[net.politics.theory] Feudal Taxes

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/01/86)

Feudal society was not libertarian. It had, however, certain  li-
bertarian  features: governmental functions were diffuse and were
based on contractual (liege-vassal) obligations. The analogy  was
raised  here several times; it is worth further analysis. This
note deals with the question of whether  taxation  (or  price  of
protection) was exorbitant then .
Proper time and space frame should be defined for feudal society:
it arose in the 9th, and deteriorated in 13th century, in Western Europe.
Many of its structures and attitudes lingered much longer.

[Frank Adams ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka]
>>>Organized crime is a feudal power structure.  The formula for
>>>computing taxes in a feudal government is (your tax) = (your wealth) minus
>>>(the minimum you need to live on).

>>No, this is not true of feudalism at all. [Taxes were fixed by custom,
>>modified by precedent and short memories]

>This was the theory.  The practice was that the amount a serf owed his
>liege was so large that the relationship (maximum harvest) - (your tax) <
>(the minimum you need to live on) held.  The serf would (illegally) withhold
>part of the harvest, to give his family enough to live on.  In general,
>there was no effective way to withhold more than this amount, because the
>serf could not sell the excess.

(1) *Not true* even of serfs (whose life was certainly no picnic).
Many of them demonstrably had a surplus left, which they invested
in various ways. The simplest way was to raise a large healthy family.
Raising livestock was another. Another (widespread later) was to
buy their liberty.

But serfs were just one of many taxable groups of population.
Your formula :
>The formula for computing taxes in a feudal government  is  (your
>tax) = (your wealth) minus (the minimum you need to live on)

- refers to *all* of them. (As it should, in the context of the ori-
ginal  discussion).  By  your logic they should all have been re-
duced, by taxes, to the  lowest  economic  level  physiologically
possible. But of course they weren't. Upward mobility was *high*.

>If some method were found to  increase  the  harvest  above  this
>point,  a  new  tradition [justifying taxation] would be created.

These traditions lapsed as often as  they  were  created.  A  few
years  of  non-collection  (always  possible  in  these turbulent
times) would invalidate a feudal claim. In *feudal* times no  old
parchment would be enough to re-create it. Later, in *absolutist*
times, a whole profession appeared, of castle archivists who  dug
up  obsolete  feudal obligations so that a seigneur could - *use*
them ? - no, but *sell* them back to the peasants.

>Since there was no incentive to increase the harvest, this  hap-
>pened rarely.

*No incentive* ? *Rarely* ?! Whoa !
Now you've put your finger on the crux of the matter  !  Had  the
tax  system  been as you described it - there would be no surplus
for investment (except on the highest rung of the tax ladder) and
no  incentive  for  innovation.  And harvest increases would be
rare. So this *is* the proper test. Let us apply it.

In fact, you are speaking of the time of a great agricultural and
industrial  REVOLUTION!  Never  before,  and  nowhere else, has
progress come at such breathtaking pace. Compared to  it,  an-
tiquity  was quite stagnant. The following is true of 9th through
12th centuries in Western Europe:

Let's stick to agriculture. I'll name just a *few*  innovations.

(1) This is when Europe was *colonized*, the forests cleared  and
plowed  over.  The  pioneering  effort was tremendous; recruiters
were all around the place, offering peasants personal freedom and
other  benefits  if  they  moved and joined. Areas depopulated by
Viking, Hungarian, and Saracen  marauders were repopulated, too.

*Intensive* development of agriculture was no less impressive:

(2) Horse power was introduced to agriculture. Before, it
was oxen or men. The effect was comparable to the introduction
of tractors in modern times. This was made possible by

(3) The invention of horse collar. To understand why, try
pulling something with your neck! An ox can do it, a horse can't.

(4) Introduction of horseshoes. Should speak for itself if you
think of the rough terrain.

(5) Heavy, wheeled plow ! The ancients just scratched the land: the
feudal Europeans started really *plowing* it.

(6) Watermills improved and spread tremendously. They were
invented by the Romans but this is when they really took off.
They were the basis for industry as well as agriculture.
The effect was comparable to that of steam engine later on.
*Tidal* mills were invented and used.

(7) Windmills were first introduced to, and built all around, Eu-
rope.  They  were  a  European  monopoly:  in  late  12th century
crusaders built the first windmill in the Middle East.

(8) New  crop rotation systems greatly raised per acre productivity

 		etc. etc.

Clearly, incentives were there - not taxed away !

The reason taxes could not be raised indiscriminately, in  viola-
tion  of  custom,  was  that there was no *irresistible force* in
that pluralist society. A coalition of vassals would be  stronger
than  the  suzerain and there was lots of competition in the suz-
erain business. With respect to your liege's liege, you were in a
nice  position:  you  owed him no allegiance, but could appeal to
his court.

Applying Frank's tax formula (above) became possible much  later,
under an *absolutist state* : in France, starting with Richelieu.
The people, said that  great  centralizer,  is  a  mule  that  is
spoiled by leisure more than by work.
Then, inventing new taxes grew to be an industry much in  demand.
By the end of Louis XIV rule, it crushed the peasants to a condi-
tion where they looked, to a fresh observer, hardly human  -  and
devastated  the economy in general. Bourgeois revolutions pro-
vided a redress, by establishing  a  cheap  government,  limiting
taxation, and separating economic from political power.

Now we observe a gradual erosion of these achievements.

		Jan Wasilewsky

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/08/86)

                        Tax History of the World
                                (abridged)

When powers-that-be are disunited, you get to keep some  of  your
money  and  liberty.  When they are united, they suck you dry and
to do that unhindered, they tie you up and gag you.

                        Jan Wasilewsky

In article <28200477@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Feudal society was not libertarian. It had, however, certain  li-
>bertarian  features: governmental functions were diffuse and were
>based on contractual (liege-vassal) obligations. The analogy  was
>raised  here several times; it is worth further analysis. This
>note deals with the question of whether  taxation  (or  price  of
>protection) was exorbitant then .
>Proper time and space frame should be defined for feudal society:
>it arose in the 9th, and deteriorated in 13th century, in Western Europe.
>Many of its structures and attitudes lingered much longer.

	Quite true, my contention is that a libertarian would *evolve*
into a feudal one by economic assimilation.

>(1) *Not true* even of serfs (whose life was certainly no picnic).
>Many of them demonstrably had a surplus left, which they invested
>in various ways. The simplest way was to raise a large healthy family.
>Raising livestock was another. Another (widespread later) was to
>buy their liberty.
>
>>If some method were found to  increase  the  harvest  above  this
>>point,  a  new  tradition [justifying taxation] would be created.
>
>These traditions lapsed as often as  they  were  created.  A  few
>years  of  non-collection  (always  possible  in  these turbulent
>times) would invalidate a feudal claim.
>
>>Since there was no incentive to increase the harvest, this  hap-
>>pened rarely.
>
>*No incentive* ? *Rarely* ?! Whoa !
>Now you've put your finger on the crux of the matter  !  Had  the
>tax  system  been as you described it - there would be no surplus
>for investment (except on the highest rung of the tax ladder) and
>no  incentive  for  innovation.  And harvest increases would be
>rare. So this *is* the proper test. Let us apply it.
>
>In fact, you are speaking of the time of a great agricultural and
>industrial  REVOLUTION!  Never  before,  and  nowhere else, has
>progress come at such breathtaking pace.

	My Medieval History professor agrees with you.

>Let's stick to agriculture. I'll name just a *few*  innovations.
>
>(1) This is when Europe was *colonized*, the forests cleared  and
>plowed  over.

	To clarify, prior to this time the population of Europe was
effectively restricted to river valleys and other highly fertile
lowlands of that sort.

>(5) Heavy, wheeled plow ! The ancients just scratched the land: the
>feudal Europeans started really *plowing* it.

	Not to mention 5b) The modern flared plow-blade(you know, the
thing made of two blades joined along the front margin and the whole
thing pointed forward). And this predated the wheeled plow - it was
what allowed the clearing and farming of all that forest land. In
ancient times the plow was a simple straight vertical blade.

> 		etc. etc.
>
>Clearly, incentives were there - not taxed away !

	An excellent list. There were even some things here that my
Medieval History professor didn't mention!

>The reason taxes could not be raised indiscriminately, in  viola-
>tion  of  custom,  was  that there was no *irresistible force* in
>that pluralist society. A coalition of vassals would be  stronger
>than  the  suzerain and there was lots of competition in the suz-
>erain business.

	Remember the signing of the Magna Carta - where the vassals of
one of the most powerful kings in Europe forced him to sign a
document giving away some of his rights! (England at that time was
*much* more centralized than any other European nation except perhaps
Sicily). Could there be a better example of this?

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa