[net.games.hack] ARGH!

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (03/29/85)

replace	this line with your AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally made it down to the lower levels of the dungeon (I could even
smell the amulet).  I was "attacked" by	a lurker above who swallowed
me.  When I attempted to hit him (with my crysknife) I got the following
message:

			_
		       / \
		       |@| Segmentation	Fault (core dumped)
		       \_/

This was a major ARGH!	When I examined	the directory afterwards I noticed
no only	a core file but	a file with my name on it for each level I had
decended (ex: User.23).	 Is there a way	to recover a game from these files.
If not do they serve any useful	purpose, like bones files?  Thanks for
any help.
			-Pete-

/<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>\
^									   ^
v   Pete Bellas		    "When it is not necessary to make a decision,  v
^   Citicorp TTI	     it	is necessary to	not make a decision."      ^
v   Santa Monica, CA		    Lord Faukland			   v
^									   ^
v   Path: ...!{randvax | trwrb | philabs | vortex}!ttidca!ttidcb!bellas	   v
\<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>/

beecher@endot.UUCP (Larry Beecher) (04/08/85)

That same error has happened to me before. It seems to be a common bug.

The game uses the <user.**> files to record the status of each level when
a user enters and exits it. They can be used to your advantage to "cheat".

Typical Scenario:

	You want all of the magic and armor of a wizard and a knight but
you want the inherent qualities of a Speleoligist. Here is what you do:

1. start a game as a wizard. bring him down to level 2. Right before you
   leave the level , take off armor and drop everything. go to the next
   level.

2. Once on the 3rd level, use the shell escape key < ! >.

3. Start up a game as a knight and repeat the process.

4. Now, start up your game as a Speleoligist and when you get to level 2
   you should be able to find all of the "loot" left from the two previous
   characters.

You can also use these files to "cheat" in another way:

	If you are in the middle of a game and have a really bad level that
you don't want to have to deal with on the way back up; here is what you do:

1. Use the "Shell Escape" method.

2. Start up another game and proceed down to the "rotten" level. Quit!!
   This will erase all of the <user.**> files stored up to and including
   that level. Thus, getting rid of all of your problems. Also, on your
   way back up, new levels will be created , so you might find new shops
   on your way back upalong with new gems, etc.......

I wish I Could win without "cheating",

So Long and Thanx for all the fish,

Larry Beecher

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/10/85)

In article <119@endot.UUCP> beecher@endot.UUCP (Larry Beecher) writes:
>That same error has happened to me before. It seems to be a common bug.
>
>The game uses the <user.**> files to record the status of each level when
>a user enters and exits it. They can be used to your advantage to "cheat".

Larry's cheat method hadn't occurred to me but seems fairly serious.  I
think this can be easily corrected by including the PID in the level save
file names.

						-- Scott

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (04/15/85)

In article <4756@ucla-cs.ARPA> srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:

>Larry's cheat method hadn't occurred to me but seems fairly serious.  I
>think this can be easily corrected by including the PID in the level save
>file names.

That is indeed done in version 1.0.2.