[net.politics.theory] Stubblefield's Argument is Unsound

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (11/19/85)

In article <1482@hound.UUCP> rwsh@hound.UUCP (R.STUBBLEFIELD) writes:
>"It might be nice if reason never called for force, but sometimes
>in  the real world it does--free-rider situations being a notable
>example."  This statement is wrong in content and in  the  method
>of thinking used to arrive at it.  It is wrong in content because
>force and reason are opposites.  It is wrong in method because it
>is  anti-hierarchical--it  takes  a  concrete  from  the realm of
>political-economics (free-rider situations) as being  simpler  to
>grasp  and  analyze  than the more fundamental concepts of reason
>and force.

No, my method does not take a concrete as being simpler to grasp than
the more fundamental concepts.  I have illustrated my arguments about
free-rider situations with concrete examples -- such as national defense
-- but my argument depends on the fundamental concepts of values, actions,
and force.

>Arguments go on and on  because  the  anti-force  side  does  not
>defend  their  position in principle.  As long as non-coercion is
>treated as a starting point--just some rule  that  has  an  equal
>status   with   any   other,   there   will   always  be  alleged
>counterexamples to argue about.

Here you are absolutely right.  The no-exceptions anti-force side
has not (until yourself) argued their position in principle, and that's
exactly what is called for.  If I thought your argument in principle
worked, I would join the no-exceptions anti-force side in a split second.

>What is wrong with force in principle is that it is  incompatible
>with reason.
>
>Ayn  Rand's  definition,  "the  faculty   that   identifies   and
>integrates  the material provided by man's senses," captures what
>I mean by reason.

Sounds like an excellent definition of reason.  If you can prove that
force is incompatible with reason in this sense, that clinches it.

>Force is when someone uses physical means to get you to obey  his
>wishes.  Force  is  grasped  by distinguishing it from values or
>arguments that someone might use to get you to change your  mind.

This definition needs to be spelled out more.  By "values .. that
someone might use to change your mind", do you mean *positive* values?
That is, things that you value positively; regard as good?  If that's
what you mean, then the definition sounds right.

>Force is a gun aimed at your mind.  Force cuts off  your  tie  to
>reality--your  reason.   Reason  tells  you  to do this.  Force--
>someone else's wishes--tells you to do that.  He wants to put his
>wishes  between  your  mind and reality.

Aren't his wishes *part of* reality, however -- along with the fact that
he's got a gun?  Let me put it this way:  when someone points a gun at
you and says "your money or your life", what is the *reasonable* thing to
do -- comply, or resist?  I think the answer is clear:  reason tells you
to comply (at least if talking him out of it is not a realistic option).

>If he had more than his
>emotions to offer you--if he had an argument or a value, he could
>use  reason  instead  of  a  gun.

If he had a value, he would need to use reason *and* the reality that
constituted the value (the item in the department store you are encouraged
to buy, for example).  The thief is using your reason *and* the gun (a
"negative value" as I (implicitly) defined that term).  If your reason
were nonexistent, pointing a gun at you wouldn't work -- you'd ignore
that part of reality.

Now let's consider free-rider situations for a moment.  I don't deny that
reason could in principle be used to solve them -- I think it could; if
everyone thought through the issues of fairness involved.  But I also
think that that is about as likely as everyone coming to realize that
belief in God is unreasonable.  I.e., not a chance -- at least not in our
lifetime.  And the only other way to get people to choose the mutually
beneficial outcome is by force.

Well, this is getting long; I hope you'll point out (and elaborate on)
the parts of your argument you think I'm missing.

--Paul V Torek					torek@umich