[net.games.hack] Special Rooms

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (05/10/85)

1. Morgue :
   I was playing as a wizard and got teleported into a morgue.  I read a
   scroll of light and found that around me was a solid wall of Z, W and
   ' 's. So I teleported out again since my hp was rather low.  But when
   I made my way back to the room again it was empty!  Is that a feature?
   does it have to do with me lighting up the room or teleporting out?

2. Zoo :
   once I was lucky enuf to get a zoo.  Two Leppies were merrily
   picking up the gold while I was fighting the other monsters.  However,
   when i killed every one of them, there were no gold left behind by
   the Leppies.  Where did all the $ go??

Answers will be much appreciated!! TNX in advance!!

--
"Some say that knowledge is something that you'll never have"
				    - "Sat in your Lap" Kate Bush

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (05/10/85)

Oops, I should've waited a bit longer before I post the last article,
because when I want down to the next level from the morgue level
ALL THE UNDEAD WERE THERE!  But I still don't know what happened.
There couldn't have been a trap door in the morgue that all of them
fall thru, could there???

--

steve@micomvax.UUCP (Steve Grice) (05/13/85)

In article <138@utflis.UUCP> chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:

>2. Zoo :
>   once I was lucky enuf to get a zoo.  Two Leppies were merrily
>   picking up the gold while I was fighting the other monsters.  However,
>   when i killed every one of them, there were no gold left behind by
>   the Leppies.  Where did all the $ go??

There must have been a dead monster on top of all the gold. I had the same
thing happen to me, I dropped all of my stuff, picked up a monster and lo
and behold found over 3000 pieces of gold.

>--
>"Some say that knowledge is something that you'll never have"
>				    - "Sat in your Lap" Kate Bush
>Henry Chai
>Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto
>{watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utzoo!utflis!chai

--

Steve Grice
philabs!micomvax!steve

peterb@pbear.UUCP (05/14/85)

If you left a morgue (or Graveyard) after wakening any monster in it,
all of the monsters will wake up and start heading in your direction.

So if you returned to the room by a different route, the monsters may not have
had enough time to return.

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet | harvard!ima}!pbear!peterb

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (05/14/85)

> In article <138@utflis.UUCP> chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:
>

> >2. Zoo :
> >   once I was lucky enuf to get a zoo.  Two Leppies were merrily
> >   picking up the gold while I was fighting the other monsters.  However,
> >   when i killed every one of them, there were no gold left behind by
> >   the Leppies.  Where did all the $ go??
> >

> There must have been a dead monster on top of all the gold. I had the same
> thing happen to me, I dropped all of my stuff, picked up a monster and lo
> and behold found over 3000 pieces of gold.
>
> Steve Grice
> philabs!micomvax!steve

I think another possibility is that once the Leppies collected all
they wanted, they teleported out with their booty.  They do this
under normal circumstances, so I don't see why they shouldn't do
it in a zoo.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

df@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Fox) (05/15/85)

> > >   once I was lucky enuf to get a zoo.  Two Leppies were merrily
> > >   picking up the gold while I was fighting the other monsters.  However,
> > >   when i killed every one of them, there were no gold left behind by
> > >   the Leppies.  Where did all the $ go??
> > >
> > There must have been a dead monster on top of all the gold. I had the same
> > thing happen to me, I dropped all of my stuff, picked up a monster and lo
> > and behold found over 3000 pieces of gold.
> > Steve Grice
>
> I think another possibility is that once the Leppies collected all
> they wanted, they teleported out with their booty.  They do this
> under normal circumstances, so I don't see why they shouldn't do
> it in a zoo.
>
> Lewis Barnett
I tend to agree with Lewis - the gold went with the Leppies.
I recently caught a treasure zoo. (Put on my ring of conflict - great fun).
I was able to pick up all the gold in any pile, but the corpses and
other booty depended on my carrying ability - gold doesn't seem to affect that.
But I'm also still playing 1.0.1. Maybe it's changed in 1.0.2.

Question - what is the potion that gives the message :
  "Wow - do you feel great!" ????
Sometimes I've failed to see any effect, and sometimes I've seen my strength
increase.

Some other hack hints:
A piece of armor CAN be rusted down past -3. I had a splint mail go to -8,
giving me an AC of 12! Chucked that baby.

If your dog precedes you down a trap door, he does not go wild, but he is on
the edge. One accidental bump, and he turns on you. Make sure you feed him
something to prevent this - you'll get "the little dog devours _____".

Dave Fox
...!dual!ptsfa!df

jrg@hpda.UUCP (Jeff Glasson) (05/17/85)

> > In article <138@utflis.UUCP> chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:
> >

> > >2. Zoo :
> > >   once I was lucky enuf to get a zoo.  Two Leppies were merrily
> > >   picking up the gold while I was fighting the other monsters.  However,
> > >   when i killed every one of them, there were no gold left behind by
> > >   the Leppies.  Where did all the $ go??
> > >

> > There must have been a dead monster on top of all the gold. I had the same
> > thing happen to me, I dropped all of my stuff, picked up a monster and lo
> > and behold found over 3000 pieces of gold.
> >
> > Steve Grice
> > philabs!micomvax!steve
>
> I think another possibility is that once the Leppies collected all
> they wanted, they teleported out with their booty.  They do this
> under normal circumstances, so I don't see why they shouldn't do
> it in a zoo.

I too found a zoo and then kill an orc who had over 4000 gold on him.
It looks like orcs pickup gold too.

Jeff Glasson
Hewlett-Packard ISO
ucbvax!hpda!jrg

barton@osu-eddie.UUCP (Gary Barton) (05/22/85)

> Question - what is the potion that gives the message :
>   "Wow - do you feel great!" ????
> Sometimes I've failed to see any effect, and sometimes I've seen my strength
> increase.
>
> Some other hack hints:
> A piece of armor CAN be rusted down past -3. I had a splint mail go to -8,
> giving me an AC of 12! Chucked that baby.
>
> If your dog precedes you down a trap door, he does not go wild, but he is on
> the edge. One accidental bump, and he turns on you. Make sure you feed him
> something to prevent this - you'll get "the little dog devours _____".
>
> Dave Fox
> ...!dual!ptsfa!df

*** REPLACE THIS CHEAP IMITATION LINE WITH A REAL MESSAGE ***

The potion you quaffed was a potion of restore strength.  This explains why
sometimes your strength is changed and sometimes not.
--
				Gary Barton
			        Ohio State University

The views expressed here are :
     1) of questionable utility,intelligence,authenticity, & legality.
     2) generically disclaimed.

In article <646@ptsfa.UUCP> df@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Fox) writes:

>Question - what is the potion that gives the message :
>  "Wow - do you feel great!" ????
>Sometimes I've failed to see any effect, and sometimes I've seen my strength
>increase.

	It is called Restore Strength. It puts your strength back up
to its maximum after it has been reduced(by an Ant or weakness due to
lack of food).
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

dianeh@ism70.UUCP (05/24/85)

>If your dog precedes you down a trap door, he does not go wild, but he is on
>the edge. One accidental bump, and he turns on you. Make sure you feed him
>something to prevent this - you'll get "the little dog devours _____".
>
>Dave Fox
>...!dual!ptsfa!df
>----------

I've tried this, but my dog won't eat anything I drop for him. Is there a
special command for feeding your dog (I've just 'd'ropped things for him
to eat), or is this only true for version 1.0.[12] (I'm running version 1)?

Also, if I pick up a monster corpse and don't eat it right away, it (quietly)
disappears from my pack. Is this supposed to happen? I lost a Leprechaun
this way.

Diane Holt
decvax!vortex!ISM780!dianeh
cca!ima!ISM780!dianeh

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (05/26/85)

In article <18800001@ism70.UUCP> dianeh@ism70.UUCP writes:

>>If your dog precedes you down a trap door, he does not go wild, but he is on
>>the edge. One accidental bump, and he turns on you. Make sure you feed him
>>something to prevent this - you'll get "the little dog devours _____".

Throw the food AT the dog.

--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

bryan@galbp.UUCP (Bryan Ivey) (05/29/85)

In article <> dianeh@ism70.UUCP writes:
>Also, if I pick up a monster corpse and don't eat it right away, it (quietly)
>disappears from my pack. Is this supposed to happen? I lost a Leprechaun
>this way.

All corpses rot!  If you are brave enough to eat a corpse, at least make
sure it is fresh!

Bryan Ivey

barton@osu-eddie.UUCP (Gary Barton) (05/31/85)

In article <18800001@ism70.UUCP> dianeh@ism70.UUCP writes:

>>If your dog precedes you down a trap door, he does not go wild, but he is on
>>the edge. One accidental bump, and he turns on you. Make sure you feed him
>>something to prevent this - you'll get "the little dog devours _____".
>>
>>Dave Fox
>>...!dual!ptsfa!df
>>----------
>
>I've tried this, but my dog won't eat anything I drop for him. Is there a
>special command for feeding your dog (I've just 'd'ropped things for him
>to eat), or is this only true for version 1.0.[12] (I'm running version 1)?
>
>Also, if I pick up a monster corpse and don't eat it right away, it (quietly)
>disappears from my pack. Is this supposed to happen? I lost a Leprechaun
>this way.
>
>Diane Holt
>decvax!vortex!ISM780!dianeh
>cca!ima!ISM780!dianeh

You don't want to drop it for him.  What you want to do is get in a line
with him and throw the food at the dog.

Also, Do not eat monsters corpses that have been around say more than about 50
turns.  If you do, you will get the message :
  Uuch -- tainted meat !!

and a few moves later you'll see :
You die of food poisoning --more--

Monster corpses decay, and must be eaten quickly.  After a while, the dead
monster will disappear from the game whether it is on the floor of the
dungeon or in your pack !!

--
				Gary Barton
			        Ohio State University
				(UUCP: cbosgd!osu-eddie!barton)
				(CSNet: barton@ohio-state)
                                (ARPA:  barton%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)

The views expressed here are :
     1) of questionable utility,intelligence,authenticity, & legality.
     2) generically disclaimed.

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (07/24/85)

What good are the little hack dogs?  Does naming them have any effect?

tsao@iitcs.UUCP (Wen Tsao) (07/30/85)

Expires:

   I was wondering if Hack could be reposted on the Network and if not
   could a executable or souce copy be mailed to me so that it can be
   installed on my system that is running 4.2 Berkley.  It would be
   greatly appreciated since that I have been reading about it for weekes

                                        Thank you