[net.games.hack] XP an gold.

notis@ttds.UUCP (Petter Notstrand) (04/20/85)

<Are you, or have you ever been a member of the Line Eater Fraternity?>

Hi there.

	I'm a little disturbed by the fact that you don't get your
	XP's or your gold pieces shown on the screen on version
	1.0.2. I saw something about obscuring maxHP and Strength
	by using adjectives instead of numbers.
	Please, don't!
	I mean, how can you play efficiently if you dont know important
	facts about YOUR OWN CHARACTER? I think the average adventurer
	would know these facts and be able to use them. Why shouldn't
	the average Hack player get the same chance?
	For monsters it's a different matter; it's part of the fun
	to find out just how tough they are.

	Does anybody agree with me on this?
	/NPN

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (04/22/85)

Petter Notstrand (from Stockholm) writes:
> 	I'm a little disturbed by the fact that you don't get your
> 	XP's or your gold pieces shown on the screen on version
> 	1.0.2. I saw something about obscuring maxHP and Strength
> 	by using adjectives instead of numbers.
> 	Please, don't!
>
> 	Does anybody agree with me on this?
> 	/NPN

I agree with him!  Definitely!  I mean, would you play D&D if the DM only
told you things like "The gargoyle hit you...you feel bad.  No, wait, you
feel EXTREMELY bad."  It's really important to know when, for instance, you
are in such bad shape that your 14th level caveman might possibly be taken
out by one lucky blow from a kobold.  Or when you can say to yourself, "Well,
the dragon does a max 88 hp of damage with his breath, and I have 276 left...
I think it's time to kill!"

Please at least leave the strength and hp the way they are.  (I lost all
but parts 5 and 6 of the Hack 1.0.2 posting, so I haven't seen the new
style, but I think that I'd still prefer the old style.)

Name:		G. T. Samson
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (04/22/85)

> <Are you, or have you ever been a member of the Line Eater Fraternity?>
>
> Hi there.
>
> 	I'm a little disturbed by the fact that you don't get your
> 	XP's or your gold pieces shown on the screen on version
> 	1.0.2. I saw something about obscuring maxHP and Strength
> 	by using adjectives instead of numbers.
> 	Please, don't!

> 	Does anybody agree with me on this?
> 	/NPN

I agree.  At least supply a command (perhaps a new option to the
i(nventory) command) which displays this information.  Sometimes
knowing how close you are to the next experience level can
affect strategy.  Perhaps this is a "feature" -- not
being familiar with D&D I don't know if characters normally know that
"killing one more monster will raise me a level" or not.

The $ (count gold) command is next to useless).
You seldom get an accurate count, it takes time, and sometimes
you get no answer at all!  I always drop my gold and pick it up
again; I get a quick and accurate count that way.  I would either
fix the $ command (think of it as referring to a little book
which the hacker always keeps up-to-date) or implement a new 'i'
option and discard the '$' command.

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

albert@harvard.ARPA (David Albert) (04/23/85)

> I agree.  At least supply a command (perhaps a new option to the
> i(nventory) command) which displays this information.  Sometimes
> knowing how close you are to the next experience level can
> affect strategy...
> again; I get a quick and accurate count that way.  I would either
> fix the $ command (think of it as referring to a little book
> which the hacker always keeps up-to-date) or implement a new 'i'
> option and discard the '$' command...

Defining the symbols GOLD_ON_BOTL and EXP_ON_BOTL in the
routing hack.pri.c at compile time will put both of these
back on the bottom line.
--

David Albert
ihnp4!seismo!harvard!albert (albert@harvard.ARPA)

fritzz@sdcc3.UUCP (fritzz) (04/24/85)

In article <895@ttds.UUCP> notis@ttds.UUCP (Petter Notstrand) writes:
>	I mean, how can you play efficiently if you dont know important
>	facts about YOUR OWN CHARACTER? I think the average adventurer
>	would know these facts and be able to use them. Why shouldn't
>	the average Hack player get the same chance?
>	For monsters it's a different matter; it's part of the fun
>	to find out just how tough they are.
>
>	Does anybody agree with me on this?
no.
It is still possible to check your gold... you just have to look in your
purse first. (try I$)
as for experience levels... would you really know how many experience
points each monster is worth, 9, or exactly how far you are from going
up another level? nah.... It may be a nice idea to give an idea of how
far you are through the current Ex. level, perhaps indicated by one
decimal value. As for hit points... I think it would be a good idea to
replace them with adjectives, even though it would make the game much
more difficult. It would also keep you from pressing your luck, which
makes sense. After all would you go after a monster when you were 2
pints low on blood? I wouldn't. An adventurer would know them about as
well as you would from reading the comments.

Speaking of which... what _would_ be a good way of doing hit points?
I think a logarithmic scale would be nice... losing hit points becomes
more critical as you get fewer of them. Adverbs could also be used to
modify the adjectives to give a wider range... mildly injured-- severely
hurt -- about to die. could be nice if you get a "--more--" message
along with the "about to die" to keep you from getting carried away.
This idea deserves some merit. Anybody else think anything of it?

--
ihnp4--\        You may ask yourself:			 fritzz the Zebra
decvax--\	Am I right... or am I wrong

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (04/25/85)

> Speaking of which... what _would_ be a good way of doing hit points?
> I think a logarithmic scale would be nice... losing hit points becomes
> more critical as you get fewer of them. Adverbs could also be used to
> modify the adjectives to give a wider range... mildly injured-- severely
> hurt -- about to die. could be nice if you get a "--more--" message
> along with the "about to die" to keep you from getting carried away.
> This idea deserves some merit. Anybody else think anything of it?
>
> ihnp4--\        You may ask yourself:			 fritzz the Zebra
> ucbvax-------- sdcsvax -- sdcc3 -- fritzz

Oh yes!  That "--more--" message would be a great help.  It would fix
two bugs that existed in Hack 1.0.1.  Once, in the maze, I typed "H"
thinking I'd wander off to the end of a corridor.  A dragon flamed me
about 10 times, killing me.  Sure would have been nice if my character
had been "woken up" as it would of been had I encountered a monster.
Another time, while blind, I engraved Elbereth while standing near
the doorway of a shop.  There was a monster in the doorway (a dog)
and I had teleported the shopkeeper a little ways away.  I figured the
dog would stay in the doorway while I typed "40s" to get my hitpoints
back up.  But no, the dog moved, the shopkeeper came in and pounded
on my head about 5 times.  Sure would have been nice if my character
had been "woken up".

Oh well, no doubt these bugs have already been fixed.

--
     You may say to yourself:
     This is not my beautiful house.

chuck_simmons%d1@dartvax

euren@ttds.UUCP (Leif Euren) (04/30/85)

In <2798@sdcc3.UUCP> fritzz:
>In <895@ttds.UUCP> notis (Petter Notstrand):
>>	I mean, how can you play efficiently if you dont know important
>>	facts about YOUR OWN CHARACTER? I think the average adventurer
>>	would know these facts and be able to use them.

>as for experience levels... would you really know how many experience
>points each monster is worth, 9, or exactly how far you are from going
>up another level? nah....

(. I absolutely agree. And I also find it most unrealistic that an
unexperienced adventurer can recognize monsters correctly. I suggest that
they'll be as unknown as wands, rings and scrolls. For the more fun. .)

>					    Adverbs could also be used to
>modify the adjectives to give a wider range... mildly injured-- severely
>hurt -- about to die.

(. To add realism the bloodloss should make one confused, thus delivering
the wrong message .)

(. I have a severe bug to report in  hack  1.0.2  too. I actually managed to
haul the Amulet up from the 35:th level. Any one in Netland have a fix to
this bug? .)

	Real Life:	Leif Euren (programmer)
	Fantasy	:	Herven (Fighter), Siegfried (Assassin)
	Usenet	:	enea!ttds!euren