[net.games.hack] What should I wish for with a wand of wishing?

norcott@cca.UUCP (Bill Norcott) (06/15/85)

	I'm a little new to hack & I just found a wand of wishing on level 9.
I immediately wished for another wand of wishing (but the new one didn't work).

	What should I use the three wishes for? A wand of polymorph plus one of
taming would let me build an army of vicious monsters, wouldn't it?  If anyone
would like to share their "wish list" (maybe a scroll of genocide?) then feel
free...

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (06/17/85)

> 	I'm a little new to hack & I just found a wand of wishing on level 9.
> I immediately wished for another wand of wishing (but the new one didn't
> work).
>
> What should I use the three wishes for? A wand of polymorph plus one of
> taming would let me build an army of vicious monsters, wouldn't it?

First, wands of polymorph are probably too valuble to waste polymorphing
wimpy monsters.  Remember that you can use the polymorph to change potions
of blindness (for example) into potions of gain level (for example).
Secondly, trying to get that army of vicious monsters down the stairs would
be a bitch.

When you get a wand of wishing, you have 4 wishes.  The first three wishes
you get by simply zapping the wand.  For the fourth wish, you have one
chance in about one hundred of getting the wish on any given zap.  So
you should sit there and zap the wand a hundred or so times until you
stop getting the message "Nothing Happens" and get the message "you
wrest one more spell from the worn out wand --More--".

With my 4 wishes I wish for the following:

     1)  "3 scrolls of genocide" so I can get rid of cockatrices and
xans if I haven't already.  Typically, at this point I will save the
rest of the wishes for emergencies.  On the other hand, I've left a
couple of ghosts in the depths of the dungeon with unused wishes in
their packs.

     2)  "3 +3 crysknives" (I haven't yet figured out how to drop
two of these without having them turn into worm teeth.  Anyone want
to tell me?)

     3)  "+3 plate mail", "+3 pair of gloves", "+3 elven cloak"
depending on how good my armor is and what I need.  (Note that good
armor is probably more important than having a crysknife.)

     4)  "ring of teleport control", "ring of fire resistance",
"ring of levitation" if I need one.  Also "3 scrolls of teleport"(sp)
if I need one.  Sometimes I need "3 scrolls of remove curse" or
some similar scroll so that I can take off cursed rings so I can wear
the good ones.

Actually, after my scrolls of genocide, I wish for everything I need to
get me down to level 39.  I use the wand on level 38 to give me a good
weapon and reasonable armor class (-10 is reasonable).  I use the other
10 wands to wish for "3 diamonds".  I walked out of the dungeon the other
day with 104 diamonds and the amulet of yendor...

-- Chuck

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (06/23/85)

In article <3257@dartvax.UUCP> chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) writes:
>> 	I'm a little new to hack & I just found a wand of wishing on level 9.
>> I immediately wished for another wand of wishing (but the new one didn't
>> work).
>>
>> What should I use the three wishes for? A wand of polymorph plus one of
>> taming would let me build an army of vicious monsters, wouldn't it?

>     2)  "3 +3 crysknives" (I haven't yet figured out how to drop
>two of these without having them turn into worm teeth.  Anyone want
>to tell me?)

Chuck,
	I really can't see why you'd want to drop any of the crysknives.
Wield *all* of them:  then wish for 3 scrolls of enchant weapon.  When you
read the scrolls, you'll probably run into the evaporation point: however,
only *one* of the weapons evaporates; the rest get the full plusses.  It is
thus quite possible to end up with 1 +12 crysknife, and, believe me, there
aren't many monsters that can stand up to one of those.

								Kay.
--
"In a world without rational structure, even the most bizarre events must
eventually take place."   -- Philip Avalon, "On the Resurrection of Reagan"

			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!flame!kay