[net.games.hack] Ball and chain

sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) (05/20/85)

Hmm...I read a scroll and it told me I was being punished for my past
misbehavior...then lo and behold I have a ball and chain attatched
to my foot.  It's really a pain in that it prevents you from running
(unless you carry the ball), and it greatly limits your carrying
capacity.  Plus, when you run down a flight of stairs the darn thing
bashes you on the head and nearly knocks you out.  Does anybody know
how to get rid of it?

kcm@cybvax0.UUCP (Keith C. MacKinnon) (05/20/85)

> Hmm...I read a scroll and it told me I was being punished for my past
> misbehavior...then lo and behold I have a ball and chain attatched
> to my foot.  It's really a pain in that it prevents you from running
> (unless you carry the ball), and it greatly limits your carrying
> capacity.  Plus, when you run down a flight of stairs the darn thing
> bashes you on the head and nearly knocks you out.  Does anybody know
> how to get rid of it?

   I have run into this scroll many times and the only way I know to
get rid of it is a scroll of remove curse.  I have been fooling around
with it when I get cursed. First I weild it and does pretty good as
a weapon even thou it is heavy. Second you can trow it and I have done
this a few times and usaully after you trow it one hit after the monster
is dead. But remember when you throw it you go with it. If you carry it
you can run but going up and down staircases is a pain, I haven't found
out a way for it not to land on top of me after I fall down the cases.
   The last one is when you enter a store, this only worked once for me,
and that is to collect all you can and advance two steps from the doorway
so that the storekeeper does not stand in your way and then throw the ball
toward the door, hopefully the ball speed will bet the storekeeper before
he moves in front of the store. You will lose a few HP. doing this but
sometimes it is worth it. I haven't found a way to cut it off but it could
be done. Also DO NOT DROP IT IN A STORE , the ones that are considered the
antique stores. When you drop it the storekeeper things that you sold it
and pays you but when you try to leave he will not let you go until you
pay for it. I have also come across it in a pile from my own ghost when
I was killed in another game and was let behind with the other items but
it was not cursed when picked up, thus I used it later as a weapon.

kcm
Keith C MacKinnon

tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) (05/21/85)

To remove the ball and chain, simply read a scroll of remove curse.  By the
way, the ball, once removed, makes for a great throwing weapon.  Another
useful thing is that you can get out of tight spots while punished, simply
throw the ball where you want to go, i.e. out of a store after cleaning
house.  A word of warning, don't do this to get out of a bear trap (a pit
trap is ok), it will make travelling difficult.

Don't kill the killer bees!  They make for good eating (only one per
customer, thank you)

						_emt

hmm@unido.UUCP (05/21/85)

Read a scroll of remove curse, and the chain will vanish.
BTW, the ball can do a lot of damage when wielded or thrown.

	Hans-Martin Mosner
	Universitaet Dortmund (Germany)
	ihnp4!hpfcla!hpbbn!unido!hmm
	      seismo!mcvax!unido!hmm

srd@peora.UUCP (Steve Davies) (05/22/85)

Why get rid of it?  It makes a great weapon.
--
Steve Davies {decvax!ucf-cs, ihnp4!pesnta, vax135!petsd}!peora!srd
Perkin-Elmer SDC/2486 Sand Lake Road/Orlando, Fl. 32809/   (305)850-1033

mike@genat.UUCP (Mike Stephenson) (05/22/85)

> Hmm...I read a scroll and it told me I was being punished for my past
> misbehavior...then lo and behold I have a ball and chain attatched
> to my foot.  It's really a pain in that it prevents you from running
> (unless you carry the ball), and it greatly limits your carrying
> capacity.  Plus, when you run down a flight of stairs the darn thing
> bashes you on the head and nearly knocks you out.  Does anybody know
> how to get rid of it?

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FAVORITE MONSTER ***

Well, a good dose of remove curse always works for me, this removes the
chain from your leg, leaving the ball and chain free to do with as you
please.

						Mike.

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (05/22/85)

> Hmm...I read a scroll and it told me I was being punished for my past
> misbehavior...then lo and behold I have a ball and chain attatched
> to my foot.  It's really a pain in that it prevents you from running
> (unless you carry the ball), and it greatly limits your carrying
> capacity.  Plus, when you run down a flight of stairs the darn thing
> bashes you on the head and nearly knocks you out.  Does anybody know
> how to get rid of it?

Read a scroll of remove curse.
--
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH

"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

kimv@dartvax.UUCP (Kim 'Ro' Vasel) (05/23/85)

> Hmm...I read a scroll and it told me I was being punished for my past
> misbehavior...then lo and behold I have a ball and chain attatched
> to my foot.  It's really a pain in that it prevents you from running
> (unless you carry the ball), and it greatly limits your carrying
> capacity.  Plus, when you run down a flight of stairs the darn thing
> bashes you on the head and nearly knocks you out.  Does anybody know
> how to get rid of it?

A scroll of remove curse will do it.
--
From joeh Mon May 20 21:47:31 1985
Date: Mon, 20 May 85 21:47:27 edt
From: joeh (Joe Hill )
To: kimv
Subject: .signature

Joe Hill

            USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!joeh
            ARPA:	joeh%dartmouth@csnet-relay
	    CSNET:	joeh@dartmouth

sjr@warwick.UUCP (Stephen J. Rumsby) (05/23/85)

Why would you want to get rid of a ball and chain - pick up the ball and wield
it, it makes a wonderful weapon. Seriously though, reading a scroll of remove
curse will let you take the ball off.

					Steve.

ccs019@ucdavis.UUCP (Allan McKillop) (05/23/85)

> Don't kill the killer bees!  They make for good eating (only one per
> customer, thank you)
>
> 						_emt

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR SCORE ***

But a scorpion can be used for exactly the same thing, and they are
much less dangerous as they don't travel in hives...

--

Allan McKillop
(...ucbvax!ucdavis!minnie!ccs019)

" Where there's a will, there's a relative..."

noemi@rochester.UUCP (Noemi Berry) (05/23/85)

> Hmm...I read a scroll and it told me I was being punished for my past
> misbehavior...then lo and behold I have a ball and chain attatched
> to my foot.  It's really a pain in that it prevents you from running
> (unless you carry the ball), and it greatly limits your carrying
> capacity.  Plus, when you run down a flight of stairs the darn thing
> bashes you on the head and nearly knocks you out.  Does anybody know
> how to get rid of it?

	One way is the old remove-curse scroll.  Another way if you
really want to get rid of it is to find a nymph, drop EVERYTHING you
have and attack her.  All she has to steal is the ball!  I guess if
you really wanted it as a weapon you could hunt her down and get it
back, but at least you wouldn't be dragging the ball around anymore.
You still have the chain, though.  Nymphs are good for getting rid
of cursed rings, too.

	Is it true that poison resistance helps with food-burning
rings?

						noemi
--
UUCP: ...!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!noemi
ARPA: noemi@rochester.arpa