[net.games.hack] Pick axes in shops

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/03/85)

In article <125@uw-june> louns@uw-june (Michael Lounsbery) writes:
>1) I really don't like the fact that a pickaxe can't dig into a shop wall.

But they can dig through the floor.  When you have a pickaxe and discover
a shop, clean out the level and then walk to the door of the shop.  Throw your
pickaxe in on the diagonal.  Go in, pick up your axe and whatever else you
want and then dig down to the next level.  I don't believe the shopkeeper
knows how to follow you when you do this.

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (06/07/85)

> In article <125@uw-june> louns@uw-june (Michael Lounsbery) writes:
> >1) I really don't like the fact that a pickaxe can't dig into a shop wall.

But in 1.0.2 they can!  You just have to be persistant.  Takes 6 or 7 wacks.

> But they can dig through the floor.  When you have a pickaxe and discover
> a shop, clean out the level and then walk to the door of the shop.  Throw your
> pickaxe in on the diagonal.  Go in, pick up your axe and whatever else you
> want and then dig down to the next level.  I don't believe the shopkeeper
> knows how to follow you when you do this.

I suggest the installation of the fix which makes shopkeepers get angry anytime
you are in their shop in the possession of a box or pickaxe.  Makes things
more lively.  If you teleport in accidently, better start digging!

jeff m

hmm@unido.UUCP (06/07/85)

I tried throwing the pick-axe into a shop.  Guess what ?
"Asidonhopo nimbly catches the pick-axe" ...
Maybe this does not happen all the time, but I won't try it again.
A better way is to drop the pick-axe at the door and wait for doggie
to take it in.  However, if you dig a hole, you will likely loose
your dog...

	Hans-Martin Mosner
	Universitaet Dortmund (Germany)
	ihnp4!hpfcla!hpbbn!unido!hmm
	      seismo!mcvax!unido!hmm

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (06/10/85)

> I suggest the installation of the fix which makes shopkeepers get angry
> anytime you are in their shop in the possession of a box or pickaxe.
> Makes things more lively.  If you teleport in accidently, better start
> digging!
>
> jeff m

How about, not when you carry in a box or pick axe but when you USE it.
You could have a message to the effect that
-The shopkeeper see's you destroying his shop-- more
-The shopkeeper gets very angry --

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my