[net.games.hack] Cockatrices *Spoiler*

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (06/03/85)

In article <422@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> kwan@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Eric Kwan) writes:
>"They" said that dead lizard helps killing corkatrices... Too bad, this is
>just a rumor!

NO NO NO NO!
Dead_lizards *do* help against cockatrices!
Here is a bit of translated code from the source:

   for a 1 in 5 chance:
	the cockatrice hisses;
	if ( ctmp > 0   OR
	     1 in 20 chance OR
	     (it's new_moon AND you don't have a dead_lizard)
	   )
        "You get turned to stone!" .....

(ctmp is a variable that depends on you armor class, chance, whether
the 'c' was 'cancelled' by a wand or not, and various other things.)

What this means is that if there's a new moon, the chance of being
petrified on first hiss is greatly decreased if you have a dead lizard.
Also it helps a bit if you 'cancel' the darn thing with a wand first.

I don't have too much of a problem with 'c's. I Engrave Elbereth and throw at it
everything I can, and more often than not it's killed before I run out of
ammo.  The most maddening experience I've had with this monstrous monster
is running along a corridor and bumping into one unknowingly, so whenever
I remember I use f(hjkl) instead of HJKL.

Happy Hacking!
--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto