[net.games.hack] Weird shop happening

omsi@reed.UUCP (OMSI) (06/04/85)

Just encountered a weird happening on level 2 of a game.  I came to the doorway
of a room with my dog right behind me, and got a message of Welcome to
(whomever's) antique shop.  All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares
above me and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then said
(whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.
	Anyone have any ideas about this???
	Thanx,  Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) (06/06/85)

>Just encountered a weird happening on level 2 of a game.  I came to the doorway
>of a room with my dog right behind me, and got a message of Welcome to
>(whomever's) antique shop.  All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares
>above me and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then said
>(whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.

I've had the same thing happen to me often.  Apparently in a previous game
you (with the same name) got the shopkeeper angry and even though the shopkeeper
pounded your previous incarnation, he doesn't forget anyone he doesn't like.

Don't know if this is a bug or feature!
					Owen Alexander microsys!oaa

mann@LaBrea.ARPA (06/06/85)

> All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares above me
> and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then said
> (whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.

Maybe the ghost zapped the shopkeeper with a wand of invisibility before
dying, and you ran into him by mistake?

	--Tim

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (06/06/85)

> Just encountered a weird happening on level 2 of a game.  I came to the doorway
> of a room with my dog right behind me, and got a message of Welcome to
> (whomever's) antique shop.  All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares
> above me and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then said
> (whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.
> 	Anyone have any ideas about this???
> 	Thanx,  Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

Sounds as if the ghost (before he died) zapped the shopkeeper with a wand
of invisibility.  He killed the player, creating the ghost, and was still
pissed when you walked in.

--Kevin Chu
..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

noemi@rochester.UUCP (Noemi Berry) (06/07/85)

>Just encountered a weird happening on level 2 of a game.  I came to the doorway
>of a room with my dog right behind me, and got a message of Welcome to
>(whomever's) antique shop.  All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares
>above me and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then said
>(whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.
>	Anyone have any ideas about this???
>	Thanx,  Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

	Someone probably tried out a wand of make invisible on the shopkeeper
and died in the shop.  Invisible shopkeepers are a real drag.

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (06/07/85)

> Just encountered a weird happening on level 2 of a game.  I came to the doorway
> of a room with my dog right behind me, and got a message of Welcome to
> (whomever's) antique shop.  All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares
> above me and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then said
> (whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.
> 	Anyone have any ideas about this???
> 	Thanx,  Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

The invisible shopkeeper hits -- more --

In article <745@houxl.UUCP> oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) writes:
>>Just encountered a weird happening on level 2 of a game.  I came to the doorway
>>of a room with my dog right behind me, and got a message of Welcome to
>>(whomever's) antique shop.  All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares
>>above me and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then said
>>(whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.
>
>I've had the same thing happen to me often.  Apparently in a previous game
>you (with the same name) got the shopkeeper angry and even though the shopkeeper
>pounded your previous incarnation, he doesn't forget anyone he doesn't like.
>
>Don't know if this is a bug or feature!
>					Owen Alexander microsys!oaa

	ActuAlly, you forgot the absence of a visible shopkeeper.
I figure that the "ghost" had used a Wand of Invisibility on the
shopkeeper before being pounded. If so then it may not even be memory,
an attempt to move through an invisible shopkeeper would be
interpreted as an attack, that is the guy attacked th keeper simply
by trying to enter the room.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/08/85)

>Just encountered a weird happening on level 2 of a game.  I came to the doorway
>of a room with my dog right behind me, and got a message of Welcome to
>(whomever's) antique shop.  All I saw in the room was another dog 2 squares
>above me and a ghost 2 squares diagonally from me (no shopkeeper).  It then
>said (whomever) gets angry, beats the tar out of me, and the game is over.
>	Anyone have any ideas about this???
>	Thanx,  Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

Sounds like something I once did. I walked into a shop and, through a series
of misadventures, zapped the shopkeeper with a wand of invisibility. You have
run into a ghost level where someone has done this. You probably tried to walk
into the apparently empty (but for the ghost and dog) shop but marched straight
into the invisible shopkeeper.
--
   Rick Gillespie
      ARPANET:	rick@ucla-locus.ARPA	or (soon) rick@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

kimcm@diku.UUCP (06/12/85)

In article <5921@ucla-cs.ARPA> rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (Richard Gillespie) writes:

>Sounds like something I once did. I walked into a shop and, through a series
>of misadventures, zapped the shopkeeper with a wand of invisibility. You have
>run into a ghost level where someone has done this. You probably tried to walk
>into the apparently empty (but for the ghost and dog) shop but marched straight
>into the invisible shopkeeper.

Oh, come on it's now clear to everybody what happened! If you want to avoid
future misadventures in what seems to be empty shops -- se if you get the
message "Welcome in <name> <type> shop" upon entering. If you do then the
shop isn't left unguarded.
--
Kim Chr. Madsen   Datalogisk Institut (Institute of Datalogy)
		  University of Copenhagen