[net.games.hack] Hack Differences

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (04/16/85)

Could someone post a list of things that aren't in the PDP-11 version of
hack? I finally got most of the site specific details out of my copy,
(things like Xenix's C compiler can't initialize fields in a structure
 at compile time. Does wonderful things to your inventory)
My situation is this :
When hack starts you are always just you, not a spieliolgist (sp?!) or a
caveman, or a tourist etc, your dog is always a small dog which you
cannot seem to name. The various printf statements like %U were changed
to %lu to get the proper effect. Saveing the game doesn't seem to work,
it says Cannot Save (Quit or Continue). It recognizes no switches other
then -w (wizard mode) and doesn't allow eating monsters when they die.
All in all it doesn't seem to do 90% of the things that make it different
from rogue. It also seems to work fine on my visual 200 terminal but can't
seem to properly use the Vt52 termcap entry, although vi has no problem
with it. Can anyone shed some light on these problems?

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (04/20/85)

In article <556@intelca.UUCP> cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>... about the PDP-11 version of hack ...
>All in all it doesn't seem to do 90% of the things that make it different
>from rogue.

The PDP-11 version of hack is a slightly improved (by people at the VU,
Amsterdam) version of some code that was stolen from my directory
some three years ago; it was being worked on, and certainly not in a
shape fit for distribution. Thus, as you noted, it doesnt have half
of the features present in hack, and, what is worse, it is very buggy.
I am sorry it was distributed.