[net.politics.theory] Individual as a Mythical Beast

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/04/86)

[Larry Kolodney (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa]
[criticising Radford Neal's solution for Free Rider problem]
>How many people do you know who are rational?  This is a major flaw in
>libertarian thinking, assuming rational agents.   ...

>The biggest flaw in libertarian thinking is, however, the notion that
>people are independent free agents.  ...
>In practice, it doesn't come close  to  modeling  real  societies
>(except  perhaps  the  "society" of net.land, which might explain
>the high number of libertarians around.)

The assumptions are indeed made, and they are  indeed  less  than
factually  true.  But this does not necessarily make them flawed.
Very similar (perhaps identical) assumptions are needed to justi-
fy  *democracy*.  And  this  led  its critics (e.g., Sorel, Shaw,
Mussolini, Lenin ) to make much the same points and to  proceed
to  denounce  democracy as a sham. According to Lenin, freedom of
the press is a sham because "one cannot live in  society  and  be
free from society". Quite true, too - yet the consistent applica-
tion of this turns out to  yield  much  worse  results  than  the
application of the "flawed" assumptions of a person as a free,
rational, independent agent, of press freedom being possible etc.

The assumptions are not factual. But they  retain  at  least  two
other  kinds  of  value.  First,  as imperfect *idealizations* of
reality. Atoms are not elastic balls,  water  does  not  *really*
consist  of  individual H2-O molecules, yet for many applications
this is good enough. And even when it is not - the time  to  dis-
card  a  model  is when you have a better one (which, to do Lenin
justice, he thought he had). Class model, race  model,  nation  as
super-organism  model - are all alternatives to the rational atom
model - but *are they better* ?

The second value the assumptions have is as a *normative*,  ethi-
cal  principle.  The  Declaration  of Independence says: "We hold
those truths to be self-evident" - and proceeds  to  list  highly
controversial  (at the time) and quite unprovable statements. The
statements were *normative*,  not  descriptive.  The  assumptions
that *ought* to be made.

One defense of these assumptions in this second sense consists in
pointing  out  the  *results*  of  accepting them compared to the
*results* of alternative assumptions.  Assuming  people  are  ra-
tional,  you  give  them  a  chance  to exercise that quality - a
chance many of them botch.  That's tough.

But if you decide to treat them as sheep - their best  chance  to
get  along  in  your society is to *be* sheep. The success of the
first approach *does* depend on the initial level of rationality;
but  if  there  is  enough, it *grows*. The second approach works
only for the *shepherds* who quickly discover the proper  use  of
sheep: fleece them and butcher them.

The problem is not just: are people really rational enough to de-
cide  their  own  destiny?  The  problem  is, also, who is super-
rational and super-benevolent enough to decide it for  them?  And
even *that* would only guarantee a society of happy sheep under a
Good Shepherd. Frankly, I'd prefer a bad shepherd, more chance of
a change.

>(except  perhaps  the  "society" of net.land, which might explain
>the high number of libertarians around.)

A nice conjecture, for all I know it may be true. If all
humankind needs is to become as rational and independent as
the marginal netter, can things be quite hopeless ?

		Jan Wasilewsky

lkk@teddy.UUCP (01/06/86)

In article <28200505@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>[Larry Kolodney (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa]
>[criticising Radford Neal's solution for Free Rider problem]
>>How many people do you know who are rational?  This is a major flaw in
>>libertarian thinking, assuming rational agents.   ...
>
>>The biggest flaw in libertarian thinking is, however, the notion that
>>people are independent free agents.  ...
>>In practice, it doesn't come close  to  modeling  real  societies
>>(except  perhaps  the  "society" of net.land, which might explain
>>the high number of libertarians around.)
>
>The assumptions are indeed made, and they are  indeed  less  than
>factually  true.  But this does not necessarily make them flawed.
>Very similar (perhaps identical) assumptions are needed to justi-
>fy  *democracy*.

The assumption of rational actors works (to some extent) in the case of
elections because:

1.	They only occur once a year or so, they don't require too much effort.

2.	They (generally) involve a determination of the general
        direction of government, rather than decisions about specific
	complex issues.

Thus, elections generally don't involve rational decisions, the involve
emotional decisions.  They tell the government (via the candidates elected),
what the electorate FEELS it wants.  This provides good negative feedback.
If a government is not making the electoral feel good, the electorate votes it
out.  Thus, we have a safeguard against tyranny and (theoretically)
bad administration.

But ask anyone who has worked on an electoral campaign, (or even better, campaign
commercials) if they think the electorate is rational, and they'll laugh in
your face.

Now the case of deciding on specific courses of action, like building
a dam, is quite a different thing.  Dams affect many people, some
positively, some negatively.  They also affect the environment,
sometimes positively, sometimes negatively.

Deciding whether to build the dam or not is a very complex issue.
Most people have a lot better things to do with their time than study
environmental impact statements and the like.  So they pay people to
do it for them.  These are called government administrators and
legislators.  BUT, once they have accepted the realization that other
people are in a better position to make the decision (by way of
training and depth of involvement) , it behooves them to
accept the decision (or vote out the bastard...), otherwise, the
decisionmaker is wasting his time.

Think of government as binding arbitration.

>>(except  perhaps  the  "society" of net.land, which might explain
>>the high number of libertarians around.)
>
>A nice conjecture, for all I know it may be true. If all
>humankind needs is to become as rational and independent as
>the marginal netter, can things be quite hopeless ?

God forbid.  What humankind needs has little to do with rationality
(in the sense that you mean it).

Rationality only works with the correct premises.  The current state
of affairs (at least in the USA) is that people start out with the
premise that they are independant free agents (i.e. they can somehow
exist and live a happy life independently from any arbitrary part of
the rest of the world, that they are distinct from the world), whose
place in the world is to maximize their utility by making as much
*money* as possible, the rest of the world be damned.

This attitude survives easily on USENET because  it
is (more) acceptable in the artificial world of electronic communication,
where, for the most part, the inhabitants of this "world" are not "of
it" (i.e. aren't administrators so don't actual have to worry about
the future of the "world", don't suffer any serious consequences if
problems occur).  This "world" really does seem to exist
apart from each of us, its "out there somewhere". But if you check out
recent discussions in net.news, you see that even here in netland,
people's self-centered just-try-and-stop-me attitude threatens the
very existence of the net.

--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/11/86)

[Gabor Fencsik {ihnp4,dual,lll-crg,hplabs}!qantel!gabor]
>The 'rational actors' assumption may indeed be used to justify democracy
>but I don't think it is one of the stronger arguments for the democratic
>process. The cult of rationality is more likely to lead one to favor the
>rule of philosopher kings or a mandarin class. A decision obtained through
>the democratic process need not be any more rational than decisions by fiat
>or augury. The democratic process is preferred because (1) through the free
>exchange of ideas it provides short feedback loops permitting incremental
>corrections and adjustments; (2) it cloaks decisions with a (mythical) veil
>of legitimacy so people are willing to accept political authority that is
>not based on religious belief or raw coercion.

There is a lot of truth in it, *but*:
*Every* political system needs a cloak of legitimacy; the difference
is in what kind of cloak. Divine right of kings works fine; when
faith weakens, a cult of the king himself, or a dictator, serves
quite well. Will of the people justifies plebiscitary bonapartism
etc. But for liberal democracy, a necessary assumption is that people
either vote their interest, or public interest and that they
can discern it. This is rationality. More than that, any system
of division of powers assumes people who can negotiate their
differences - and that demands even greater rationality.

The objections that were made at each stage of expanding suffrage
are characteristic : they usually consisted in the assertion that
the group of people in question are insufficiently rational (wom-
en,  blacks), insufficiently informed (uneducated classes) or in-
sufficiently independent (employees). Another objection  would
be  that  though the group in question would vote their interest,
that interest is naturally antagonistic to  that  of  society  at
large  (the  poor  who  supposedly don't have enough stake in the
system). All the above arguments have  in  fact  been  made,  and
though spurious, they illustrate the basic assumption.

