[net.games.hack] Biting the dust....

msj@gitpyr.UUCP (Mike St. Johns) (01/25/85)

Well, I've died every possible way now in hack... being killed by various
monsters, having my dog turn on me, having a wand of fire bounce...
but nothing can compare with the sheer frustation of being killed by your own
ghost. Not to mention your own little dog from a previous incarnation.
Oh well, it had to happen.... Mike
--
Mike St. Johns
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!msj

jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) (01/27/85)

> Well, I've died every possible way now in hack... being killed by various
> monsters, having my dog turn on me, having a wand of fire bounce...
> but nothing can compare with the sheer frustation of being killed by your own
> ghost. Not to mention your own little dog from a previous incarnation.
> Oh well, it had to happen.... Mike

Well, one thing is worse.  Picture this:

     1)  You are a caveman on level nine of the dungeon
     2)  You have just quaffed 2 raise levels to reach level 15
     3)  You kill a wraith
     4)  You eat it, not being cautious since you haven't eaten in two
         dungeon levels.
     5)  You choke...and die!!

Someone here also seems to have died on the way up, with the amulet, by
stopping into a wand shop and trying out wands.  He hit death and it
bounced and hit him.

By the way, zoos are real fun.  Conflict makes them easy, but you can
still rack up points by zapping in diagonally to finish off some of the
creatures.

					-Mithrandir

Joe Konstan
jak@talcott.{UUCP,ARPA}

alien@gcc-opus.ARPA (Alien Wells) (01/28/85)

In article <58@gitpyr.UUCP> msj@gitpyr.UUCP (Mike St. Johns) writes:
>Well, I've died every possible way now in hack... being killed by various
>monsters, having my dog turn on me, having a wand of fire bounce...
>but nothing can compare with the sheer frustation of being killed by your own
>ghost. Not to mention your own little dog from a previous incarnation.
>Oh well, it had to happen.... Mike

There is something much worse.  Imagine having an AC of -9(!!) including an
elven cloak (making you immune to attacks from c, A, R, k and others for those
who don't know), a +5 weapon, strength of 18+.  Now imagine teleporting randomly
because you ate an L.  Finally imagine killing a c, carefully marking the
position of the corpse on the screen (you don't want to touch it!), and going
off to finish the level.  Now, what do you say when a random teleport puts
you right on the c, with a 'touching a cocatrice is a deadly mistake' message?

Can you say AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

					Alien

walter@micomvax.UUCP (02/01/85)

Well, speaking of wonderful ways of dieing ...
here is my highest score to date:
  1  37280   walter-C was killed on level 15 by a dead cockatrice.     97 [98]

There I was having a grand old time, I beat up the cockatrice (with a few
mighty blows) then I picked up his ugly corpse. Of course, I was wearing the
the gloves I ripped off from a one of the ghosts I killed. WOW .. Now I could
wield this cockatrice and find out just how deadly these stupid things really
are ... WOW ... monsters turning to stone left, right and centre, THIS IS
GREAT, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS ... but alas the screen became full of
little rooms and twisty little passages.  So off we go to the next level ...
Having recently destroyed two ghosts, my pack is bulging with lots of wonderful
things .... so of course I fall down the stairs ... (as I have done on many
previouse levels) .....
as I fall ... the stupid cockatrice touches me; I turn to stone; I die!!!

(aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!)

	Not very long thereafter, I had a new 'C' quite a ways down. I wiped out
somebodies ghost in a hallway, and start carting the goods to a nearby room
for sorting and keeping only the GOOD stuff.  THE JERK HAD A COCKATRICE IN
HIS PACK!!!! (and I found it before I found the gloves which surely must have
been in there somewhere)......

DEATH TO COCKATRICES!!!!! (NO NO they're worse dead than alive!!!)

GENOCIDE COCKATRICES!!!!

WalteR					( ...philabs!micomvax!walter)

preston@fortune.UUCP (Carol Preston) (02/01/85)

In article <211@gcc-opus.ARPA> alien@gcc-opus.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:
>... (making you immune to attacks from c, A, R, k and others for those
>who don't know)...

PULL-EAZE.  If you are going to say something like this in your article.
PULL-EAZE indicate you are giving a spoiler.  I am so depressed now.  I
did not know this (I didn't include it all because I don't want to spoil
it for others) and I would have liked to find this out by myself.  I just
thought I was going to read an article on somebody's mis-adventures. (I find
them amusing. I haven't gotten very far myself. But some of the postings
give me hope.)  I haven't seen very many spoiler warnings in the postings to
this group so far.  It's your right to brag, but please don't spoil it
for others.

****************SPOILER****************************
BTW, my best game so far has been as a tourist.  I ate a tin of spinach
right away.  I found some banded mail and a long sword on the first level.
(I know. It will never happen again) All I did was go up to the monsters,
took their picture and blinded the little devils and beat the hell out of
them.  Boy was that fun.  Only problem was that I went all the way down to
level 19 and never once found a store.  Oh well. I had fun>
****************RELOIPS****************************

Thanks to all who heed my plea.

--
Carol Preston
{hpda, ihnp4, allegra, ucbvax!dual}!fortune!preston

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (02/12/85)

It is not always a good idea to (As suggested in the article to which
I am responding) to kill defenseless monsters (Ones who have been blinded).

For the 'E' anyway, you stand a *chance* of losing luck if you do this.
Since luck is so hard to obtain in the first place, it is a scarce
resource and shouldn't be squandered.

(BTW, the chance is 1 in 500 of losing 1 pt. of luck)
--
-:--:-
David Herron;

No stupid sayings (I can't think of one).

No stupid disclaimers (Nobody else would claim my statements anyway).