[net.games.hack] Engraved messages

boyce@daemen.UUCP (Buck Wheat) (05/02/85)

--- REPLACE THIS ENGRAVED MESSAGE WITH YOUR BANK ---

     If you come across something engraved in the floor right next to
the wall start searching directly next to it.  With luck you find your way
to a bank (no joke).  The corridor closes right after that so make sure you
have a pick-axe or a wand of digging else you'll be escorted out penniless
by the guard or killed if you anger him.
     Also when the guard comes there are two names that will make him leave
you alone (so you can go about digging out).
     This applies to hack 1.0.2, if you don't got it yet get it.

--
Doug Boyce
UUCP : {decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax}!sunybcs!daemen!boyce

   What's ......  Fi Fi Fo-Fe Fo Fi Fo?

	Buck Wheats phone number.

nawaf@ut-sally.UUCP (Nawaf Bitar) (05/11/85)

> Doug Boyce writes that there are two names that will satisfy the guard
> of the bank vault  -  so how about spilling the beans !
>
> - David Caldwell,  Canterbury,  England.
>
> "I'm just going to have a quick game of hack...."

The names are:
         1) Croesus
         2) Kroisos

Happy Hacking.
--

                    Nawaf "duck" Bitar

                        _
                      /o \         ''
                    ==    \_______//
                       \   >>>>   /
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   ARPA: nawaf@ut-sally.ARPA      USENET: {ihnp4,ctvax,seismo}!ut-sally!nawaf

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (05/12/85)

> Doug Boyce writes that there are two names that will satisfy the guard
> of the bank vault  -  so how about spilling the beans !
>
> - David Caldwell,  Canterbury,  England.
>
> "I'm just going to have a quick game of hack...."

 The two names that the guard will accept are "Croesus" and "Kroisos"
 I got these from the source code.  I don't know the significance of
 the names.

 Kevin Chu
 ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020
 ucdavis!vega!ccs020@Berkeley.ARPA

/ex

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (05/17/85)

In article <5126@ukc.UUCP> dac1@ukc.UUCP ( David Caldwell ) writes:

>Doug Boyce writes that there are two names that will satisfy the guard
>of the bank vault  -  so how about spilling the beans !
>
>- David Caldwell,  Canterbury,  England.

The names have already appeared on the net.  They are Croesus and Kroisos.
I have checked out the former.  However, I do not see what good they do.
If I give the guard a random name, or my own, he tells me that he does not
know me and to drop the gold and follow him out.  If I then ignore him, he
goes away, leaving me locked in the vault.  If I say "Croesus" he says:
"Sorry to disturb you," and goes away, leaving me locked in the vault.  The
only way I know to rip off the vault is to teleport out.  Personally, I
love to eat dead leprechauns.
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

dac1@ukc.UUCP (D.Caldwell) (05/17/85)

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (05/18/85)

In article <1890@ut-sally.UUCP> nawaf@ut-sally.UUCP (Nawaf Bitar) writes:

>...The names are:
>         1) Croesus
>         2) Kroisos

These will make the guard go away, but he won't dig a convenient passage out
of the room for you.

--
-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
-  Department of Mathematics		ARPA:	ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (05/19/85)

> In article <1890@ut-sally.UUCP> nawaf@ut-sally.UUCP (Nawaf Bitar) writes:
> >...The names are: [...]
>
> These will make the guard go away, but he won't dig a convenient passage out
> of the room for you.
> -  Sean Casey
> -			"We're all bozos on this bus."

You know, if you have a fairly strong character and a lot of items to
throw, instead of bothering with the magic word, you might just stand
back and pelt the guard with rocks and darts.  The guard won't enter
the vault to fight back.

-- Chuck Simmons

kimv@dartvax.UUCP (Kim 'Ro' Vasel) (05/21/85)

> In article <1890@ut-sally.UUCP> nawaf@ut-sally.UUCP (Nawaf Bitar) writes:
>
> >...The names are:
> >         1) Croesus
> >         2) Kroisos
>
> These will make the guard go away, but he won't dig a convenient passage out
> of the room for you.

I tried this the other night, and it didnt work.  Do i understand
correctly that you are supposed to reply with one of these words
when the guard asks you something about who you are when he first
enters the room?  I replied with "Croesus", but he didnt seem to notice.
I dont remember just what he said, but he didnt go away anyway...
Any ideas why this happened?