[net.games.hack] Killing skopkeepers

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (05/18/85)

In article <21200004@prism.UUCP> mer@prism.UUCP writes:

>I heard that killing shopkeepers gives you bad luck/karma.  Not true?
>meredith
>{cca, wjh12, mit-eddie} !mirror!prism!mer

True.  It decreases your luck points by two and
TAKES AWAY TELEPORTATION ABILITIES!
Killing tamed or peaceful monsters takes away 1 luck point,
and killing a unicorn (definitely a no-no!) takes away another 5 luck points.
When your luck points are low, you fight less effectively and you would
be more likely to get nothing when you zap a wand of wishing.
("Unfortunately, nothing happens.")
--
"Some say that knowledge is something that you'll never have"
				    - "Sat in your Lap" Kate Bush

ron@uthub.UUCP (Ron Wessels) (05/19/85)

> From: chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai)
>
> True.  It decreases your luck points by two and
> TAKES AWAY TELEPORTATION ABILITIES!

Not quite.  It takes away telepathic abilities, not teleportation
abilities.  Telepathy is when you get to see all the monsters on the
level when you are blind.

While I'm talking about it, there's a bug in that code, too.  If you
do anything that overlays the screen (like reading a scroll of gold
detection or taking inventory), only monsters that have moved are
redrawn.  I have sent my analysis and suggested fix to aeb@mcvax with
the request that a correct fix be posted.  Stay tuned, folks.
--
Ron Wessels	Computer Systems Research Institute	University of Toronto
UUCP:	{decvax,floyd,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!ron