[net.games.hack] 1.0.2 bug ---- SPOILER

ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) (05/15/85)

ok, a new bug (feature) for those of you tired of low scores.  This only
works for those who can use wizard (debug) mode.  Ok, enter the game in
wizard mode and your favorite class.  Save the game.  The go to the save
directory and 'mv' the file to the same name as if you had saved
normally.  Then do hack normally.  It will see the save file, restore it
as a normal player, and presto!  You have a wand of wishing with 20
charges.  Those of you without wizard mode,... oh well.

Anyway, I know it is an easy fix, but was this just left out, or
intentional??

Darin Johnson

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (05/16/85)

> ok, a new bug (feature) for those of you tired of low scores.  This only
> works for those who can use wizard (debug) mode.  Ok, enter the game in
> wizard mode and your favorite class.  Save the game.  The go to the save
> directory and 'mv' the file to the same name as if you had saved
> normally.  Then do hack normally.  It will see the save file, restore it
> as a normal player, and presto!  You have a wand of wishing with 20
> charges.  Those of you without wizard mode,... oh well.
>
> Anyway, I know it is an easy fix, but was this just left out, or
> intentional??
>
> Darin Johnson

If you can play wizard mode, then you have the source and can just take
out a few lines that check for wizard status on death. Much easier, but
totally unfair. Hope the people at your site don't catch you cheating
on 'em ...

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

fletcher@ut-sally.UUCP (Fletcher Mattox) (05/18/85)

In article <247@sdcc13.UUCP> ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) writes:
>ok, a new bug (feature) for those of you tired of low scores.  This only
>works for those who can use wizard (debug) mode.  Ok, enter the game in
>wizard mode and your favorite class.  Save the game.  The go to the save
>directory and 'mv' the file to the same name as if you had saved
>normally.

If you can play as wizard, you can probably edit the record file also.
Give yourself any score you want. Great fun, eh?

--

Fletcher Mattox, fletcher@ut-sally.ARPA, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!fletcher