[net.games.hack] *SPOILER* Good uses of bad magic + questions

petrick@lll-crg.ARPA (Jim Petrick) (08/04/85)

	I have been playing for a few weeks and just can't figure out how to
use some of the things I've found.  I'd appreciate some hints. . .

	What can you use a blank scroll for?

	Is there any way to find out whats in a tin without eating it?

	What is a potion that causes 'Your legs feel better' msg to appear
	called?  What does a xan do when it pricks your legs? You collapse
	under your load, but your strength remains the same.  Any way to avoid
	these little pricks (pun intended)?

	I killed a dragon, but even dropping everything, and with 18/00
	strength couldn't lift it.  I read in the notes that eating one had
	a side effect, so how do I do it?

	Is there a way to get beyond levels with mazes?

	I'd also like to hear of any other clever tricks people have thought
	out or discovered such as reading scrolls when confused to make them
	do novel things.

The following are some neat things we've come up with playing PC-HACK
version 2.nn on a DEC Rainbow.  They may not work for you.

                ********** SPOILER STARTS ********

	How about using a haste monster on your dog?

	Try eating a floating eye, then quaffing a potion of blindness.

	Try the undocumented ^T command.  You may need a side effect for
	it to work.

	Try using the heavy iron ball from a scroll of punishment as a weapon
	especially good for throwing (once you get it off).

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (08/07/85)

To: sdcrdcf!sdcsvax!dcdwest!ittatc!decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!lll-crg!petrick
Subject: Re: *SPOILER* Good uses of bad magic + questions
Newsgroups: net.games.hack
Bcc:

In article <759@lll-crg.ARPA> you write:

>	I have been playing for a few weeks and just can't figure out how to
>use some of the things I've found.  I'd appreciate some hints. . .
>
>	What can you use a blank scroll for?
Absolutely Nothing

>	Is there any way to find out whats in a tin without eating it?
No

>	What is a potion that causes 'Your legs feel better' msg to appear
>	called?  What does a xan do when it pricks your legs? You collapse
>	under your load, but your strength remains the same.  Any way to avoid
>	these little pricks (pun intended)?
A potion of speed will heal your legs.  Also, eating royal jelly will work too.
When a xan pricks your legs he injures them so you cannot carry all of your
goodies anymore.  You must either quaff a potion of speed, eat royal jelly,
or drop some stuff.  You can avoid these little pricks by reading a scroll
of genocide and trashing them.

>	I killed a dragon, but even dropping everything, and with 18/00
>	strength couldn't lift it.  I read in the notes that eating one had
>	a side effect, so how do I do it?
You don't need to pick something up to eat it.  Just move on top of it by
typing "m" followed by the direction.  To look at what is under you type ":"
Once you are over the dragon, type "e" and you will be prompted whether you
want to eat the dragon.  Munching mister dragon gives you fire resistance.

>	Is there a way to get beyond levels with mazes?
No.  Lowest level is 39 which is a maze.

>	I'd also like to hear of any other clever tricks people have thought
>	out or discovered such as reading scrolls when confused to make them
>	do novel things.
Reading a scroll of teleportation while confused will teleport you to
a different level.  There is more to this, but you will figure it out
if you think about it.

If you read an enchant armor or enchant weapon scroll while confused, you
will "rust-proof" the item it affects.  This is good protection from R's.

			Happy Hacking!
--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Tom Levin   {ttidca|sdcrdcf|logico|scgvaxd|bellcore}!psivax!tommie      |

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (08/14/85)

In article <759@lll-crg.ARPA> petrick@lll-crg.UUCP (Jim petrick) writes:

>	Is there any way to find out whats in a tin without eating it?

What you get from a tin is decided randomly when you eat it.
There is a 0.5 chance that you would get spinach, and the probability
is 1/12 for each of the following (shown with their nutritional value):
  	rotten meat		-50
  	empty			0
  	apple juice 		20
  	peaches 		40
  	salmon	 		60
  	nondescript substance	500
(spinach is 600)
--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto