[net.games.hack] Crypts & Wraiths

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/13/85)

**** FLAME ON ****

Why the HELL are wraiths in crypts automatically tainted?  One thing I hate
about Adventure-style games is that they are filled with completely
arbitrary gotchas (just like this).  Why put this kind of stupid trick into
hack?  Just to screw a person's game up (once)?

					-- Scott

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (06/17/85)

In article <6001@ucla-cs.ARPA> srt@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>**** FLAME ON ****
>
>Why the HELL are wraiths in crypts automatically tainted?  One thing I hate
>about Adventure-style games is that they are filled with completely
>arbitrary gotchas (just like this).  Why put this kind of stupid trick into
>hack?  Just to screw a person's game up (once)?
>
>					-- Scott

"The bolt of fire misses.  The bolt of fire bounces.  -- More --"
"The bolt of fire hits Scott"

The wraiths aren't automatically tainted.  As with any corpse they
become tainted if you leave them too long without eating them.

	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller
ARPA:	@berkeley.arpa:kneller@ucsf-cgl.arpa

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (06/17/85)

In article <6001@ucla-cs.ARPA> srt@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>Why the HELL are wraiths in crypts automatically tainted?  One thing I hate
>about Adventure-style games is that they are filled with completely
>arbitrary gotchas (just like this).  Why put this kind of stupid trick into
>hack?  Just to screw a person's game up (once)?

Why is this silly and arbitrary?

Aren't Wraiths dead things that have been dead for a LONG time?????

What happens to meat that's been dead and left out for a long time????

Doesn't it become rather poisonous?????

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (06/18/85)

In article <1884@ukma.UUCP> david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) writes:
>Aren't Wraiths dead things that have been dead for a LONG time?????
>
>What happens to meat that's been dead and left out for a long time????
>
>Doesn't it become rather poisonous?????

Although I agree with David, I do feel that the game is plagued with
some consistency problems and some outright silliness.

For example:

I battle it out with a zombie (a foul smelling undead creature, often
with masses of rotting flesh dangling to and fro while he walks). The
zombie hits!.  After beating on him for a while, I destroy him.  Now
first of all, I would like to know how the zombie is hitting me.  With
his fists?  My plate mail should stop that. With a sword or knife?
Possibly, but I never seem to find any after I kill him. Maybe he just
gets gook on me and it sort of causes me to rot away.

Ok so now this zombie is destroyed, deanimated. I've dismembered him so
much that he can't get up (or burned him, or fried him, etc.). I'm
feeling mighty hungry so I just walk up and start eating him.  Gimme a
break!  Groosss!  And I don't get sick and die!

I'd like to see small creatures bite you instead of hit you.  I'd also like
to see less food consumption in the game.  It's not BC's quest for
food, it's hack, the *adventure* game.  Throw in some interesting
situations (ala Adventure, Enchanter, Zork, etc.) where you combine
things to solve problems.  Make the rooms zaggy, whoever heard of a
dungeon with only square rooms?  Have a facility for reincarnation (or
two), just so that those nasty unexpected traps (you can't swim!) don't
wipe you out for good after you have worked so hard.

Sean

--

-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
-  Department of Mathematics		ARPA:	ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (06/19/85)

> Why the HELL are wraiths in crypts automatically tainted?  One thing I hate
> about Adventure-style games is that they are filled with completely
> arbitrary gotchas (just like this).  Why put this kind of stupid trick into
> hack?  Just to screw a person's game up (once)?

This isn't arbitrary, it's completely consistent with this world.  All
corpses older than 50 turns (except lizards) are potentially tainted.
It's unreasonable to expect that a corpse in a morgue died within the
last 50 turns.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/21/85)

In article <544@ucsfcgl.UUCP> kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller) writes:

>The wraiths aren't automatically tainted.  As with any corpse they
>become tainted if you leave them too long without eating them.
>
>	Don Kneller

Uh, duh.  I know that corpses become tainted after a while.  The point is,
I ate these corpses immediately after killing them, and they were tainted.
So the question is, why?

						-- Scott Turner

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/22/85)

> In article <544@ucsfcgl.UUCP> kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller) writes:
> >
> >The wraiths aren't automatically tainted.  As with any corpse they
> >become tainted if you leave them too long without eating them.
> >
> >	Don Kneller
>
> Uh, duh.  I know that corpses become tainted after a while.  The point is,
> I ate these corpses immediately after killing them, and they were tainted.
> So the question is, why?
>
> 						-- Scott Turner

I think (not sure) that there is some kind of probabilty that this will
happen. I am not sure but i will look into it...
By the way, I have never encountered this problem due to the fact
that i eat the corpse as soon as possible....(like after the kill)

		Ryan

.ex
.s

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (06/24/85)

> >The wraiths aren't automatically tainted.  As with any corpse they
> >become tainted if you leave them too long without eating them.
> >

> Uh, duh.  I know that corpses become tainted after a while.  The point is,
> I ate these corpses immediately after killing them, and they were tainted.
> So the question is, why?
>
> 						-- Scott Turner

From a glance at the code, there is always one truly dead body in the
morgue to begin with.  Otherwise, how could it be called a morgue?

jeff m

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (06/24/85)

This is actually a reply about zombies. Have you ever seen "Night of
the Living Dead", or "Dawn of the Dead"? If you have, you might
understand how a zombie can kill you, and how you could eat it.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review