[net.games.hack] Writings on the Floor, Swamps, and Jelly

scott@gcc-bill.ARPA (scott a douglass) (05/08/85)

  I like the new hack, version 1.0.2, but i have a couple of questions.
How come sometimes it says "ad ae?ar um" on the floor?  I know I didn't
write it, and i don't think it's always on a ghost level.  Any clues?

  My other problem is I finally had a really burly character on level
20, and the first step into a swamp, he gets killed by a bunch of
ugly eels.  What do you do in a swamp?  Also, what good is Royal
Jelly besides being yummy?

  -- margaret
	c/o ...!{seismo,godot}!harvard!gcc-bill!scott

lautzy@nmtvax.UUCP (05/10/85)

In article <> scott@gcc-bill.UUCP (scott a douglass) writes:

>  I like the new hack, version 1.0.2, but i have a couple of questions.
>How come sometimes it says "ad ae?ar um" on the floor?  I know I didn't
>write it, and i don't think it's always on a ghost level.  Any clues?

   Yar.  I asked the same question and someone (who?) said to search.  I tried
   and a door opened up.  I moved in there, searched some more and found
   myself in the treasure vault on that level!

>  My other problem is I finally had a really burly character on level
>20, and the first step into a swamp, he gets killed by a bunch of
>ugly eels.  What do you do in a swamp?

   I don't exactly know.  I've never been killed by the eels, but both times
   I've been to a swamp I've drowned. <snif>  It seems that the characters
   (at least cave-women and wizards) cannot swim.  Maybe one of the other
   characters can???

>Also, what good is Royal Jelly besides being yummy?

   It doesn't even seem to be particularly good for you...

>  -- margaret
>	c/o ...!{seismo,godot}!harvard!gcc-bill!scott

Now for a question of my own:  What is the difference between playing female
and male?  I've tried both and can't find any difference except that it says
"...choked on her food..." instead of "...his food..."
--
                                -Lautzy (Romulan)
                              ...unmvax!nmtvax!guads

kwan@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Eric Kwan) (05/11/85)

	The writing "ad ae?ar um" is a hint that there is a gold vault in
that level and if you search the wall while standing on it, you should find a
secret door, step in and search again for a teleport trap which will teleport
youto the vault.

	As a tourist one time, I found eating royal jelly increased my
strength and healed me immediately (I got all my hit points back which is
about 76.)

							Eric Kwan.

lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) (05/13/85)

In article <256@gcc-bill.ARPA> scott@gcc-bill.UUCP (scott a douglass) writes:

>  I like the new hack, version 1.0.2, but i have a couple of questions.
>How come sometimes it says "ad ae?ar um" on the floor?  I know I didn't
>write it, and i don't think it's always on a ghost level.  Any clues?
>
>  My other problem is I finally had a really burly character on level
>20, and the first step into a swamp, he gets killed by a bunch of
>ugly eels.  What do you do in a swamp?  Also, what good is Royal
>Jelly besides being yummy?
>
>  -- margaret
>	c/o ...!{seismo,godot}!harvard!gcc-bill!scott

I think "ad ae?ar um" means that there is a leprechaun's treasure room somewhere
on that level - one of those hidden rooms with 4 squares.  In the swamp, you need
to be levitated (by a potion or ring of levitatation) to not drown.  Royal jelly
slowly increases your strength up to a certain level.

- John

ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) (05/13/85)

> >Also, what good is Royal Jelly besides being yummy?
>
>    It doesn't even seem to be particularly good for you...
But it is!!!!  Its like a super multi-vitamin.  It can bring back your
hitpoints somewhat, and possibly increase your strength.

> >  -- margaret
> >	c/o ...!{seismo,godot}!harvard!gcc-bill!scott
>
> Now for a question of my own:  What is the difference between playing female
> and male?  I've tried both and can't find any difference except that it says
> "...choked on her food..." instead of "...his food..."
> --
  yep, that's what it does.  I suppose it is to keep people from calling
  hack sexist.

  Darin Johnson

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (05/15/85)

> In article <> scott@gcc-bill.UUCP (scott a douglass) writes:
> >ugly eels.  What do you do in a swamp?
>
>    I don't exactly know.  I've never been killed by the eels, but both times
>    I've been to a swamp I've drowned. <snif>  It seems that the characters
>    (at least cave-women and wizards) cannot swim.  Maybe one of the other
>    characters can???

That's funny - the couple of times I reached a level with swamps, I've never
been seriously injured. A swamp looks something like this:
			--+------
			|}.}.}.}|
			|.}.}.}.|
			|}.}.}.}|
			------+--
It is therefore possible to avoid stepping on the water-filled areas, and
reach the exit by stepping on dry land. As you walk by the water-filled areas,
the eels will start striking at you - ignore them, you should have enough hit
points by now, to survive the blows. If you decide to stay and fight, it is
possible that the eel may hold you, and not release you until either you (or
it) are dead.
Reading a scroll of light or zapping a wand of light helps, in as much as you
don't go searching blindly for the exit, thus sustaining less hits.

--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)