[net.games.hack] On Crysknives and Fortunes

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (04/14/85)

Although not currently a Hack player, I recently took the time to catch
up on net.games.hack, including the hint files. Putting the fortune file
together with one person's experience with a crysknife, I think that I
may have found a meaning for a previously unspecified fortune.

One hack player complained that he was wielding a crysknife, then decided
to put it away and wield something else, only to find when he later
wielded it that he was now wielding merely a worm tooth. When I later
hit the file of observed fortunes, I found the line:

*You will offend Shai-Hulud if you sheath a crysknife unblooded.

Shai-Hulud is the Arrakeen (Dune) name for the deified sandworm; thus, it
is my guess that the fortune refers to wielding a crysknife and then
unwielding it without first using it against a monster. This "offends
Shai-Hulud", and the enchantment which makes a worm tooth into a crysknife
is withdrawn by Shai-Hulud. Any verification on this?

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (04/15/85)

> One hack player complained that he was wielding a crysknife, then decided
> to put it away and wield something else, only to find when he later
> wielded it that he was now wielding merely a worm tooth. When I later
> hit the file of observed fortunes, I found the line:
>
> *You will offend Shai-Hulud if you sheath a crysknife unblooded.
>
> Shai-Hulud is the Arrakeen (Dune) name for the deified sandworm; thus, it
> is my guess that the fortune refers to wielding a crysknife and then
> unwielding it without first using it against a monster. This "offends
> Shai-Hulud", and the enchantment which makes a worm tooth into a crysknife
> is withdrawn by Shai-Hulud. Any verification on this?

Sounds bogus to me. I do know that dropping or throwing a crysknife will
cause it to change back to a worm tooth. Beware of Tins of Salmon.
--
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH

"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (04/16/85)

In article <6225@ucbvax.ARPA> wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer)
writes:

>*You will offend Shai-Hulud if you sheath a crysknife unblooded.
>
>is my guess that the fortune refers to wielding a crysknife and then
>unwielding it without first using it against a monster. This "offends
>Shai-Hulud", and the enchantment which makes a worm tooth into a crysknife
>is withdrawn by Shai-Hulud. Any verification on this?
>
>                                        Bill Laubenheimer
>----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
>     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

Not exactly. Just tonite I was wielding 3 crysknives (yes I got'em from a
wand of wishing) when I found a tin.  It turned out to be salmon.
the crysknives slipped out of my hands, and when i picked them up they
were reverted to worm teeth. I have been slashing monsters left and right
before that.  SOOO...

took a peek into the source file ,and found that
(SPOILER COMING UP! DIVERT YOUR EYES WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TIME!) :-)

whenever crysknives are dropped they become worm teeth. You have to read
a scroll of enchant weapon to change them back into crysknives.
In the old version (1.0.1) throwing crysknives will not demote them,
but in the new version (1.0.2) it *will* turn them into teeth.
--
Henry Chai {watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utzoo!utflis!chai        o.-
Faculty of Library and Information Science                  \_/