[net.politics.theory] Feudalism

In article <5438@cca.UUCP> g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>In article <> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>>In article <28200419@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
>>>No, this is not true of feudalism at all. Through the Middle Ages,
>>>the amount a serf or a vassal owed his liege was supposed  to  be
>>>*fixed* once and for all, from times immemorial. In practice, hu-
>>>man memory being short, it changed quite a lot, but it changed by
>>>*precedent*,  not through arbitrary imposition. ...
>>
>>This was the theory.  The practice was that the amount a serf owed his
>>liege was so large that the relationship (maximum harvest) - (your tax) <
>>(the minimum you need to live on) held.  The serf would (illegally) withhold
>>part of the harvest, to give his family enough to live on.  In general,
>>there was no effective way to withhold more than this amount, because the
>>serf could not sell the excess.
>>
>This was more or less the case in earlier feudal times when liege lords
>collected their due in kind. In the twelfth and thirteenth centuries there
>was a major shift.  Towns had become more common and the cash market for
>agricultural products had revived.  There were mass freeings of serfs.
>The obligations in kind were replaced by cash obligations which were
>definite and fixed.  "Heavy as these obligations might be, he was no
>longer subject to the aribtrary will of his lord."  The replacement of
>obligations in kind by fixed cash rents had important consequences;
>over time prices rose steadily (particularly after the black death in
>the fourteenth century) to the profit of the peasants and the loss of
>the lords.
>
>Reference: A History of the Middle Ages, Sidney Painter, 1958, Knopf,
>pp 240-242.

I would describe these changes as the end of pure feudalism, and the
beginning of a mixed feudal/capitalist system, which evolved into the
modern capitalist system.  I would say the mass freeings of serfs are
a strong argument for this point of view.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) (01/05/86)

In article <> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>In article <5438@cca.UUCP> g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>>This was more or less the case in earlier feudal times when liege lords
>>collected their due in kind. In the twelfth and thirteenth centuries there
>>was a major shift.  Towns had become more common and the cash market for
>>agricultural products had revived.  There were mass freeings of serfs.
>>The obligations in kind were replaced by cash obligations which were
>>definite and fixed.  "Heavy as these obligations might be, he was no
>>longer subject to the aribtrary will of his lord."  The replacement of
>>obligations in kind by fixed cash rents had important consequences;
>>over time prices rose steadily (particularly after the black death in
>>the fourteenth century) to the profit of the peasants and the loss of
>>the lords.
>>
>>Reference: A History of the Middle Ages, Sidney Painter, 1958, Knopf,
>>pp 240-242.
>
>I would describe these changes as the end of pure feudalism, and the
>beginning of a mixed feudal/capitalist system, which evolved into the
>modern capitalist system.  I would say the mass freeings of serfs are
>a strong argument for this point of view.

At first sight this seems reasonable, but, upon reflection, I can't agree.
It is certainly true that there was a major change in the high middle
ages, but I wouldn't associatiate the term 'capitalism' with it.  A
better term might be mercantilism.  The key factor in capitalism is the
importance of capital as a factor of production.  This did not occur
until the industrial revolution.  The money economy (such as it was)
was a trading economy which is a precondition for capitalism.

Richard Harter, SMDS.