[net.politics.theory] Stability?

bmg@mck-csc.UUCP (Bernard M. Gunther) (11/07/85)

> To refresh your memory, the question at hand is: Does government provide
> stability, and is that stability necessary for production.
>
> In article <1542@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
> >>           Consider the Louisiana Territory before the last wave of
> >>immigrants (whites) showed up. A very stable society, with little or no
> >>government above the intertribal level. Now, consider the same Territory
> >>after the US government has moved in to stabilize things. The buffalo die
> >>off, the people living on the land are thrown off, trees start growing in
> >>the Great Plains, etc. Most decidedly *not* stable. [Other examples of both
> >>cases provided for the asking.]
> >
> >Right.  When only Aborigines lived on the great plains, there was no
> >need for a global government, becuase there was no global society.
> >When the white men came and destroyed everything, this may have been
> >bad for the Indian, but, in the long run, it was good for the white

Where are you deriving your facts about the indians in the Great Plains/
Louisiana Purchase Territories as being stable?  I know very little about
the times and lives of the inhabitants, but I tend to think that it might
not have been as 'stable' as you would like to think.  Do you have any
facts to support this?

Bernie Gunther

lkk@teddy.UUCP (11/08/85)

In article <161@mck-csc.UUCP> bmg@mck-csc.UUCP (Bernard M. Gunther) writes:
>Where are you deriving your facts about the indians in the Great Plains/
>Louisiana Purchase Territories as being stable?  I know very little about
>the times and lives of the inhabitants, but I tend to think that it might
>not have been as 'stable' as you would like to think.  Do you have any
>facts to support this?
>
>Bernie Gunther

It was stable in the sense that (within particular tribes) a 20,000
year old civilization existed there, with a developed culture,
religion and technology.

--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa