[net.games.hack] Hack comments + questions

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (01/23/85)

> In article <3@gitpyr.UUCP> robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) writes:
> >> And once on a deep level I quaffed monster detection and saw a segment
> >> of the dungeon absolutely congested with monsters
> >Monster congestion like that is called a 'zoo'. I think some machine-run
> >person in the dungeon named 'David' handles all the zoos.
>
> Unless your friendly implementor changes the code, only login id's called
> "david" ever see treasure zoos.

This is not exactly correct. I know that when playing as wizard
( -w option ) there are treasure zoos.

What happens is the wizard gets a zoo part of the time, and a shop
( for normal players ) is determined by:
	if( level > 1 && level < 20 && rn2( level ) < 2 ) mkshop();

It's sort of a pity that normal people don't see treasure zoo's, maybe
the code should be changed to give a ( very ) small chance of getting
one -- of course you wouldn't live through one unless you were pretty
good since you get hit from 3 sides when standing in a doorway. With
a ring of conflict you might just make it though.
--
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH

"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

eugene@utcsrgv.UUCP (Eugene Kligerman) (01/24/85)

In article <764@clyde.UUCP> jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) writes:

>What happens is the wizard gets a zoo part of the time, and a shop
>( for normal players ) is determined by:
>	if( level > 1 && level < 20 && rn2( level ) < 2 ) mkshop();
>
>It's sort of a pity that normal people don't see treasure zoo's, maybe
>the code should be changed to give a ( very ) small chance of getting
>one -- of course you wouldn't live through one unless you were pretty
>good since you get hit from 3 sides when standing in a doorway. With
>a ring of conflict you might just make it though.

I myself have not examined the Hack source code, but I disagree with the
statement that 'normal people don`t see treasure zoos'.

I was playing as a Caveman, (not a WIZARD), and I encountered a zoo on
level 15 or so in the dungeon.  It was full of beasts, big and small, and
all aggravated at me for no particular reason.  Even the usually placid
nymph attacked me and stripped me of my armour & weapon.

While it seems that zoos are quite rare, they exist for mortals as well.

--

Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!eugene

suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) (01/25/85)

>It's sort of a pity that normal people don't see treasure zoo's, maybe
>the code should be changed to give a ( very ) small chance of getting
>one -- of course you wouldn't live through one unless you were pretty
>good since you get hit from 3 sides when standing in a doorway. With
>a ring of conflict you might just make it though.
>--
>Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH
>
>"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

Yes, I agree.  Treasure zoos are fun; everyone should get to
see at least one or two in a game.  Of course, when I play as
THE WIZARD I don't have to be too careful about being killed,
since "for some reason I am still alive", and I've usually
wished for a +3 or so crysknife, but I've encountered normal
zoos (no nifty presents under those stacks of orcs) while
playing as a mortal character, and I've found a good way to
deal with the problem of hitting 3 monsters (and being hit by
three monsters) while in a doorway:  i.e., not to be in the
doorway, but to back up one step after luring the monsters out
by tempting them with my puny self.  This way, one can bash
them one-on-one instead of taking blows from three sides.  If
you are strong enough to survive the onslaught without a ring
of conflict, your experience will go right off the map and you
will prabably be beseiged by neophyte hack-ers wanting you to
mentor them in the intricacies of the greatest thing since
sliced tripe (thanks, Chris).  I do like the ring of conflict,
though.  "The orc hits the jackal.  The umber hulk hits the
xorn.  The zombie hits the centaur.  The xan hits the tengu.
The rust monster hits the jaguar.  The little dog laughs to
see such sport, and the dish runs away with the spoon.  And
the player hits the space bar while the beasties tough it out
in the zoo."
              Ciao (and meow)
                 Monica

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (01/25/85)

> >It's sort of a pity that normal people don't see treasure zoo's, maybe
> >the code should be changed to give a ( very ) small chance of getting
> >one -- of course you wouldn't live through one unless you were pretty
> >good since you get hit from 3 sides when standing in a doorway. With
> >a ring of conflict you might just make it though.
>
> I myself have not examined the Hack source code, but I disagree with the
> statement that 'normal people don`t see treasure zoos'.
>
> I was playing as a Caveman, (not a WIZARD), and I encountered a zoo on
> level 15 or so in the dungeon.  It was full of beasts, big and small, and
> all aggravated at me for no particular reason.  Even the usually placid
> nymph attacked me and stripped me of my armour & weapon.
>
> While it seems that zoos are quite rare, they exist for mortals as well.

Yes, but was there a lot of treasure in there?
--

liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (01/25/85)

> > >Monster congestion like that is called a 'zoo'. I think some machine-run
> > >person in the dungeon named 'David' handles all the zoos.
> >
> > Unless your friendly implementor changes the code, only login id's called
> > "david" ever see treasure zoos.
>
> This is not exactly correct. I know that when playing as wizard
> ( -w option ) there are treasure zoos.
>
> It's sort of a pity that normal people don't see treasure zoo's, maybe
> the code should be changed to give a ( very ) small chance of getting
> one -- ...

Well, that's what we thought, until we found out that strcmp IS NOT a
straight boolean function, but returns -x, 0, or x, where x is a random
integer (indicating less than, equal to, and greater than in collating sequence)
Therefore, david ALWAYS gets a zoo when below level 6, and the rest of us
toesuckers have a one in 7 chance each level below level 6 of getting a zoo.
So you see, it already has been changed...even before anybody suggested a
change.

The original code was about
	if (dlevel >6 && (!rn2(7) || !strcmp("david",getlogin())))
					mkzoo();
Of course, if you have a david on your system (as we do), and if you don't
feel he deserves an unfair advantage, making it (dlevel>6 && !rn2(7)) is
equivalent.  And of course, commenting out the 'if' is an easy way to flex
your (feeble) level 1 muscles in a zoo.  If you're so inclined.

- (assorted free radicals munging source code)

Forwarded by:

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep  CSNET: liang@cvl
        UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (01/26/85)

> > >Monster congestion like that is called a 'zoo'. I think some machine-run
> > >person in the dungeon named 'David' handles all the zoos.
> > Unless your friendly implementor changes the code, only login id's called
> > "david" ever see treasure zoos.
> This is not exactly correct. I know that when playing as wizard
> ( -w option ) there are treasure zoos.
> What happens is the wizard gets a zoo part of the time, and a shop
> ( for normal players ) is determined by:
> 	if( level > 1 && level < 20 && rn2( level ) < 2 ) mkshop();
>
> It's sort of a pity that normal people don't see treasure zoo's, maybe
> the code should be changed to give a ( very ) small chance of getting
> one -- of course you wouldn't live through one unless you were pretty
> good since you get hit from 3 sides when standing in a doorway. With
> a ring of conflict you might just make it though.
> --
> Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH
>
> "Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"
Normal people do see zoos. I've been killed by several of them and I have
defeated even more of them.

					Ray

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (01/27/85)

In article <1644@cvl.UUCP> liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) writes:
	>Therefore, david ALWAYS gets a zoo when below level 6,

Big question: who was the original david, what is his net address, and
why does he gets the zoo always?

The person who can give me the answer first, will get a free UNIX*
licence (plate).

	Jaap Akkerhuis

* Hmm, UNIX, where did I hear about it before...

tracy@hcrvx1.UUCP (Tracy Tims) (01/28/85)

Real people see zoos.

I haven't played Wizard mode yet, but I added two cheats
to my Hack.  If I define HACK_GIVENAMES my copy does a running identify on
everything.  I also bumped up the carry limit of a character.  (I am an old
rogue player and I figured it would be too boring to figure it all out again.)

In a normal game, the very best way for a wizard to get ahead is to get a
wand of sleep, and another offensive wand (fire, cold, death) and off a
shopkeeper.  Fast and you get lots of magic out of it.

                              Tracy Tims    {linus,allegra,decvax}!watmath!...
   Human Computing Resources Corporation                     {ihnp4,utzoo}!...
 Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  416 922-1937                   ...hcr!hcrvx1!tracy

johnsi@lasspvax.UUCP (John Sievers) (01/28/85)

In article <> jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) writes:
>> >It's sort of a pity that normal people don't see treasure zoo's, maybe
>> >the code should be changed to give a ( very ) small chance of getting
>> >one -- of course you wouldn't live through one unless you were pretty
>> >good since you get hit from 3 sides when standing in a doorway. With
>> >a ring of conflict you might just make it though.
>>
>> I myself have not examined the Hack source code, but I disagree with the
>> statement that 'normal people don`t see treasure zoos'.
>>
>> I was playing as a Caveman, (not a WIZARD), and I encountered a zoo on
>> level 15 or so in the dungeon.  It was full of beasts, big and small, and
>> all aggravated at me for no particular reason.  Even the usually placid
>> nymph attacked me and stripped me of my armour & weapon.
>>
>> While it seems that zoos are quite rare, they exist for mortals as well.
>>
>Yes, but was there a lot of treasure in there?

I found a treasure zoo also while playing a mortal.  The room was full of gold
because I quafed a locate objects potion and found about 100 dollar signs all
packed into a neat little square.  When I finally reached the room and cleared
it out though there were two treasures.  I assume that the monsters picked up
each others gold and let it all accumulate in front of the door as they were
killed off.
--
...The last bug in sight,
   one small ant passing by,

cornell!lasspvax!johnsi

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (01/30/85)

><
> I found a treasure zoo also while playing a mortal.  The room was full of gold
> because I quafed a locate objects potion and found about 100 dollar signs all
> packed into a neat little square.  When I finally reached the room and cleared
> it out though there were two treasures.  I assume that the monsters picked up
> each others gold and let it all accumulate in front of the door as they were
> killed off.

I've noticed that when encountering one of these rooms, if there happens to
be a leprechaun in it, they won't attack you.  Instead, they go around
picking up all the gold they can find.  Found this out one day when I had
a ring of conflict on and had a chance to observe exactly what all the
monsters were doing without endangering my life.  There was one leppy in
the room and as soon as he picked up all the gold, he left.  I managed to
chase him down after I cleared the room of all other monsters and, upon
killing him, found he had over 2000 gold pieces on him.

			robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (02/06/85)

In article <178@lasspvax.UUCP> johnsi@lasspvax.UUCP (John Sievers) writes:

>In article <> jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) writes:

	[a bunch of quoted stuff that everybody has seen already]
	[and is unimportant anyway]

>>> I was playing as a Caveman, (not a WIZARD), and I encountered a zoo on
>>> level 15 or so in the dungeon.  It was full of beasts, big and small, and
>>> all aggravated at me for no particular reason.  Even the usually placid
>>> nymph attacked me and stripped me of my armour & weapon.
>>>
>>> While it seems that zoos are quite rare, they exist for mortals as well.
>>>
>>Yes, but was there a lot of treasure in there?
>
>I found a treasure zoo also while playing a mortal.  The room was full of gold
>because I quafed a locate objects potion and found about 100 dollar signs all
>packed into a neat little square.  When I finally reached the room and cleared
>it out though there were two treasures.  I assume that the monsters picked up
>each others gold and let it all accumulate in front of the door as they were
>killed off.

Weeelllll......First, let me say that nobody around hears me complain
about my getting lots of treasure zoos.  (I usually don't get down
that deep anyway...:-))  (And other people here have gotten them
as well).

I was once fighting a treasure zoo, and in the background a L was walking
around the room picking up gold.  I got killed before the L was done so
I don't know if he left or what.
--
-:--:-
David Herron;

No stupid sayings (I can't think of one).

No stupid disclaimers (Nobody else would claim my statements anyway).