[net.games.hack] What is Quest ??!!

doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) (05/03/85)

Greetings!

	After playing around with the sources to Hack 1.0.2, I noticed
a reference in the 'READ_ME' file to a game called Quest. This game is
supposed to be similar to Hack but with out the rectangular shaped rooms.
Well, after changing the makefile to include a -DQUEST (so that Quest
would be compiled rather than Hack) and moving around a few lines  of code
I was able to compile 'Quest'. The only problem is that the rooms in Quest
still have a rectangular form. Granted, the rooms are drawn a little
differently, but a rectangle is still a rectangle and not a 'Cave' as
advertised in 'READ_ME'. Does anyone know anything about Quest? Is the
Quest that is incorporated into Hack complete? etc ...

		Harry Reed
		sdcrdcf!doon

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (05/05/85)

In article <1943@sdcrdcf.UUCP> doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) writes:
>Well, after changing the makefile to include a -DQUEST (so that Quest
>would be compiled rather than Hack) and moving around a few lines  of code
>I was able to compile 'Quest'. The only problem is that the rooms in Quest
>still have a rectangular form.

(As I have said at least twice in this newsgroup before, and wrote to a
few dozen people:)
	YOU DON'T HAVE QUEST.
Compiling Hack with -DQUEST deletes the shopkeeper and vault code and
generally makes the game somewhat slower, but doesn't change significant
characteristics. Hack and Quest share a lot of code, but the main part
of Quest has not yet been distributed. It will be, eventually.