[net.games.hack] Genociding priorities

joel@decwrl.UUCP (Joel McCormack) (05/21/85)

xans are the biggest hassle of the game, as far as I'm concerned.  Speed
cures their bites, and it seems royal jelly does the same.

If I run across a scroll of genocide by reading a random scroll, I ALWAYS
wipe out xans, regardless of what level I'm on.  Cockatrices don't seem to be
that much of a problem - I have only been turned to stone fighting them once.
(Now, ripping off a ghost's backpack is another story...).

I recommend NOT wiping out dragons, nor killer bees.  I invariably have a
ring of fire resistance by the time I get to them, and if I don't, I'd like
to eat a dragon corpse.  If you kill off killer bees, how are you going to
get royal jelly?

Nymphs are annoying when your dog attacks them, but you can always chase them
down and get your stuff back.

In fact, after genociding xans, I save the scrolls to use in a pinch...it's
great to have a monter about to kill you as you genocide it and its siblings out
of existence.

WARNING: I ran into a xan in the first maze.  I don't know if the rules of
genocide don't apply to the mazes, or if it was a chameleon, but keep that
royal jelly and potions of speed around for just this case.

--
- Joel McCormack {ihnp4 decvax ucbvax allegra}!decwrl!joel
		 joel@decwrl.arpa

ccs019@ucdavis.UUCP (Allan McKillop) (05/22/85)

> Joel McCormack writes:
>
> I recommend NOT wiping out dragons, nor killer bees.  I invariably have a
> ring of fire resistance by the time I get to them, and if I don't, I'd like
> to eat a dragon corpse.  If you kill off killer bees, how are you going to
> get royal jelly?
>
> --
> - Joel McCormack {ihnp4 decvax ucbvax allegra}!decwrl!joel
> 		 joel@decwrl.arpa

I must assume that you have never genocided killer bees.  Are
you SURE that you can't get the royal jelly if you genocide the
killer bees off?  Try it sometime, you might be suprised...

As for what I like to genocide, I must sail with the prevailing wind: xans!
I find these the most annoying creatures in the game.
--

Allan McKillop
(...ucbvax!ucdavis!minnie!ccs019)

" Where there's a will, there's a relative..."

djl@gitpyr.UUCP (Dave Lane) (05/25/85)

the line-eater hits --more--
>  If you kill off killer bees, how are you going to
> get royal jelly?
>
> In fact, after genociding xans, I save the scrolls to use in a pinch...it's
> great to have a monter about to kill you as you genocide it and its siblings
> out of existence.

well, you sort of answered your own question there.  you wait until you find
a bee-hive and then genocide the killer bees. works like gangbusters -- unless
you run into a lot of them before you get a hive, but since you're carrying
a scroll of genocide around....

--
Dave Lane, User Assistant, Office of Computing Services,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia  30332

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp}!gatech!gitpyr!djl
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!djl

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (05/30/85)