[net.games.hack] favorite genocidee's

killmond@dartvax.UUCP (James Killmond) (05/20/85)

   My favorite candidates for genocide are, in order:

        1. Cockatrices (c) - there is nothing like stepping inside
                             a room and getting the message, "The
                             cockatrice hits --More--" "You turn to
                             stone --More--" "You die...", to end an
                             otherwise happy hack game.

        2. Xans (x) - being a packrat myself, nothing annoys me more
                      than a reduced ability to cart stuff around; you
                      never know when those 3 potions of blindness
                      might come in handy.  I'm campaigning for wheel-
                      barrows.

        3. Nymphs (N) - they can also me game-enders.  Especially if
                        one takes all your armor, weapons and wands, as
                        happened to me once. Also they don't seem to
                        carry things, as they do in rogue.  Most tragic
                        incidents with them, however, are due to care-
                        lessness.

You will notice that none of these monsters are the heavy hitters in terms
of damage or experience points.  This is because the game is neither chal-
lenging nor fun without them and because a good character will be able to
deal with them anyway, if it is going to have a chance of winning.

P.S. If you have extras, you might want to consider:

        4. Rust monsters (R) - flighty, obnoxious armor-hosers
        5. Acid blobs (a) - obstructions at best, weapon-destroyers at worst.
        6. Shopkeepers (@) - just joking.

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (05/21/85)

>    My favorite candidates for genocide are, in order:
>         1. Cockatrices (c) - [...]
>         2. Xans (x) - [...]
>         3. Nymphs (N) [...]
> [...]
> P.S. If you have extras, you might want to consider:
>         4. Rust monsters (R) - flighty, obnoxious armor-hosers
>         5. Acid blobs (a) - obstructions at best, weapon-destroyers at worst.

I think that if Killmond had placed Vampires a little higher on the list
and acid blobs a little lower, his local score would be a little higher.
Acid blobs are cute, sweet, lovable and bring you up a level every time you
kill one in those first few crucial moments of the game.  Genociding rust
monsters should only be considered if you have a helmet.

Keep in mind that Nymphs can be very useful for removing cursed items.

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (05/22/85)

>Acid blobs are cute, sweet, lovable and bring you up a level every time you
>kill one in those first few crucial moments of the game.  Genociding rust
>monsters should only be considered if you have a helmet.

I have bad news for you. Killing acid blobs (or any tame creature) is
bad luck.  As in uuluck--.

--
-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
-  Department of Mathematics		ARPA:	ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA

fletcher@im4u.UUCP (05/24/85)

In article <1790@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
>I have bad news for you. Killing acid blobs (or any tame creature) is
>bad luck.  As in uuluck--.

Nope. That's simply not true. u.uluck is unaffected when you kill
an acid blob. Perhaps they aren't considered tame.

--

Fletcher Mattox, fletcher@ut-sally.ARPA, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!fletcher