[net.politics.theory] Experimentation and Danger

janw@inmet.UUCP (10/31/85)

[Frank Adams ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka]
> The world would be much better off if a good world government could be
> established.  That is a large if.  Social experimentation is DANGEROUS.

Given the if, in the *short* run it would be. But by the time the
government  stopped being good, it would not stop being a govern-
ment. And all your eggs would be in one basket.

Social experimentation *is* dangerous; so is social drift. Willy-nilly,
we all *are* in a social experiment. So how do we minimize the danger ?
I suggest, by diversification. That means, no global government; also,
less national government.

E.g., during the 60's and 70's USA public education was  all  but
ruined by "experimentation". I put the word in quotes because the
basic scientific rules  of  experimentation  were  not  observed.
Rather,  the  changes were introduced by true believers who would
not take NO for an answer from  nature.   Some  of  the  "experi-
menters"  were politicians, some judges, some members of the edu-
cational establishment, and it is hard to say who was worse.
And the *same* kind of changes were made  all  over  the  nation.
Where  was their goddamn control ?

Of course, the package clearly and miserably failed. It  was  our
milder  version of the Cultural Revolution. Now things are creep-
ing back, in some ways, to prerevolutionary days and  the  SATs
are  creeping back up. But experiments in education were sorely
needed ! They are still needed. To some insufficient extent, they
are conducted. But how much *could* be done and cannot be tried.

Personally, I believe what  is  worth  learning  in  the  12-year
course,  could  easily  be  taught  in  2  or 3 years. Get rid of
tenure, hire 4 times fewer teachers at 4 times the  price.  Don't
teach  kids how to live: you don't know it yourself. Don't entertain
them: if you are any good, the learning itself  will  be  fun.
Don't discipline them: if you have to, you should be fired.
Don't  teach  basketball  or  basket weaving.  All this will save
time. Let lecturing be done  on  TV,  by  the  best  lecturer  in
school:  that  will  free  teachers' time for question-and-answer
sessions and working with individuals. Never adapt to the slowest
students,  teach  the brightest and let them explain to the rest.
That will save *lots* of time. Using that time, teach them to en-
joy  reading. That will save more time. Never rebuke or punish
or grade anyone; flatter a lot, but mainly keep them absorbed and
fascinated  by  the  wonders  of  the subject itself, like Mr.
Wizard.  (It takes talent; an untalented teacher  is  engaged  in
the  worst form of child abuse, destroying mind and soul forever.
Pay for the talent, whatever it takes).

I've digressed; the point is, suppose I'm wrong,  still  somebody
else will be right; as likely as not, her ideas will sound *more*
eccentric than mine, and *she won't  be  allowed  to  try  them*.
[I've changed my mind on the generic she].

For the central government, the state governments  and  the  cen-
tralized  educator  associations,  wielding government power, are
the chief enemies of experimentation and progress in  education
-  because  they are the enemies of pluralism.  Instead they gave
us the "experiment" of the American Cultural Revolution.

Now consider taxes. Forget about them being theft, just  consider
the  optimal  ways  to  steal.  We had the '81 tax package rushed
through congress without being read  by  most  congressmen,  much
less the public. A large "experiment" if ever there was one, made
on the body of the whole nation. But the accumulations of  previ-
ous  decades  of  tax  laws which that package sought to correct,
were an even larger "experiment",  made  with  even  less  aware-
ness.

Compare this to the "free enterprise zones" idea.  It  would
let  *true* experimentation, by private people, into these zones.
It has the support of the administration *and* of black and hispan-
ic  leaders  (in  both  cases lukewarm).  Almost no one is openly
against. If successful, it could solve the most  festering  prob-
lems:  inner city decay, ghetto youth unemployment.  The "tax ex-
penditures" are small. Yet  something  invisible  is  in the way;
enough to block the thing for five years, and no end is in sight.

The question is *not* whether we can afford social experimentation.
If we could freeze the status quo in every respect, that would
be the largest "experiment" of all, and one certain to be fatal.
The question is, can we curb, at least in some areas, the
wholesale "experimentation" by the state, and make way for some
true experimentation, much safer and much more productive.

Let me list a few reforms that I feel would be both safe and
hopeful. They may not be *politically* realistic.

- phase in free enterprise zones.
- phase in education vouchers.
- abolish tenure in public schools ; compensate the teachers.
- reduce the  rules for teacher and school certification : if students
  score high  on tests, this should be enough.
- gradually allow paramedic practitioners an almost equal status with
  doctors ("almost" - as a sop to professional self-respect).
- same for paralegals and lawyers.
- make things easier for para-police organizations like Guardian Angels.
- change environmental protection rules on the highly  successful
  West German model: pollute if you wish, but *pay in proportion*.
- abolish all affirmative action laws and regulations (no need
  to phase out, internal corporation rules take care of that).
- abolish minimum wage (no need to phase out, inflation took care
  of that).
- legalize all illegal immigrants, with the proviso
  that if they commit a crime or draw too much welfare benefits, they
  can be deported.
- make immigration free to anyone who (a) passes an easy
  English test;
  and (b) agrees to be deported under the conditions
  of the previous item.
  This can be phased in by gradually relaxing the English test.
- legalize marijuana.
- allow condemned prisoners the option of suicide.
- gradually replace income tax with consumption (sales) tax.
- in view of successful office automation, and the accumulated
  effects of Parkinson's law, require by law
  a yearly reduction of civil service staff of, say, 10%.
- similar rule for clerical defense personnel.
- make government financially responsible for unfair damage
  to private persons (e.g. judicial error  resulting  in  a  prison
  term).
- limit the length, in letters, of new laws.
- let jury, not judges, decide what a law means. (This would
  promote a rule of law instead of the rule of lawyers).
- make any new law pass revision by a jury who must unanimously
  agree they understand it.

- adopt a sunset law for all government agencies, regulations,
  and laws (except for the constitution and the sunset law).

		Jan Wasilewsky

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (11/03/85)

In article <28200239@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
{ An assertion that social experimentation goes on continuously,	}
{ a criticism of US education in the 60's and 70's, and  		}
{ a fairly sensible proposal for further experiments in response to	}
{ Frank Adams assertion that social experimentation is DANGEROUS	}

I'd like to disagree with slighly about US education having lived through
it. Mostly it wasnt too bad, alot of it was a waste of time, and anybody
whos parents encouraged them to read and learn managed to do pretty well.

>Let me list a few reforms that I feel would be both safe and
>hopeful. They may not be *politically* realistic.

{ the afore mentioned proposals - many deleted }
>- change environmental protection rules on the highly  successful
>  West German model: pollute if you wish, but *pay in proportion*.

Would like you to define "highly successful" in this context. Personally
I prefer "dont you dare pollute, but if you do pay in proportion".

>- gradually replace income tax with consumption (sales) tax.

As long as consumption includes the buying of companies, stocks, bonds,
or real estate,  and exempts some minimal amount for food, clothing,
and shelter, I'm all for it. What do you do about goods purchased in
other countries?

>- limit the length, in letters, of new laws.
>- let jury, not judges, decide what a law means. (This would
>  promote a rule of law instead of the rule of lawyers).
>- make any new law pass revision by a jury who must unanimously
>  agree they understand it.
>- adopt a sunset law for all government agencies, regulations,
>  and laws (except for the constitution and the sunset law).
>
>		Jan Wasilewsky
Well spoken Jan. I would add a couple of restrictions here:

- Require that all legislation include provisions for financing.
  This should be sufficient to overcome the *free lunch* mentality
  the libertarians harp about without dismantling the system completely.

- Require that all legislation have a measurable goal and will become
  automatically void if it fails to meet that goal. Thus a proposal
  for education might state the goal is to raise the median SAT score
  5 points per year, starting in 1988, measured every 2 years. If scores
  are not at least 10 points higher in 1990, the program is terminated.

- Every citizen should recieve an accounting statement every year stating
  which laws where passed, who voted for and against them, which ones expired,
  how much tax he had paid, where it went, what the value of services he
  recieved in return, etc. Admittedly, some of these would have to be
  estimates, but the idea is to provide the citizen with enough information
  to decide if he is getting screwed, and who to blame if he is. The press
  currently does an inadequate job reporting these things  because it
  doesnt sell many papers, but could probably do a great job of exposing
  fraud or inaccuracy in the estimates, which does.

Very often I also think that legislators should be hired and that the
vote should only be used to fire them, but that is for another time.
--

						Bob Weiler

The odds against my opinions reflecting those of my employer are nearly
astronomical.

In article <28200239@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
>[Frank Adams ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka]
>> The world would be much better off if a good world government could be
>> established.  That is a large if.  Social experimentation is DANGEROUS.
>
>Given the if, in the *short* run it would be. But by the time the
>government  stopped being good, it would not stop being a govern-
>ment. And all your eggs would be in one basket.

In many important respects, all our eggs ARE in one basket.  The risk of
nuclear war is real, and would be eliminated by a world government.  It
would NOT be eliminated by having smaller national governments.  More like
increased.

Governments can get better as well as worse.

>E.g., during the 60's and 70's USA public education was  all  but
>ruined by "experimentation".

But that experimentation was not nationally mandated.  It was done by
the various states and local governments.

>The question is *not* whether we can afford social experimentation.
>If we could freeze the status quo in every respect, that would
>be the largest "experiment" of all, and one certain to be fatal.

Just to make it clear, I was not proposing that we should.  Only that
social experimentation be done with a great deal of care and consideration.

------------------------------

[Portions of the following discussion are specific to the U.S.]

>Let me list a few reforms that I feel would be both safe and
>hopeful. They may not be *politically* realistic.
>
>- phase in free enterprise zones.
I have my doubts.  This sort of thing tends to affect where people work but
not who works there, and enrich certain companies at the expense of the
government (read taxpayers).  Britain's experience seems to indicate this.
>- phase in education vouchers.
A reasonable idea.  I suspect a lot of its support comes from people who
put their children in private schools to avoid integration, however.
>- abolish tenure in public schools ; compensate the teachers.
Agreed.  While we're at it, let's get rid of the idea that all teachers
at a school should be on the same pay scale, regardless of subject.
>- reduce the  rules for teacher and school certification : if students
>  score high  on tests, this should be enough.
All right, but some people aren't good at taking tests.  Don't make test-
taking the only way to succeed.
>- gradually allow paramedic practitioners an almost equal status with
>  doctors ("almost" - as a sop to professional self-respect).
>- same for paralegals and lawyers.
Or just have more medical and law schools.
>- make things easier for para-police organizations like Guardian Angels.
No.  Para-police organizations without strict controls can go bad very fast.
>- change environmental protection rules on the highly  successful
>  West German model: pollute if you wish, but *pay in proportion*.
Yes.  This isn't so much Libertarian as just good economic sense.
Capitalist, to be sure.
>- abolish all affirmative action laws and regulations (no need
>  to phase out, internal corporation rules take care of that).
Internal corporate rules came into existence only because of the laws.
>- abolish minimum wage (no need to phase out, inflation took care
>  of that).
I support this in conjunction with a negative income tax.  By itself,
I don't think it's a good idea.
>- legalize all illegal immigrants, with the proviso
>  that if they commit a crime or draw too much welfare benefits, they
>  can be deported.
>- make immigration free to anyone who (a) passes an easy
>  English test;
>  and (b) agrees to be deported under the conditions
>  of the previous item.
>  This can be phased in by gradually relaxing the English test.
I just plain don't think this will work.  It is a relatively high-risk
experiment, even if the test is quite stringent.
>- legalize marijuana.
The sooner the better.
>- allow condemned prisoners the option of suicide.
I don't think, given the current state of society, that suicide should be
condoned in any circumstances.
>- gradually replace income tax with consumption (sales) tax.
As indicated above, I would rather see a negative income tax.
>- in view of successful office automation, and the accumulated
>  effects of Parkinson's law, require by law
>  a yearly reduction of civil service staff of, say, 10%.
>- similar rule for clerical defense personnel.
This is impractical.
>- make government financially responsible for unfair damage
>  to private persons (e.g. judicial error  resulting  in  a  prison
>  term).
More grist for the lawyers.
>- limit the length, in letters, of new laws.
There are many ways around this one.  Just divide your bill up into pieces.
>- let jury, not judges, decide what a law means. (This would
>  promote a rule of law instead of the rule of lawyers).
>- make any new law pass revision by a jury who must unanimously
>  agree they understand it.
These two clearly go together.  Both have far-reaching implications and
require careful thought.
>- adopt a sunset law for all government agencies, regulations,
>  and laws (except for the constitution and the sunset law).
Ditto, but I've already thought about this one.  Just applying it to the laws
and regulations suffices; if the law authorizing an agency expires, so does
the agency.  First of all, this would have to be a constitutional amendment;
just passing a law would be meaningless.  Second, at least if this idea is
extended to the state level, certain crimes should be exempt -- at a minimum,
murder, assault, and theft.  Perhaps all crimes with victims should be
exempted.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

janw@inmet.UUCP (11/07/85)

[Bob Weiler bob@pedsgd]
Bob: your constructive criticism is much appreciated. After  sticking
my neck out with specific suggestions, I expected flames.

> In article <28200239@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
> { An assertion that social experimentation goes on continuously,	}
> { a criticism of US education in the 60's and 70's, and  		}
> { a ...             proposal for further experiments in response to	}
> { Frank Adams assertion that social experimentation is DANGEROUS	}

> I'd like to disagree with slighly about US education having lived through
> it. Mostly it wasnt too bad, alot of it was a waste of time, and anybody
> whos parents encouraged them to read and learn managed to do pretty well.

Of course I exaggerated, especially in  the  Cultural  Revolution
comparison.  One  can  well see you've survived it. Still, school
education clearly went downhill in that period, as witnessed by
the  average  test scores. This should be set against enormous
increase in money appropriations. Clearly someone did something
wrong.  That many individuals and even whole schools survived al-
most intact, I can quite believe. For the individuals, you  your-
self  give  one explanation: family. I should guess that probably
*good* schools survived best, while mediocre became bad, and  bad
became terrible. This is just a guess, based on the assumption
that good teachers (and well-prepared students) can adjust better
to  new requirements. E.g., New Math isn't a bad idea in itself -
provided you have really good teachers.

And then don't let us forget the general point: it was the  wrong
kind  of  "experiment";  it would still be that, even if, by wild
chance, it had succeeded. Montessori and Suzuki are  examples  of
the *right* kind of educational experimentation.

> >- change environmental protection rules on the highly  successful
> >  West German model: pollute if you wish, but *pay in proportion*.

> Would like you to define "highly successful" in this context.

Well, if you have so much heavy industry in such a small area,
you've got to be successful if the place is still habitable.
US problems are easy compared to theirs. But people who have
lived there assure me it is not just habitable, but very
attractive. Hence the epithet "highly".

> Personally I prefer "dont you dare pollute, but if you do pay  in
> proportion".

But everyone pollutes, to some extent. So if  you  prohibit,  you
must set thresholds. And then industries with political pull come
and prove that a higher  threshold  is  necessary  to  them,  and
*they*  are  necessary  to  the country. Also, they gain by going
*up* to the threshold. Also,  criminal  prosecutions  are  messy.
All  that  is avoided if you scrap the prohibition and set a high
enough fee. Then the  corporations  hire  engineers,  instead  of
lawyers and lobbyists, and start figuring out how to save on that
fee. Or else they put their money in cleaner enterprises. And  if
this  contributes  to  the  decline  of  smokestack industries, I
wouldn't mourn.

> >- gradually replace income tax with consumption (sales) tax.

> As long as consumption includes the buying of companies, stocks, bonds,
> or real estate,  and exempts some minimal amount for food, clothing,
> and shelter, I'm all for it. What do you do about goods purchased in
> other countries?

 I would rather exempt certain *kinds* of goods completely than a
fixed  amount of anything - because I don't like the state poking
its nose in people's purchases.  I  would  exempt  food  staples,
basic  medicines, rent and fuel. As for goodies purchased abroad,
there seem to be only 2 solutions: nothing (which is what  states
with  sales  tax do) or an import duty. The first is simpler, but
if such imports really undermine the system, you might be reduced
to the second. A lot depends on geography: e.g., Luxembourg could
hardly afford the simpler solution. I wouldn't  tax  purchase  of
companies etc. (real estate maybe) because it penalizes commer-
cial activity (just as income tax does). Don't kill  that  goose,
collect  the golden eggs at the rear end. Why should a company
changing hands be an occasion  for  taxation  ?  Does  unbroken
record  with  a  single  owner somehow deserve a reward ? Let the
economic blood circulate freely. If the government is out to soak
the  rich  and the corporations, let it tax their harmful activi-
ties (like pollution), not their useful activities like playing
the market.  All this, putting libertarian arguments aside.

 (As to why sales tax is more libertarian than income tax, I see
two reasons. First, the government won't know as much about the
individual; second, the individual won't have to fill those forms,
that is, be engaged in involuntary service to the government.
Theft may be bad but slavery is worse.)

> >- limit the length, in letters, of new laws.
> >- let jury, not judges, decide what a law means. (This would
> >  promote a rule of law instead of the rule of lawyers).
> >- make any new law pass revision by a jury who must unanimously
> >  agree they understand it.
> >- adopt a sunset law for all government agencies, regulations,
> >  and laws (except for the constitution and the sunset law).

> ... I would add a couple of restrictions here:
>
> - Require that all legislation include provisions for financing.
>   This should be sufficient to overcome the *free lunch* mentality
>   the libertarians harp about without dismantling the system completely.
>
> - Require that all legislation have a measurable goal and will become
>   automatically void if it fails to meet that goal. Thus a proposal
>   for education might state the goal is to raise the median SAT score
>   5 points per year, starting in 1988, measured every 2 years. If scores
>   are not at least 10 points higher in 1990, the program is terminated.
>
> - Every citizen should recieve an accounting statement every year stating
>   which laws where passed, who voted for and against them, which ones expired,
>   how much tax he had paid, where it went, what the value of services he
>   recieved in return, etc. Admittedly, some of these would have to be
>   estimates, but the idea is to provide the citizen with enough information
>   to decide if he is getting screwed, and who to blame if he is. The press
>   currently does an inadequate job reporting these things  because it
>   doesnt sell many papers, but could probably do a great job of exposing
>   fraud or inaccuracy in the estimates, which does.

I like all of these very much.  But  a  clear  and  concise  form
should be selected for all this documentation such that the aver-
age education survivor is able to monitor it.

> Very often I also think that legislators should be hired and that the
> vote should only be used to fire them, but that is for another time.

This sounds quite interesting. I wish you would elaborate.

		Jan Wasilewsky

In article <344@pedsgd.UUCP> bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) writes:
>- Every citizen should recieve an accounting statement every year stating
>  which laws where passed, who voted for and against them, which ones expired,
>  how much tax he had paid, where it went, what the value of services he
>  recieved in return, etc. Admittedly, some of these would have to be
>  estimates, but the idea is to provide the citizen with enough information
>  to decide if he is getting screwed, and who to blame if he is. The press
>  currently does an inadequate job reporting these things  because it
>  doesnt sell many papers, but could probably do a great job of exposing
>  fraud or inaccuracy in the estimates, which does.

I'm afraid this would just produce a new government beaurocracy, which I
don't think would justify its costs.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (11/11/85)

> > .. suggestion that each citizen should get a statement of accounts
> >    from the govt. each year ..
>
> I'm afraid this would just produce a new government beaurocracy, which I
> don't think would justify its costs.

You mean the accounting departments at major companies don't justify their
costs? Actually, though, all of this information *is* available through
various publications. If you think it's that great an idea there's nothing
stopping you from starting a company that provides this service to people
willing to pay for it. It might even take off!
--
Name: Peter da Silva
Graphic: `-_-'

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (11/12/85)

> >- Every citizen should recieve an accounting statement every year stating
>>  which laws where passed, who voted for and against them, which ones expired,
> >  how much tax he had paid, where it went, what the value of services he
> >  recieved in return, etc. Admittedly, some of these would have to be
> >  estimates, but the idea is to provide the citizen with enough information
> >  to decide if he is getting screwed, and who to blame if he is. The press
> >  currently does an inadequate job reporting these things  because it
> >  doesnt sell many papers, but could probably do a great job of exposing
> >  fraud or inaccuracy in the estimates, which does.
>
> I'm afraid this would just produce a new government beaurocracy, which I
> don't think would justify its costs.
>
> Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

    It wouldn't take nearly as large a beaurocracy to keep track of one
government as it does to keep track of 200 million citizens, but we already
support several types of the latter kind of beaurocracy.  I think the
cost of setting up this program would be more than offset by the increased
efficiency of a government which *knew* it was under constant scrutiny by
its citizens.
    Imagine a citizen receiving his report:  "What!?  X% of my taxes were
used to keep the price of milk high?  And my congressman voted *for* that!?
And he didn't bother to vote on many of these other issues!?  That's the
last time they get *my* vote!"  Currently it is *very* difficult for the
average citizen to get this kind of feedback from their government.  Feedback
is used extensively in most complicated, high-performing systems to improve
performance.  Since our system of government includes very little in the
way of feedback it's not suprising that 'government' has become almost
synonymous with 'inefficient'.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

lkk@teddy.UUCP (12/06/85)

In article <817@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:

>If small governments are so much better, why are the best governments in
>the world all of relatively large countries?  (Of course, the worst
>governments in the world are also all of relatively large countries.
>But that doesn't answer the question.)

What???  I don't see any evidence for this.

Sweden is a small country (pop. 8 million) yet it has one of the
finer governments in the world.  SO do Denmark, Holland, Costa Rica.

Large governments include: soviet union, china, and India, none of which
would make my top ten list.

Small governments have the advantage that they generally don't
have as many competing constituencies (cf. USA),  generally representing a
relatively homogeneous population, with common goals.

Small governments can also be more responsive to their constituents, being
"closer" to the action.
----
BTW, Chile had about 50 years of continuous democratic experience before
Nixon and Kissinger engineered its downfall.

--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa

nrh@inmet.UUCP (12/08/85)

/* Written  5:29 am  Nov 22, 1985 by franka@mmintl in inmet:net.politics.t */

>[discussion of "mean time to nuke war" in multinational vs world
> government situations]
>
>If small governments are so much better, why are the best governments in
>the world all of relatively large countries?  (Of course, the worst
>governments in the world are also all of relatively large countries.
>But that doesn't answer the question.)

I'm not sure it has an answer.  I rather prefer small governments
because you can move away from them relatively easily, and they
can't command the degree of unwieldiness that large ones can.

I think your notion that a nuclear war is more probable under  one
large government than a small one has some justification,  but only
if world government turned out to be a very well-done thing indeed.

If it were any kind of democracy, and didn't overrule the "right" of
local rulers to count the ballots, we'd better get ready for
Chinese in the schools.  I point this out not to poke fun at your
ideas, but to remind everyone that details of the organization of
such a government would be CRUCIAL in determining its stability and
its character.

In article <1772@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>In article <817@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>>
>>If small governments are so much better, why are the best governments in
>>the world all of relatively large countries?  (Of course, the worst
>>governments in the world are also all of relatively large countries.
>>But that doesn't answer the question.)
>
>What???  I don't see any evidence for this.
>
>Sweden is a small country (pop. 8 million) yet it has one of the
>finer governments in the world.  SO do Denmark, Holland, Costa Rica.
>
>Large governments include: soviet union, china, and India, none of which
>would make my top ten list.
>
>Small governments have the advantage that they generally don't
>have as many competing constituencies (cf. USA),  generally representing a
>relatively homogeneous population, with common goals.
>
>Small governments can also be more responsive to their constituents, being
>"closer" to the action.

In my book, 8 million is not a small country.  Medium-sized, rather.  I
had in mind the U.S., Great Britain, Canada, Australia, France, West Germany.
India wouldn't make my top ten, but it wouldn't make the bottom ten, either.
For truly awful governments, besides the Horrible Communist Monsters, look at
Cambodia, Albania, most of Africa.

The disadvantage of small governments is that they are more vulnerable to
being taken over by a small group.  Also, in a mostly homogeneous population,
what minorities there are are more vulnerable to exploitation by the
majority.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

nrh@inmet.UUCP (12/15/85)

Oops!  Did it again....
>/* Written  3:11 am  Dec  8, 1985 by nrh@inmet.UUCP in inmet:net.politics.t */
>/* Written  5:29 am  Nov 22, 1985 by franka@mmintl in inmet:net.politics.t */
>
>I think your notion that a nuclear war is more probable under  one
>large government than a small one has some justification,  but only
>if world government turned out to be a very well-done thing indeed.

Sorry!  I meant, of course: "I think your notion that a nuclear war
is *less* probable.....

lkk@teddy.UUCP (12/16/85)

In article <878@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:

[Talking about the inherent susceptability of small countries to
	domination by currupt or violent cliques.]

>In my book, 8 million is not a small country.  Medium-sized, rather.  I
>had in mind the U.S., Great Britain, Canada, Australia, France, West Germany.
>India wouldn't make my top ten, but it wouldn't make the bottom ten, either.
>For truly awful governments, besides the Horrible Communist Monsters, look at
>Cambodia, Albania, most of Africa.
>
>The disadvantage of small governments is that they are more vulnerable to
>being taken over by a small group.  Also, in a mostly homogeneous population,
>what minorities there are are more vulnerable to exploitation by the
>majority.

Still don't buy it.  There are many African countries that are larger
than Sweden and are still quite bad.  Zaire, one of the largest
countries in Africa, is also among the most brutal and corrupt (and a
U.S. ally, BTW).

The reason why AFRICAN countries tend to be so bad is because in
Africa, countries do not, for the most part, correspond to nations.
They tend to be arbitrary areas, carved up by the colonial powers.
They tend to encompass several mutually hostile tribal groups.  When a
member of one of these groups takes power, his group prospers at the
expense of the others, hostility ensues.

A very relevant example of this is the current situation in Angola,
where Jonas Savimbi's UNITA guerrillas are fighting the Marxist
government.  In recent months, there has been growing support in the US
for aiding UNITA, in the name of stopping Communism in Africa.

None of the people who write in support of Savimbi mention that he is
a democrat, or what his politics are at all.  This is because Mr.
Savimbi really has no political viewpoint.  He has taken arms from the
Chinese and the South Africans, as well as the CIA.  Currently, he
finds it convenient to spout an anti-Communist line, so he does.

But don't be deceived, UNITA is not *FOR* anything, they are merely
*AGAINST* the current government of Angola, which happens to be
Marxist.  They are not against it *BECAUSE* it is Marxist, but rather
because the leaders are of a different tribal group.

What Jack Kemp and others who support aiding UNITA are asking us to do
is get the United States involved in a tribal conflict that is
certainly none of our business.  But I digress...
--

In article <1822@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>In article <878@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>[Talking about the inherent susceptability of small countries to
>	domination by currupt or violent cliques.]
>>In my book, 8 million is not a small country.  Medium-sized, rather.  I
>>had in mind the U.S., Great Britain, Canada, Australia, France, West Germany.
>>India wouldn't make my top ten, but it wouldn't make the bottom ten, either.
>>For truly awful governments, besides the Horrible Communist Monsters, look at
>>Cambodia, Albania, most of Africa.
>>
>>The disadvantage of small governments is that they are more vulnerable to
>>being taken over by a small group.  Also, in a mostly homogeneous population,
>>what minorities there are are more vulnerable to exploitation by the
>>majority.
>
>Still don't buy it.  There are many African countries that are larger
>than Sweden and are still quite bad.  Zaire, one of the largest
>countries in Africa, is also among the most brutal and corrupt (and a
>U.S. ally, BTW).

This has gotten a bit off the subject.  My original claim was not that
there was a positive correlation between size of country and quality of
government.  Indeed I explicitly stated that most of the worst governments
are also very large.

In pointing out the disadvantages of small governments, it was not my
purpose to argue that they are inherently worse than large ones.  Only
that there are disadvantages to offset the advantages.

I do think that really small sovereign governments, less than about
100,000 people, are dangerously unstable.  There aren't many nations
of this size which are really independant, so this is really just an
opinion.

If small governments were better than large ones, I would expect to see
a negative correlation between size and quality of government.  In fact,
I can detect no correlation whatsoever.

>What Jack Kemp and others who support aiding UNITA are asking us to do
>is get the United States involved in a tribal conflict that is
>certainly none of our business.  But I digress...

Your analysis (which I deleted) is correct as far as it goes.  But the
fact is that nations which are our enemies are supporting that govern-
ment, hoping to gain and cause us to lose thereby.  That makes it our
business.  The fact that it is a local, tribal conflict does make it
only a local, tribal conflict; the presence of Cuban soldiers makes it
something more.  (Which is not to say we should intervene.  Just that
there is some reason for intervention.)

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

lkk@teddy.UUCP (12/28/85)

In article <914@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>>What Jack Kemp and others who support aiding UNITA are asking us to do
>>is get the United States involved in a tribal conflict that is
>>certainly none of our business.  But I digress...
>
>Your analysis (which I deleted) is correct as far as it goes.  But the
>fact is that nations which are our enemies are supporting that govern-
>ment, hoping to gain and cause us to lose thereby.  That makes it our
>business.  The fact that it is a local, tribal conflict does make it
>only a local, tribal conflict; the presence of Cuban soldiers makes it
>something more.  (Which is not to say we should intervene.  Just that
>there is some reason for intervention.)

Since you admit there is no MORAL imperative in Angola (i.e. neither side
is per se superior), you need to justify American action there by a
STRATEGIC analysis.

Your strategic analysis is that the presence of Cubans in Angola is some
justification for American intervention.  By that line of thinking, you
could justify Soviet interference in Central America, Europe, and the Far East.

Needless to say, the U.S. regularly expresses outrage over unsubstantiated
COVERT Soviet interference in Central America.

