[net.games.hack] I won too!!

jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) (01/24/85)

*** REPLACE THIS MESSAGE WITH YOUR LINE ***

I won hack two days ago without having ever looked at any source code.
For the benefit of those looking for some consolidated advice, here
goes:

1)  Be a caveman!  I was, the added strength, decent weaponry, etc are
more than enough to win with.

2)  Be sure to eat an L and an E early.  An L gives you the teleporting
you need to loot shops, and the E makes blindness even helpful.

3)  Don't leave early levels without full exploration, you can gain 3 or
4 experience levels on levels one and two by killing L's, M's, and a's.

4)  If you can't get a crysknife (wand of wishing) early, enchant the
hell out of whatever you get.  A +6 mace called Orcrist will serve to
kill almost anything.

5)  Get decent armour (+3 plate, +2 gloves, +3 elven cloak, +2 helmet,
+0 shield).  It will protect you from just about anything.

6)  Forget your dog, unless you get a magic whistle.  As a caveman, you
can kill him from level 4 up, without damage to yourself, and can always
get a new one later.

7)  Don't forget "Elbereth"

8)  Save wands of digging for later (maze and vaults).  Telport control
is useful, but not essential (I didn't have it).  Conflict makes zoos
fun, but can anger shopkeepers and steals your experience by having
others kill your monsters.

9)  Leave extra food near staircases for the way back up.  Same for
extra wands, etc.

10)  Get as much gold as you can, to help your score.  Also, escape with
a full load.

11)  Try to genocide c, D, R, x, and then just pick a letter.

12)  Most monsters are wimps.

13)  Have fun!  Be prepared to play at least 3 hours to get a good game
and a high score.

				Mithrandir

Joe Konstan
jak@talcott.{UUCP,ARPA}

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (01/25/85)

Mithrandir's advice was good.  Here are some comments and additional pieces
of advice

> I won hack two days ago without having ever looked at any source code.
> For the benefit of those looking for some consolidated advice, here
> goes:

> 7)  Don't forget "Elbereth"

I am curious as to where you learned this if not from the source...  Sure there
is a fortune cookie that makes vague reference to it, but who actually figured
it out on their own (without playing as THE wizard)?  BTW, I don't think I used
it to win the game.

> 8)  Save wands of digging for later (maze and vaults).  Telport control
> is useful, but not essential (I didn't have it).  Conflict makes zoos
> fun, but can anger shopkeepers and steals your experience by having
> others kill your monsters.

The minotaur will have a wand of digging underneath him.  I had to rely on this
knowledge to blast for the amulet of yendor.  You will probably need object
detection to find the amulet in the maze.

> 11)  Try to genocide c, D, R, x, and then just pick a letter.

If you don't get a scroll of genocide, always use some sort of emergency
weapon/potion/scroll immediately when you see a 'c'... don't fart around.

If you don't have poison resistance and you are attacked by bees, eat the first
dead one you get.  You might die instantly, but if you don't you will be immune
permanently.

Eat dead wraithes.  They pop you a level instantly.

	--Cliff [Matthews]
	{purdue, cmcl2, ihnp4}!lanl!unmvax!cliff
	{csu-cs, pur-ee, convex, gatech, ucbvax}!unmvax!cliff
	4744 Trumbull S.E. - Albuquerque  NM  87108 - (505) 265-9143

rob@ark.UUCP (Rob van Leeuwen) (01/29/85)

In article <258@talcott.UUCP> jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) writes:

>I won hack two days ago without having ever looked at any source code.
>4)  If you can't get a crysknife (wand of wishing) early, enchant the
>hell out of whatever you get.  A +6 mace called Orcrist will serve to
>kill almost anything.
>7)  Don't forget "Elbereth"

So!
You did not look at any source code, and still you know about 'Orcrist' and
'Elberth'???
My, my, that makes me wonder...
--

					Rob van Leeuwen
					..!mcvax!vu44!botter!ark!rob

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (01/30/85)

> So!
> You did not look at any source code, and still you know about 'Orcrist' and
> 'Elberth'???
> My, my, that makes me wonder...
> --

Well, I didn't look these up either -- and now *I* know about them too.
Actually, don't fortune cookies hint about these items?

--
(Bug?  What bug?  That's a feature!)

Dave Cohrs
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!dave
dave@wisc-rsch.arpa

ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) (02/03/85)

> Well, I didn't look these up either -- and now *I* know about them too.
> Actually, don't fortune cookies hint about these items?

I have never gotten a fortune out of a cookie.  Do they show up
randomly, or do I have to do something special like break them open?
I am getting exasperated to hear about all these hints without being
able to get my own.

   Darin Johnson

nason@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (David Nason) (02/06/85)

[A piece of brocolli - for the line eater]

> I have never gotten a fortune out of a cookie.  Do they show up
> randomly, or do I have to do something special like break them open?
> I am getting exasperated to hear about all these hints without being
> able to get my own.

  You eat them....

--

David Nason

ARPA:   nason@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA
UUCP:   {seismo,decvax,allegra}!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-spice!nason
CSNET:  nason%cmu-cs-a@csnet-relay
BITNET: nason%cmccte%cu20b.bitnet@wiscvm

ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) (02/08/85)

> > I have never gotten a fortune out of a cookie.  Do they show up
> > randomly, or do I have to do something special like break them open?
> > I am getting exasperated to hear about all these hints without being
> > able to get my own.
>
>   You eat them....

OK, I have had many people tell me this.  I should have mentioned the
(obvious?) assumption that I ate them.  It turns out that the hack I use
is a little strange and has been hacked to bits.  Sorry about all of you
that had to read my original "annoyingly naive" posting.

   Darin Johnson