[net.games.hack] Suggested hack modifications

louns@uw-june (Michael Lounsbery) (05/31/85)

1) I really don't like the fact that a pickaxe can't dig into a shop wall.
After all, what's the fun of playing a wimpy speleologist if you can't
swindle the shopkeepers.  It's bad enough that the shopkeepers won't allow
pickaxes inside (which is understandable), but even if you do figure a way to
sneak them in past the shopkeeper, and bang the wall, you get a message like
"This wall seems to be too hard."  (Which makes me wonder why the shopkeepers
even bother checking in the first place.)

2) As for the issue of simply counting your gold by dropping it and picking
it back up, maybe the solution would be to have some of it get lost (roll
into a crack in the floor) when it's dropped.

3) Maybe the wand of freezing could be used to ice over the top of a pond,
or the wand of fire could be used to evaporate the water (possibly creating
a pit in its place).

					Michael

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (05/31/85)

In article <125@uw-june> louns@uw-june (Michael Lounsbery) writes:
>1) I really don't like the fact that a pickaxe can't dig into a shop wall.
>After all, what's the fun of playing a wimpy speleologist if you can't
>swindle the shopkeepers...

	You can, however, dig on the FLOOR!

>2) As for the issue of simply counting your gold by dropping it and picking
>it back up, maybe the solution would be to have some of it get lost (roll
>into a crack in the floor) when it's dropped.

	It's been said before: #define GOLD_ON_BOTL in hack.pri.c, to get your
gold printed in the bottom line.

>3) Maybe the wand of freezing could be used to ice over the top of a pond,
>or the wand of fire could be used to evaporate the water (possibly creating
>a pit in its place).

	I don't know about the wand of freezing, but the wand of fire DOES
	evaporate the ponds. I think that dragon's breath does that too.

The above hints apply for hack 1.0.2.
--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) (07/09/85)

> 1) I really don't like the fact that a pickaxe can't dig into a shop wall.
> After all, what's the fun of playing a wimpy speleologist if you can't
> swindle the shopkeepers.  It's bad enough that the shopkeepers won't allow
> pickaxes inside (which is understandable), but even if you do figure a way to
> sneak them in past the shopkeeper, and bang the wall, you get a message like
> "This wall seems to be too hard."  (Which makes me wonder why the shopkeepers
> even bother checking in the first place.)

A "wimpy" speleologist can become a HIGH-scoring character if he manages to
find the common wand of polymorph and uses a little smarts.

Dan Gold

...ucbvax!ucdavis!minnie:ccrdan