Who's pointing fingers at whom?
--

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (12/30/85)

> In article <914@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
> >>What Jack Kemp and others who support aiding UNITA are asking us to do
> >>is get the United States involved in a tribal conflict that is
> >>certainly none of our business.  But I digress...
> >
> >Your analysis (which I deleted) is correct as far as it goes.  But the
> >fact is that nations which are our enemies are supporting that govern-
> >ment, hoping to gain and cause us to lose thereby.  That makes it our
> >business.  The fact that it is a local, tribal conflict does make it
> >only a local, tribal conflict; the presence of Cuban soldiers makes it
> >something more.  (Which is not to say we should intervene.  Just that
> >there is some reason for intervention.)
>

> Since you admit there is no MORAL imperative in Angola (i.e. neither side
> is per se superior), you need to justify American action there by a
> STRATEGIC analysis.
>
> Your strategic analysis is that the presence of Cubans in Angola is some
> justification for American intervention.  By that line of thinking, you
> could justify Soviet interference in Central America, Europe, and the Far East.
>
> Needless to say, the U.S. regularly expresses outrage over unsubstantiated
> COVERT Soviet interference in Central America.
>
> Who's pointing fingers at whom?
> --
> Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
> Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa
> --------
> Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
> - Helen Keller

I have a single objection, Larry.
Since in Black Africa tribalism etc. dominates over any other
political motives, it is difficult to find "nice guys",
who would share our democratic values.  Does it mean that US
should give up seeking any influence over there?

Secondly, one may object to Soviet interference from two points of view:
a.  it is immoral;
b.  it is not ours.

The world being imperfect as it is, one should not scorn the second point
of view to lightly.

However, I personally would prefer our polititians to engage in different
kind of debate.  Currently, the dispute is where to send:
a.  military aid;
b.  loans and other kinds of traditional help.

None of the above makes US a particularly valuable ally.  USSR may
match US easily in a., with some effort even in b.

What is most striking is the futility of Western/Eastern help to the
majority of the countries of the thirld world.  To be an attractive
ally, US should be able to help in the areas of real need, like

a.  controlling the population in a non-totalitarian manner;
b.  increasing the agricultural production in a way which would
    utilize local resource and be not overly dependent on imported
    machines, fertilizers, chemicals etc, one could think about
    improving local staple crops, increasing productivity of rural
    labor with minimal capital expenditures, etc.
c.  introducing new sources of energy, like small hydro, wind, fuel
    from plants etc;
d.  increasing internal sector of the economy (as opposed to export-
    - import oriented, export being dependent on few raw commodities;
e.  improving trnsportation network (the waterways and railroad of
    our ally, Zaire, are in worse shape than during colonial times);
f.  etc.

Once US and our friends (like French) will be able to provide genuine
help (which may even cost less than the current innefective aid),
government of all sorts will flock to participate.  Covert aid for
Savimbi, overt aid, no aid, none of these provides any clue about
the state of those nations (like Angola) in ten years from now.

piotr berman

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/14/86)

>What is most striking is the futility of Western/Eastern help to the
>majority of the countries of the thirld world.  To be an attractive
>ally, US should be able to help in the areas of real need, like
>
>a.  controlling the population in a non-totalitarian manner;
>b.  increasing the agricultural production in a way which would
>    utilize local resource and be not overly dependent on imported
>    machines, fertilizers, chemicals etc, one could think about
>    improving local staple crops, increasing productivity of rural
>    labor with minimal capital expenditures, etc.
>c.  introducing new sources of energy, like small hydro, wind, fuel
>    from plants etc;
>d.  increasing internal sector of the economy (as opposed to export-
>    - import oriented, export being dependent on few raw commodities;
>e.  improving trnsportation network (the waterways and railroad of
>    our ally, Zaire, are in worse shape than during colonial times);
>f.  etc.
>
>Once US and our friends (like French) will be able to provide genuine
>help (which may even cost less than the current innefective aid),
>government of all sorts will flock to participate.  Covert aid for
>Savimbi, overt aid, no aid, none of these provides any clue about
>the state of those nations (like Angola) in ten years from now.
>
>piotr berman

Wasn't all that what the US Peace Corps was about?  And it worked
beautifully while it was allowed to.  It should be reinstated, using
the money now going into destabilizing Nicaragua.  We would get a whole
host of Central American (and other) allies, instead of driving one
country after another into the Russian camp.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt