[net.games.hack] dice throws?

pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) (02/11/85)

I don't know much about dice throws in games like hack and rogue.
Could someone please explain how probabilities are done in these
games? For example, what does '2d8' mean when people talk losing
hit points?
Thanks
--
Steve Pearse
ihnp4!hound!pearse

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/11/85)

In article <892@hound.UUCP> pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) writes:
>I don't know much about dice throws in games like hack and rogue.
>Could someone please explain how probabilities are done in these
>games? For example, what does '2d8' mean when people talk losing
>hit points?
>Thanks
>--
>Steve Pearse
>ihnp4!hound!pearse

2d8 means roll 2 8-sided dice.  1d4/1d4 means roll 1 4-sided die twice.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

fritzz@sdcc3.UUCP (fritzz) (02/14/85)

>>For example, what does '2d8' mean when people talk losing
>>hit points?
>>--
>2d8 means roll 2 8-sided dice.  1d4/1d4 means roll 1 4-sided die twice.

ummm, kinda. in general, the number before the d indicates the number of
dice to be thrown, the number after the d indicates the number of faces
the dice has. The notation 1d4/1d4/1d10 is used to denote the damage
done by monsters. In this case the monster gets 3 attacks per round,
(2 claws and 1 pair of fangs) in which case you roll 1d20 for _each_
attack to see if it hits, and then find the damage due to that attack if
it did. (this means rolling to hit 3 times. In hack this shows up as a
monster hitting three times to your one. In rogue it just sees if any of
the attacks were succesful for its message.)

(I suppose that i should mention that you need to get a 10 on a d20 to
hit, modified by such things as attackers dexterity, strength, weapon,
level enchantments,weight of pack, and opponents armorclass and dexterity)

(Oh yeah, i don't know if it ever comes up,but XdY+Z means X Ysided dice
plus Z points added to the total.)
--
ihnp4--\                                        fritzz the Zebra
decvax--\