[net.games.hack] slight spoiler

kscott@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Kevin Scott%Kuntz) (06/22/85)

Bummer.  Just lost my first good game of the new hack.  Extend the bug about
not recieving a "you're having a hard time getting all that food down" line
when eating corpses to include royal jelly.  I suspect that apples, tins, and
tripe are probably not covered by that choke warning, hopefully some coder will
check it out.

mike@genat.UUCP (Mike Stephenson) (06/24/85)

> Bummer.  Just lost my first good game of the new hack.  Extend the bug about
> not recieving a "you're having a hard time getting all that food down" line
> when eating corpses to include royal jelly.  I suspect that apples, tins, and
> tripe are probably not covered by that choke warning, hopefully some coder will
> check it out.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FAVORITE FOOD ***

Sorry, it applies to *all* food type items.  Hack uses a point system for
determining the food value of a particular item.
The number of "food points" you have go up as you eat and down with time.
The status messages at the right hand side of the status line are generated
depending on the food point number.  The "Choke" messages are generated
whenever you attempt to eat something when the number of "food points" you
have exceed a certain value *at the time you start eating*.

							Mike Stephenson

cs1@oddjob.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (06/24/85)

Question:  I find a clove of garlic--can I wield it against a vampyre?
--

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (06/27/85)

In article <2039@genat.UUCP> mike@genat.UUCP (Mike Stephenson) writes:
>> Bummer.  Just lost my first good game of the new hack.  Extend the bug about
>> not recieving a "you're having a hard time getting all that food down" line
>> when eating corpses to include royal jelly.  I suspect that apples, tins, and
>> tripe are probably not covered by that choke warning, hopefully some coder will
>> check it out.
>
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FAVORITE FOOD ***
>
>Sorry, it applies to *all* food type items.  Hack uses a point system for
>determining the food value of a particular item.
>The number of "food points" you have go up as you eat and down with time.
>The status messages at the right hand side of the status line are generated
>depending on the food point number.  The "Choke" messages are generated
>whenever you attempt to eat something when the number of "food points" you
>have exceed a certain value *at the time you start eating*.
>
>							Mike Stephenson

What the first posting was explaining is only when eating FOOD RATIONS
do you get the warning message "You're having a hard time getting all
that food down".

This warning appears when you are close to choking on your food.
For all other type of edibles you can choke without warning (although
you have to be satiated first -- you can't choke on any type of edible
if you aren't satiated, so satiation is a warning in itself).

	Don Kneller

kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) (07/01/85)

In article <559@ucsfcgl.UUCP> kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller) writes:
>                             ....you can't choke on any type of edible
>if you aren't satiated, so satiation is a warning in itself).

Well, the above isn't true. Some monsters are just so large that they give
more food than you normally can manage to get down.

[Next section is a spoiler (rot13)]

	Gur uhatel fgnghf vf onfrq ba gur sbyybjvat gnoyr:

	orybj mreb:		Snvagvat.
	mreb gb ncc. uhaqerq	Jrnx.
	uhaqerq gb 700		Abg uhatel.
	700 gb 1500		Fngvngrq.

	N qrnq qentba qryviref 1500 sbbq-cbvagf, fb lbh unir gb or
	snvagvat orsber rngvat n qentba.

[End of spoiler section (back to rot26)]

Another thing that bothers me in hack is that you just eat a dead yeti or
a dead dragon -- Just like this consuming virtually no time. Well these
creatures are enormous and *CAN'T* just be eaten, of cause you can eat
a part of such a creature but not all.
--
Kim Chr. Madsen   Datalogisk Institut (Institute of CS)
		  University of Copenhagen