[net.games.hack] I opened my crackerjacks box, but

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (05/24/85)

>          I have killed the minotaur, got his wand of digging, and moved
> the boulders with it, but it has run out of charges.  I have quaffed a
> potion of object detection and no amulet has shown up on the screen.  Is
> it hiding under the boulder so I can't see it or what?  If I go up the
> level and then descend once again, will I get a new minotaur (and a new
> wand of digging)?

If you're playing hack 1.0.2, you don't get off that easily!  The amulet
is somewhere below level 29!  And there's NO STAIRWAY.  And you can't
blast a hole through the floor of a labyrinth, either.

But you should be able to find a wand of wishing.  I'm not sure what to
wish for ... have you discovered a sure way of making a quick trip to
the cellar, no matter which level you're on?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) (05/28/85)

> >          I have killed the minotaur, got his wand of digging, and moved
> > the boulders with it, but it has run out of charges.  I have quaffed a
> > potion of object detection and no amulet has shown up on the screen.  Is
> > it hiding under the boulder so I can't see it or what?  If I go up the
> > level and then descend once again, will I get a new minotaur (and a new
> > wand of digging)?
>
> If you're playing hack 1.0.2, you don't get off that easily!  The amulet
> is somewhere below level 29!  And there's NO STAIRWAY.  And you can't
> blast a hole through the floor of a labyrinth, either.
>
> But you should be able to find a wand of wishing.  I'm not sure what to
> wish for ... have you discovered a sure way of making a quick trip to
> the cellar, no matter which level you're on?
> --
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

Try wishing for:
	(1) Ring of teleport control.
	(2) Potion of confusion.
	(3) Scroll of teleportation.
Hopefully you are fire resistant by now. Put on the ring, quaff the
potion, and then read the scroll of teleportation. You'll get:
	What level do you wish to teleport to?
A few other things to remember, you'll need a ring of levitation and
you had better be pretty studly as the amulet's guardian is quite
dangerous.

As to genociding priorities, killer bees go first. You'll still find
plenty of royal jelly and a dead scorpian body makes you just as
poison proof. Next go Xan's and then I'll begin to save them up for
a pinch.

Personally, the only horror story I've heard concerning cockatrices
concerns the guy who teleported on top of the one he had killed
earlier. That'll teach him to eat that poor Leppie.

					--Jim Gath
					..ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!ccrjimg

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (05/30/85)

In article <220@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) writes:
>Try wishing for:
>	(1) Ring of teleport control.
>	(2) Potion of confusion.
>	(3) Scroll of teleportation.
>Hopefully you are fire resistant by now. Put on the ring, quaff the
>potion, and then read the scroll of teleportation. You'll get:
>	What level do you wish to teleport to?
>A few other things to remember, you'll need a ring of levitation and
>you had better be pretty studly as the amulet's guardian is quite
>dangerous.

How about wishing for a pickaxe?  Will that dig through maze floors?  It
would leave you two more wishes :-).

--

-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
-  Department of Mathematics		ARPA:	ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA

bryan@galbp.UUCP (Bryan Ivey) (05/31/85)

In article <> ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) writes:
>Personally, the only horror story I've heard concerning cockatrices
>concerns the guy who teleported on top of the one he had killed
>earlier. That'll teach him to eat that poor Leppie.

The question is, do you know the value of cockatrices????

Bryan

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (05/31/85)

> In article <220@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) writes:
>
> How about wishing for a pickaxe?  Will that dig through maze floors?  It
> would leave you two more wishes :-).

	Nope - it doesn't work. The floor is to hard to dig even with a
	pick-axe.

--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (06/01/85)

> >Try wishing for:
> >	(1) Ring of teleport control.
> >	(2) Potion of confusion.
> >	(3) Scroll of teleportation.

> How about wishing for a pickaxe?  Will that dig through maze floors?  It
> would leave you two more wishes :-).

You can't dig through maze floors.  Not even with a wand of digging.  Also,
by the time you get down to a maze level, you've probably already found all
*five* of the items you need to get into hell.  (Don't forget that you need
fire resistance and levitation.)  But a pick-axe sure makes exploring a maze
a lot easier.

ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) (06/06/85)

> In article <> ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) writes:
> >Personally, the only horror story I've heard concerning cockatrices
> >concerns the guy who teleported on top of the one he had killed
> >earlier. That'll teach him to eat that poor Leppie.
>
> The question is, do you know the value of cockatrices????
>
> Bryan

Ah, but of course Bryan. I cleaned out a 5X6 morgue the other night
with one of the little lovelies thanks to the gloves of a less than
fortunate knight... I merely refered to the BAD things I've heard.
Personally, I've gotten stoned only three times, once during a new
moon and twice from walking on top of their bodies (STUPID!!!!).

By the way, a dead lizard prevents being turned to stone ONLY during
a new moon.

					Jim Gath
					..ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!ccrjimg

ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) (06/06/85)

> > In article <220@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrjimg@ucdavis.UUCP (Jim Gath) writes:
> >
> > How about wishing for a pickaxe?  Will that dig through maze floors?  It
> > would leave you two more wishes :-).
> >
> 	Nope - it doesn't work. The floor is to hard to dig even with a
> 	pick-axe.
>
> --
>
> 	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

Read your old news again, I didn't say that. Maybe your news got
garbled.

By the way, it is possible to use a pick-axe to unwield a cursed
weapon. I've fixed the engraving/cursed weapon bug but I don't
recall having seen one to fix this one. I assume it is trivial but
did I miss something?