[net.games.hack] Help with Hack 1.0.2 Installation

gs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gordon Strong) (04/18/85)

I need some help in installing the new hack.  I thought I set it
all up as indicated in the 10th installment and the READ_ME file.
I have set up the proper directories and have the game run setuid
and have the shell script in /usr/games.  When I run the game,
it prints:
		safelock: no such file or directory
		<clear screen>
		Cannot link safelock. (Try again or rm safelock)

Is it obvious from this what the problem is?  I tried creating
am empty safelock file, but that apparently isn't what it wanted.
Can someone (Andries?) offer some advice?

Thanks,

Gordon Strong
{decvax!genrad, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gs
GS@MIT-XX

rich@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) (04/19/85)

> I need some help in installing the new hack.  I thought I set it
> all up as indicated in the 10th installment and the READ_ME file.
> I have set up the proper directories and have the game run setuid
> and have the shell script in /usr/games.  When I run the game,
> it prints:
> 		safelock: no such file or directory
> 		<clear screen>
> 		Cannot link safelock. (Try again or rm safelock)
>
> Is it obvious from this what the problem is?  I tried creating
> am empty safelock file, but that apparently isn't what it wanted.
> Can someone (Andries?) offer some advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon Strong
> {decvax!genrad, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gs
> GS@MIT-XX

(no)

Hack is trying to create a link between a file called 'perm'
and a file called 'safelock' The key is (or at least it
has worked for me) is to make an empty file called 'perm'
in the hack directory, and to make sure that safelock
does not exist there.
   happy hacking everyone, and try being an S, its fun now.

   -rich

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (04/19/85)

In article <4056@mit-eddie.UUCP> gs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gordon Strong) writes:
> When I run the game, it prints:
>		safelock: no such file or directory
>		<clear screen>
>		Cannot link safelock. (Try again or rm safelock)
>
>Can someone (Andries?) offer some advice?

Did you create an empty file called "perm" in your hack directory?

ray@utcsri.UUCP (Raymond Allen) (04/19/85)

> I need some help in installing the new hack.  I thought I set it
> all up as indicated in the 10th installment and the READ_ME file.
> I have set up the proper directories and have the game run setuid
> and have the shell script in /usr/games.  When I run the game,
> it prints:
> 		safelock: no such file or directory
> 		<clear screen>
> 		Cannot link safelock. (Try again or rm safelock)

	You need to install an empty file called "perm" in your
hack directory to fix this problem.  This is mentioned in the
READ_ME file that comes with the source but I overlooked it myself
at first.

				The Mad Hacker
				Ray Allen
				utcsri!ray

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (04/20/85)

> I need some help in installing the new hack.  I thought I set it
> all up as indicated in the 10th installment and the READ_ME file.
> I have set up the proper directories and have the game run setuid
> and have the shell script in /usr/games.  When I run the game,
> it prints:
> 		safelock: no such file or directory
> 		<clear screen>
> 		Cannot link safelock. (Try again or rm safelock)
>
> Is it obvious from this what the problem is?  I tried creating
> am empty safelock file, but that apparently isn't what it wanted.
> Can someone (Andries?) offer some advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon Strong
> {decvax!genrad, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gs
> GS@MIT-XX

You need a null file called "perm" in the directory that the script
puts the player in.  Just go to that directory and type

>perm

or on some systems

cat /dev/null >perm

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

stanly@unmvax.UUCP (04/20/85)

> I need some help in installing the new hack.  I thought I set it
> all up as indicated in the 10th installment and the READ_ME file.
> I have set up the proper directories and have the game run setuid
> and have the shell script in /usr/games.  When I run the game,
> it prints:
> 		safelock: no such file or directory
> 		<clear screen>
> 		Cannot link safelock. (Try again or rm safelock)
>
> Is it obvious from this what the problem is?  I tried creating
> am empty safelock file, but that apparently isn't what it wanted.
> Can someone (Andries?) offer some advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon Strong

I got the same error when I also created a copy of hack 1.0.2
 My responce was to wipe out the routine that this checker is
 in.  Leave the routine but cut out all the insides.  If I remember
 correctly it is in hack.main.c

P.S.  If there is a better way of fixing this... Please let me know.
      thanks.

Send me mail . . . I   L O V E  mail

          Josh Siegel

 {convex,ucbvax,gatech,csu-cs,anl-mcs,lanl-a}!unmvax!unm-cvax!josh
--

   Stanly Steinberg
   University of New Mexico

uucp:
   {anl-mcs,convex,csu-cs,gatech,lanl,ogcvax,pur-ee,ucbvax}!unmvax!stanly
ARPA:
   unmvax!stanly@lanl.arpa