists.

		Jan Wasilewsky

janw@inmet.UUCP (10/22/85)

Correction: in my response to Tony Wuersch I overstated my position:

> You summed up the whole point of this example. Human societies
> *are* addicted to coercion. Just look at history, almost any page.
> The irrational inability to refuse a  second drink of blood.
> Cold turkey may be our best chance.

"Cold turkey" is a bad expression here. I meant *complete abstinence*,
but not *abrupt transition*. Even though intermediate phases are
unstable and backsliding is possible, I believe the dangers of
social revolution - in any direction - to be far greater.
But a non-coercive change - such as  a change to non-coercion
- is unlikely to be abrupt.

		Jan Wasilewsky