The assumption of *independence* is best demonstrated by the
institution of *secret ballot*. An opposite assumption of
*consensus* would call for quite different procedures.

>The democratic process is preferred because (1) through the free
>exchange of ideas it provides short feedback loops permitting incremental
>corrections and adjustments ...

Very true, and it shows that the  rationality  assumption  is  not
*merely*  a useful fiction: free exchange of ideas and experimental
feedback make *democratic process* to  some  limited  degree  a
*rational process*.

Be that as it may, my basic point was *not* that *the  same*  as-
sumptions  made in support of democracy should be made elsewhere.
This, to my argument, was coincidental. Rather it was that *some*
assumptions  about  individual behaviour in society can be rea-
sonably and usefully made without being  true  in  all,  or  even
most, individual cases.

		Jan Wasilewsky

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (01/11/86)

   Freedom is *not* freedom _from_ but freedom _to_.

   Those who pretend otherwise (such as Lenin) aren't using the
same concept as the rest of us.

	Robert Bickford     (rab@well.uucp)
    I doubt if these are even my own opinions.

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/12/86)

[Larry Kolodney (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa]
>>If all humankind needs is to become as rational  and  independent
>>as the marginal netter, can things be quite hopeless ?

>God forbid.  What humankind needs has little to do with rationality
>(in the sense that you mean it).

You probably misunderstand me. Let me describe in  what  sense  I
mean it. Rationality is the desire and the ability to *get at the
truth*. At the core is the *desire*, an *urge to understand*,  to
make sense of things.

 As it works, it accumulates skills and habits of  concentration,
observation,   induction,  sampling,  deduction,  generalization,
specification, abstraction, concretization, analogy, imagination,
invention, testing, self-criticism, and many others.

The concept of rationality is close to those of  intelligence,
of sanity, and of objectivity. We can never have enough of it.

>Rationality only works with the correct premises.

I disagree. Rationality *discovers* the correct premises.

>The current state
>of affairs (at least in the USA) is that people start out with the
>premise that they are independant free agents (i.e. they can somehow
>exist and live a happy life independently from any arbitrary part of
>the rest of the world, that they are distinct from the world), whose
>place in the world is to maximize their utility by making as much
>*money* as possible, the rest of the world be damned.
>This attitude survives easily on USENET because  it [...]

Does it ? I'd be surprised. If the netters maximize *money*,  why
are  they wasting so much of their time and brains on unpaid dis-
cussions ? Surely you must be misjudging them.

The people who *do* maximize  their  money-making  potential  are
very  useful, however, and we should all be grateful to them. If,
by some mass hypnosis, you eliminated this engine of achievement,
half  the  world  would starve very soon; the rest would stagnate
and probably perish a little later.

Not that these are the *only* productive  people,  but  they  are
irreplaceable.  You may say, there's got to be a better reason to
do these useful things. Possibly, but make it *better*. Fear sup-
plemented  with fanaticism is infinitely worse. And that, so far,
has been the only attempted alternative.

			Jan Wasilewsky

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/12/86)

[Gabor Fencsik {ihnp4,dual,lll-crg,hplabs}!qantel!gabor]
>The cult of rationality is more likely to lead one to favor the
>rule of philosopher kings or a mandarin class.

Not a thoroughgoing cult of rationality.  If  you  are  satisfied
with  just a few rational decisions to be made for the whole dumb
society, a philosopher king will do (but  succession  remains  an
unsolved problem). If you need a massive rational input, democra-
cy is better (or would be with people  less  stultified  by  mass
media and standard education). An extreme cult of rationality re-
jects all authority but that of reason, and spells anarchy.

In article <471@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:
>   Freedom is *not* freedom _from_ but freedom _to_.
>
>   Those who pretend otherwise (such as Lenin) aren't using the
>same concept as the rest of us.

I think Franklin Rooseveldt provides a better character reference for
this concept than Lenin does.

Freedom includes *both* freedom from and freedom to.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka