[net.games.hack] Lack of food!

u555027396ea@ucdavis.UUCP (Farin Reborn) (06/14/85)

*Fellow Hackers-- I have just started to play the game(about three weeks ago),  and I have just one complaint, the fact that in about two thirds of my games
I die from lack of food or its effects (fainting in front of a pack of Orcs!).
Why is there so little food in this game, it is plenty hard reguardless of this
feature?  I wouldn't mind if maybe 20% of the time I ran out, but I've had to
use wands of wishing  to gain food, and that seems like an awful waste! Am I
missing something? Is this apparent lack of food just an artifact of poor
playing skill? I could see if I was wasteful (a gourmond perhapes) but I
am more under the description of anorexic hording what little food I do recieve.Anyway the game is great, if a little frustrating, but some replies on how
to remedy this problem would be appreciated. --Thanks--
                                                         Jon Waggoner
                                                         UC Davis.
                                       ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!u555027396ea

:w
:wq
** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

noemi@rochester.UUCP (06/15/85)

>*Fellow Hackers-- I have just started to play the game(about three weeks ago),  and I have just one complaint, the fact that in about two thirds of my games
>I die from lack of food or its effects (fainting in front of a pack of Orcs!).
>Why is there so little food in this game, it is plenty hard reguardless of this
>feature?  I wouldn't mind if maybe 20% of the time I ran out, but I've had to
>use wands of wishing  to gain food, and that seems like an awful waste! Am I
>missing something? Is this apparent lack of food just an artifact of poor
>playing skill? I could see if I was wasteful (a gourmond perhapes) but I
>am more under the description of anorexic hording what little food I do recieve.Anyway the game is great, if a little frustrating, but some replies on how
>to remedy this problem would be appreciated. --Thanks--

	You *must* eat monsters along the way as a necessary supplement
to your diet.  You will learn which ones aren't so good to eat (kobolds,
acid blobs, homunculi); which give you certain abilities (Eye = telepathy;
leprechaun, nymph, tengu = teleportation; dragon = fire resistance; freezing
sphere = cold resistance etc.) AND which monsters are a lot of food (centaurs,
dragons, etc.).  See the hackhints for more info on which monsters are good
food.

steve@micomvax.UUCP (Steve Grice) (06/17/85)

In article <275@ucdavis.UUCP> u555027396ea@ucdavis.UUCP (Farin Reborn) writes:
>*Fellow Hackers-- I have just started to play the game(about three weeks ago),  and I have just one complaint, the fact that in about two thirds of my games
>I die from lack of food or its effects (fainting in front of a pack of Orcs!).
>Why is there so little food in this game, it is plenty hard reguardless of this
>feature?  I wouldn't mind if maybe 20% of the time I ran out, but I've had to
>use wands of wishing  to gain food, and that seems like an awful waste! Am I
>missing something? Is this apparent lack of food just an artifact of poor
>playing skill? I could see if I was wasteful (a gourmond perhapes) but I
>am more under the description of anorexic hording what little food I do recieve.Anyway the game is great, if a little frustrating, but some replies on how
>to remedy this problem would be appreciated. --Thanks--
>                                                         Jon Waggoner
>                                                         UC Davis.
>                                       ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!u555027396ea

In hack you are able to eat the monsters that you kill. Not all of them are
good for you, but some have special properties that give you teleportation
abilities, poison resistance and the ability to see when blind. Trial and
error (or a look at the source) is the only way to find out which monster
has what effect on you.

--

Steve Grice
philabs!micomvax!steve

steven@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/20/85)

In article <10216@rochester.UUCP> noemi@rochester.UUCP (Noemi Berry(for Lab Manager)) writes:
>	You *must* eat monsters along the way as a necessary supplement
>...See the hackhints for more info on which monsters are good
>food.

WHAT hackhints?
--
***