[net.games.hack] hackhints/net.files/food

harmon_c@h-sc1.UUCP (david harmon) (03/15/85)

From uucp Thu Mar 14 14:35:37 1985

>From harmon  Thu Mar 14 13:19:14 1985 remote from h-sc4
To: harmon_c@h-sc1
Subject: net.files/food

This file was contributed by Colonel George l. Sicherman on the net.

Levels: satiated, not hungry, hungry, weak, fainting.

Initial food in belly: 900 units.

Distribution of foods:

	50	food ration
	20	tripe ration
	 3	pancake
	 3	dead lizard
	 7	fortune cookie
	 2	carrot
	 7	can
	 1	orange
	 1	apple
	 1	pear
	 1	melon
	 1	banana
	 1	candy bar
	 1	egg
	 1	clove of garlic

Consumption time, weight, and food value of foods:

	food ration 		5	 4	 800
	tripe ration		1	 2	 200
	pancake			1	 1	 200
	dead lizard		0	 1	  40
	fortune cookie		0	 1	  40
	carrot			0	 1	  50
	can			0	 1	   *
	orange			0	 1	  80
	apple			0	 1	  50
	pear			0	 1	  50
	melon			0	 1	 100
	banana			0	 1	  80
	candy bar		0	 1	 100
	egg			0	 1	  80
	clove of garlic		0	 1	  40
	dead human		4	40	 400
	dead giant ant		1	 3	  30
	dead giant bat		1	 3	  30
	dead centaur		5	50	 500
	dead dragon		15	150	1500
	dead floating eye	1	 1	  10
	dead freezing sphere	1	 1	  10
	dead gnome		1	10	 100
	dead hobgoblin		2	20	 200
	dead stalker		4	40	 400
	dead jackal		1	10	 100
	dead kobold		1	10	 100
	dead leprechaun		4	40	 400
	dead mimic		4	40	 400
	dead nymph		4	40	 400
	dead orc		2	20	 200
	dead purple worm	7	70	 700
	dead quasit		2	20	 200
	dead rust monster	5	50	 500
	dead snake		1	10	 100
	dead troll		4	40	 400
	dead umber hulk		5	50	 500
	dead vampire		4	40	 400
	dead wraith		1	 1	  10
	dead xorn		7	70	 700
	dead yeti		7	70	 700
	dead zombie		1	 3	  30
	dead acid blob		1	 3	  30
	dead giant beetle	1	 1	  10
	dead cockatrice		1	 3	  30
	dead dog		2	20	 200
	dead ettin		1	 3	  30
	dead fog cloud		1	 1	  10
	dead gelatinous cube	1	10	 100
	dead homunculus		2	20	 200
	dead imp		1	 1	  10
	dead jaguar		3	30	 300
	dead killer bee		1	 1	  10
	dead leocrotta		5	50	 500
	dead minotaur		7	70	 700
	dead nurse		4	40	 400
	dead owlbear		7	70	 700
	dead piercer		2	20	 200
	dead quivering blob	1	10	 100
	dead giant rat		1	 3	  30
	dead giant scorpion	1	10	 100
	dead tengu		3	30	 300
	dead unicorn		3	30	 300
	dead violet fungi	1	10	 100
	dead long worm		5	50	 500
	dead xan		3	30	 300
	dead yellow light	1	 1	  10
	dead zruty		6	60	 600

Food values of canned food:
	spinach		600
	peaches		 40
	salmon		 60
	apple juice	 20
	substance	500
	rotten meat	-50
	empty can	  0

Side effects of canned food:
	salmon		makes your fingers slippery for 1-15 turns
	spinach		makes you stronger (18/01-18/00 if you are > 16;
					18/01 otherwise)

Distribution of canned food:
	spinach		1 in 2
	others		1 in 12

Weapons for opening cans quickly:
	axe
	crysknife
	dagger

Probability of rotten food (unless fortune cookie or dead monster): 1/7

Consequences of rotten food:
	1 in 4		confusion (2d4)
	3 in 16		blindness (2d10) (if not blind already)
	3 in 16		loss of consciousness (1-10)
	3 in 8		no harm

Value of rotten food: 1/4 normal value.

Consequences of eating dead monsters:
	acid blob, giant ant, giant beetle, dragon, homunculus,
		kobold, snake, vampire: poison (save: 1 in 5).
	bat: you become confused.
	cockatrice: you turn to stone.
	dog, human: you aggravate all monsters.
	dragon: you can resist fire.
	floating eye: you become telepathic.
	freezing sphere, yeti: you can resist cold.
	invisible stalker, yellow light: you become confused.  In Quest,
		also improves your vision by 1.
	killer bee, scorpion: poison (save: 1 in 5); you can resist poison
		thereafter.
	leprechaun, nymph, tengu: you will teleport occasionally.
	mimic: you turn into a treasure chest for 30 moves.
	nurse: restore your hit points.  You aggravate all monsters.
	wraith: you gain a level of experience.

	floating eye, leprechaun, nymph, orc, purple worm, quasit,
		rust monster, umber hulk, unicorn, xan, zruty: you get
		sick and lose 1d8 hit points (save 1/5).

	If the monster is not fresh, you get very sick.

Belly limit: 1499 units

Side effects of ordinary food:
	tripe: gain 1 experience point; 1 chance in 2 of throwing it up
	carrot: in Quest, improves vision by 1
	fortune cookie: contains a message

Eating restores 1 strength point unless it leaves you weak or satiated.

  As far as fortune cookies...I never used to get them either.  Then I
stop killing my dog right away.  Does this have something to do with the
"luck" attribute people talk about?  I don't know if it is a valid correlation.
After you eat the fortune cookie a message will appear.

I have discovered several "incorrect" items in the original posting of
this article.  Through play (not source peeking), I have found the
following that contradict the original item:

>Side effects of canned food:
>	salmon		makes your fingers slippery for 1-15 turns
>	spinach		makes you stronger (18/01-18/00 if you are > 16;
>					18/01 otherwise)

I have had a strength of 9 go to 18/86, and a strength of 16 go to
17 before.

>Consequences of eating dead monsters:
>	invisible stalker, yellow light: you become confused.  In Quest,
>		also improves your vision by 1.

In hack, eating an I also allows you to see invisible.

>Side effects of ordinary food:
>	tripe: gain 1 experience point; 1 chance in 2 of throwing it up
>	carrot: in Quest, improves vision by 1
>	fortune cookie: contains a message

A carrot in hack will also cure blindness.

Poison resistance: If you find a potion of healing or extra healing, save it.
                   When you kill a killer bee, eat it and then quaff the potion
                   on your next turn.