[net.games.hack] Hack too slow

steve@tellab3.UUCP (Steve Harpster) (04/03/85)

Is the new version coming out any faster?  The I/O is SO SLOW that
it deters many people here from playing it.  Redrawing the map
takes at least a minute (on a VAX 750 with a load average < 1).
Is is just us or does everyone have this problem?
--

...ihnp4!tellab1!steve
Steve Harpster

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (04/05/85)

[You are lucky! Full moon tonight.]

In article <255@tellab3.UUCP> steve@tellab3.UUCP (& Harpster) writes:
>Is the new version coming out any faster?  The I/O is SO SLOW that
>it deters many people here from playing it.  Redrawing the map
>takes at least a minute (on a VAX 750 with a load average < 1).
>Is is just us or does everyone have this problem?

Here I timed redrawing a full screen to 14 sec on a 1200Bd terminal
and to 55 sec on a 300Bd terminal so that it is not Hack but the
baudrate that determines the speed. Of course if your terminal has
no cm or no ce then things are much slower.
No, the new version is not faster - the I/O is unchanged, and the
program is much bigger, so that it will probably somewhat slower
on most machines.