[net.games.hack] Wands **SPOILER**

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (03/26/85)

I have looked at the source code and discovered that the wand of cancellation
have the following effects on monsters, in addition to those printed
in the hint files:

'A' can't weaken you
'c' decreases your chances of being petrified
'F' will not explode
'g' its juices will not freeze you
'h' its bite will not put you to sleep
'k' cancels its poison sting
'N' cancels its seduction but ONLY if you are not blind
'P' will not swallow you
'R' can only rust your helmet
'S' cancels its poisonous bite
'v' can't hold you
'y' will not blind you

While we're on the topic of wands, I have listed them in order of their
probability of occurrence:

wand			prob.	type
----			-----	----
light			.10	NODIR
magic missile		.10	RAY
striking		.09	IMMEDIATE
make invisible		.09	IMMEDIATE

secret door detection	.05	NODIR
create monster		.05	NODIR
slow monster		.05	IMMEDIATE
speed monster		.05	IMMEDIATE
undead turning		.05	IMMEDIATE
polymorph		.05	IMMEDIATE
cancellation		.05	IMMEDIATE
teleport monster	.05	IMMEDIATE
digging			.05	RAY
fire			.05	RAY
sleep			.05	RAY
cold			.05	RAY

death			.01	RAY
wishing			.01	NODIR

However, do note that a new version of the game will be out in two weeks,
so the above information (and those in the hint files)
may not be correct for very long!!

--
Henry Chai {watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utzoo!utflis!chai        o.-
Faculty of Library and Information Science                  \_/

benl@alice.UUCP (Ben Liberman) (03/31/85)

	I found a new wand!!! (At least I think it's new). I don't
	know what it's called, so I can't tell you what to wish for,
	because I died immediately after using it. I zapped it at a
	floating-eye, and it told me the eye's status!!! It told me
	what the eye's hit points, damage, armor class, and level
	were! I have only gotten this once, so please tell me if this
	was just a bug or a new wand.

Ben Liberman

Definition of quarantine: Come in Kids! Free Ice-Cream!

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (03/31/85)

--More--

Has anyone else noticed the code for the wand of probing?  it is usually
#ifdef'd out, since PROBING isn't defined.  When you zap a monster with
it, you get a message which is the monster's stats (HP, AC, etc).  Not
terribly useful, but interesting.

Merlyn Leroy
"...a dimension between stupidity and substance, between science and
superficiality, a place we call...The Usenet Zone"

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (04/02/85)

> 	I found a new wand!!! (At least I think it's new). I don't
> 	know what it's called, so I can't tell you what to wish for,
> 	because I died immediately after using it. I zapped it at a
> 	floating-eye, and it told me the eye's status!!! It told me
> 	what the eye's hit points, damage, armor class, and level
> 	were! I have only gotten this once, so please tell me if this
> 	was just a bug or a new wand.

You shouldn't get this wand unless your hack maintainer has been tampering
with the source.  The wand (I forget what it's called) is basically used
for debugging.  The code that defines it's properties in the source is
delimited by a bunch of #ifdef's so someone at your site must of changed
something.
			robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (04/02/85)

In article <3510@alice.UUCP> benl@alice.UUCP (Ben Liberman) writes:

>	I found a new wand!!! ... I zapped it at a
>	floating-eye, and it told me the eye's status!!! It told me
>	what the eye's hit points, damage, armor class, and level were!

Most people will not find this wand as the code is between
#ifdef WAN_PROBING ... #endif conditionals. It was meant
for debugging purposes only, but if your hack installer
liked it he may have added it to the usual assortment of
wands (thus diminishing the chances for some other type of wand).

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/03/85)

> 	I found a new wand!!! (At least I think it's new). I don't
> 	know what it's called, so I can't tell you what to wish for,
> 	because I died immediately after using it. I zapped it at a
> 	floating-eye, and it told me the eye's status!!! It told me
> 	what the eye's hit points, damage, armor class, and level
> 	were! I have only gotten this once, so please tell me if this
> 	was just a bug or a new wand.
>
> Ben Liberman
>
> Definition of quarantine: Come in Kids! Free Ice-Cream!

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR EXPLANATION ***
No, this is not a bug, although some may think it is.....
It is actually in the source code and is called a "Wand of Probing"

The effects of it has allready been explaned by the previous message.

The line in which the wand is declared is as followed:

		case WAN_PROBING:
			mstatusline(mtmp);
			break;

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/03/85)

In article <3510@alice.UUCP> benl@alice.UUCP (Ben Liberman) writes:

>	I found a new wand!!! (At least I think it's new). I don't
>	know what it's called, so I can't tell you what to wish for,
>	because I died immediately after using it. I zapped it at a
>	floating-eye, and it told me the eye's status!!! It told me
>	what the eye's hit points, damage, armor class, and level
>	were! I have only gotten this once, so please tell me if this
>	was just a bug or a new wand.
>
>Ben Liberman

Wand of probing.  It is conditionally defined in the configuration file,
so not every version will have it.  (In fact, I don't believe all the
code for it is actually there, so your administrator must have added this.)

						-- Scott Turner