[net.games.hack] Hack on a PDP-11/44

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (01/28/85)

<munch>

Has anyone successfully brought up hack on a PDP-11/44?
A first glance it seems like hack is way too big. Is
it worth my time to try to squeeze in on?

edward
...cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!edward

play@turing.UUCP (01/31/85)

In article <552@ukma.UUCP> edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>Has anyone successfully brought up hack on a PDP-11/44?
>A first glance it seems like hack is way too big. Is
>it worth my time to try to squeeze in on?
It is not impossible; I have had a 11/44 version long ago. You'll have
to start by throwing out vaults&guards, options, news, help, engravings,
tracking properties of monsters, the choice of character at the beginning
of the game, the tombstone, the camera, the scroll of punishment and all
references to ball and chain, the icebox, the whistles and magic whistles,
the commands 'a','o','=',')','[','/','\\','?'; if that is not enough (and
it won't be) throw away all mention of gems, the special treatment of
unicorns, the long worms (in the lincolnsudbury version 'w' was a wumpus -
restore that situation), the wand of wishing together with the routines
that parse a typed in object name, the wizard mode, the ring of warning.
Throw away the routine docorner, and let inventories be given one item a
time at the topline. Trim down the routines in topl.c. Omit the possibility
to ask for repetition of recent messages.
By now it should almost fit, and throwing away a few other small things
you should be able to make it work. It is a lot of work.
By the way, if I remember correctly (but this might have been on an 11/45)
it is not enough to have the program down to precisely 64K, because some
bug in loader or kernel will still prevent it from running. It should be
64K minus 64 bytes.

huisjes@ark.UUCP (Michiel B. Huisjes) (02/01/85)

In article <248@turing.UUCP> play@turing.UUCP (The MC-funhouse) writes:
>It is not impossible; I have had a 11/44 version long ago. You'll have
>to start by throwing out vaults&guards, options, news, help, engravings,
>tracking properties of monsters, the choice of character at the beginning
>of the game, the tombstone, the camera, the scroll of punishment and all
>references to ball and chain, the icebox, the whistles and magic whistles,
>the commands 'a','o','=',')','[','/','\\','?'; if that is not enough (and
>it won't be) throw away all mention of gems, the special treatment of
>unicorns, the long worms (in the lincolnsudbury version 'w' was a wumpus -
>restore that situation), the wand of wishing together with the routines
>that parse a typed in object name, the wizard mode, the ring of warning.
>Throw away the routine docorner, and let inventories be given one item a
>time at the topline. Trim down the routines in topl.c. Omit the possibility
>to ask for repetition of recent messages.
>By now it should almost fit, and throwing away a few other small things
>you should be able to make it work. It is a lot of work.
>By the way, if I remember correctly (but this might have been on an 11/45)
>it is not enough to have the program down to precisely 64K, because some
>bug in loader or kernel will still prevent it from running. It should be
>64K minus 64 bytes.

In fact, I have got this version lying around somewhere. I got this years
from somebody at mcvax. (This must have been Andries Brouwer, but I'm not sure)
There is lot of difference between this old version and the new version.
The main differences are described above (the things you had to remove). Some
other features are added, like graveyards, swamps and an own implementation
of vaults.
If anyone is interested, I'll send him/her a copy.
Have fun and good Hacking!

			Michiel Huisjes.
			{seismo|decvax|philabs}!mcvax!vu44!botter!ark!huisjes

P.S.  I don't know if these sources have a copyright. They did not have it,
      when I got them.

mb@pertec.UUCP (mike burg) (02/07/85)

> In article <248@turing.UUCP> play@turing.UUCP (The MC-funhouse) writes:
>It is not impossible; I have had a 11/44 version long ago. You'll have
>to start by throwing out vaults&guards, options, news, help, engravings,
>tracking properties of monsters, the choice of character at the beginning
>of the game, the tombstone, the camera, the scroll of punishment and all
>references to ball and chain, the icebox, the whistles and magic whistles,
>the commands 'a','o','=',')','[','/','\\','?'; if that is not enough (and
>it won't be) throw away all mention of gems, the special treatment of
>unicorns, the long worms (in the lincolnsudbury version 'w' was a wumpus -
>restore that situation), the wand of wishing together with the routines
>that parse a typed in object name, the wizard mode, the ring of warning.
>Throw away the routine docorner, and let inventories be given one item a
>time at the topline. Trim down the routines in topl.c. Omit the possibility
>to ask for repetition of recent messages.
>By now it should almost fit, and throwing away a few other small things
>you should be able to make it work. It is a lot of work.
>By the way, if I remember correctly (but this might have been on an 11/45)
>it is not enough to have the program down to precisely 64K, because some
>bug in loader or kernel will still prevent it from running. It should be
>64K minus 64 bytes.

	I have hack running on a PDP-11/44 running 2.9bsd. 2.9bsd has a
new feature that allows programs to be overlaied (I think maybe someone
has tried to put this feature in V7, also). Anyways, the whole program is
roughly over 220KB (34K of it which is the data, leaving around 25K to 30K
for run-time allocation, the highest the data segment has gotten was around
45K at run-time).

		Mike Burg
		decvax!trwrb!pertec!mb
PS, has anyone else try this?