[net.games.hack] "cheating" at hack

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (03/20/85)

This is in response to the guy who commits suicide on level 2 as
a tourist and kills his ghost as a caveman.  Not a bad ploy.  For
awhile I was restarting games as a tourist until I got enough tins
of spinich to raise my strength to 18.  Almost as good as your method.
The other thing is to keep restarting the game as wizard until you
get a wand of polymorph, then polymorph your dog into an umber hulk.
This is a wonderful ploy, as the big U will take on anything, even
shopkeepers, and never loses.

This is NOT cheating, as it uses nothing you couldn't normally do
in the game.

But....

It does make the game a little boring.  My latest stratagy is to
take a 'losing situation', that is, circumstances that my peers
think couldn't win, and turn them into good scores.  My current
effort is to nurse the speliologist (without that stupid refrigerator)
to victory.  It's not easy.

BTW, something that's making the game much easier for us experianced
hackers is the volume of inexperianced players here.  By the time
you get to level 20 you've killed maybe 3 or 4 ghosts, and have just
about as much heavy magic as you can carry.  Who needs to rig the
game with such a bountiful supply of deceased adventurers?

Anyway, there's more than one way to play the game.

--
	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix,vecpyr,isi,idx}!wjvax!ron

rick@sesame.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (03/23/85)

> This is in response to the guy who commits suicide on level 2 as
> a tourist and kills his ghost as a caveman.  Not a bad ploy.
> But....
> It does make the game a little boring.  My latest stratagy is to
> take a 'losing situation', that is, circumstances that my peers
> think couldn't win, and turn them into good scores.
> 	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)

I've switched to this mode myself (I was the suicide poster).  You've
got to, in order to have any fun after having a total win.  I have
two changes I'd like to see, though:
1)	Kick dog.  Makes dog run away from you for some amount of moves.
	There's nothing I hate worse than walking down a dead end with
	three dogs following, and then trying to get the mutts to move
	out of the way so I can get out of the hall.  As often as not,
	I end up killing one or more of them in my frustration to get
	out.  Especially if I have tripe in my pack that I'd like
	to save as a special reward for a particular good monster kill.
2)	Some way to pick up stuff in the middle of a pile.  I find it
	a useless waste of time to have to unstack the neat piles
	of stuff a ghost leaves in order to get at something in the
	middle of the pile.
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

	{genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!{rick|pcrat!rick}
		{cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!{rick|pcrat!rick}
			rick%sesame@harvard.ARPA

play@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (03/26/85)

In article <169@sesame.UUCP> rick@sesame.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> I have two changes I'd like to see, though:
> 1)	Kick dog.  Makes dog run away from you for some amount of moves.

This will be in version 1.0.2 (next week ...)

>2)	Some way to pick up stuff in the middle of a pile.  I find it
>	a useless waste of time to have to unstack the neat piles
>	of stuff a ghost leaves in order to get at something in the
>	middle of the pile.

Give a detailed suggestion for the command syntax. If I like it, it'll
be in version 1.0.3 (this fall). Probably a simple extension of the ':'
command would do.